A Whiffie - Heinkel He-177Z A2 - Anti-Shipping version

trickyrich

Looks a bit rude, doesn't it?

I thought it looked like a cartoon character. Clearly been watching too much kids TV...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks a bit rude, doesn't it?

Procopius

if any bit of you is that shade of green, I would see a doctor ASAP

Rich

You disappoint me, a real Aussie would have taken his kits with him in the Ute when he took his mrs away on the holiday surely !

Cheers Pat

Procopius

if any bit of you is that shade of green, I would see a doctor ASAP

Rich

You disappoint me, a real Aussie would have taken his kits with him in the Ute when he took his mrs away on the holiday surely !

Cheers Pat

Arrr no else she would have wanted to buy too many things plus it's a long way from home, up the very north east of Oz! See this way I keep the wife happy which means the stash is allowed to grow bigger!

I already have another one, model that is waiting for me when I get home!

An anti-shipping He177 Zwilling? Good 'Greif'....

...... sorry.

And you can go sit in the corner too! :)

Interesting stuff :) With the new centre elevator in place, the rearward facing "stinger" on the centre engine nacelle will have a necessarily limited field of fire. Maybe it could be used for strafing as the aircraft leaves a target? The rest looks pretty believable though, although the green putty will need a bit of work to obliterate the grain and cracking caused by the shrinkage. You'd probably have been better using Milliput for that sort of task ;)

Interesting stuff :) With the new centre elevator in place, the rearward facing "stinger" on the centre engine nacelle will have a necessarily limited field of fire. Maybe it could be used for strafing as the aircraft leaves a target? The rest looks pretty believable though, although the green putty will need a bit of work to obliterate the grain and cracking caused by the shrinkage. You'd probably have been better using Milliput for that sort of task ;)

The green stuff is just the base filler for the rest of the work, actually there isn't that much used as underneath there is lots of plastic. This gun pod is a replacement for one of the guns in the lower gondoliers, so is only really for lower protection.....well that's the plan. Have found some really nice white Tamiya putty for the final finish, so hopefully I'll have a nice smooth finish.

Seeing as you were nice enough to visit I would like to ask a question on behalf of the Whiffy members....I would call us freaks but we are actually nice people! Is there a possibility for us the Whiffies to have a permenant pinned chat section like in some of the other sections and a galley section within this WhatIf section of Britmodeller? At the moment we are just running a chat section as a continuous thread.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have done a bit more to this but just been a bit lazy and not taken any photos!

Basically finished mods to centre wing, pretty well finished shaping of gun pod but may still do some minor changes, and have joined both fuselages to centre wing.

will post some more photos shortly, now MiG -21 is almost done will devote more time to this project!

well I'm finally back to this project, the MiG is finished! :yahoo: I'm really proud of the finish on that one, so if you get the chance please go have a look..........plus I have a feeling the masks may appear again very shortly!! :wicked:

Ok the beast, I have done quite a bit to this and have matured the design quite a bit as I go......

DSCF1214_zps1d5929e4.jpg

I have joined the centre wing and fuselage together.....

DSCF1215_zps0255be69.jpg

...you can now see the new radiator for the centre engines plus the new weapons panniers, yes almost flush mounted weapons.

DSCF1216_zps7d81fa13.jpg

Finally decided on the tail assembly, is very much in the Blohm & Voss style.

DSCF1217_zps06d5fc6b.jpg

Additional intakes for the DB-620's

DSCF1221_zps8c22c053.jpg

Final shape the the cannon fairing, the new crew entry door to the starboard fuselage will be a two part door assembly behind the cannon fairing. The lower part will fold down behind the fairing and where the rear facing gun was will be the upper part of the door which will fold up and back. I'll have all the hatches open on the completed model!

DSCF1222_zps421d930b.jpg

The new recessed weapons mounts are detachable panniers that can be swapped around depending on the weapons fitted, as there is no longer a bomb bay.

DSCF1219_zpsb082a79f.jpg

Started playing with some of the weapon choices.....modifications to those shown are still to occur!

DSCF1220_zps25d9d61e.jpg

and a wee bit of painting.

DSCF1224_zps90e09021.jpg

It's getting closer, if I can stop making any more modifications I can have the major assembly finished before I go back to work! I'm really happy with the shape and layout, so I just need to pull my finger out and finish the mods and glue the big bits together!!

• Like 3

That looks like a lorra lorra fun Rich, but I'm still having problems with the stinger. It's still got a very narrow arc of fire, and if you've kept the rear turret on the port tail, it's fairly redundant as a rear firing platform. What about a turret hanging down between the fuselages to give a good range of fire in the belly areas? Drill a big 'ole in it and drop in the turret upside down :wicked:

Had thought about that, but this beast is purely anti-shipping and will operate at lower altitudes, this far out to sea fighters coming from underneath won't be a problem. Coming from anywhere in the rear sectors and they have anything up to 8 machine guns and two 20mm cannons to deal with! Plus the rearwards FuG240 radar will give them ample warning.....hopefully!

ok this is the final update for a few weeks as I'm back to work tomorrow!

Now the MiG is do I can and have spent more time on this even though I said I would try and finish the Tigercat!

Have made lots of progress and the end is now in site, all the mod’s are done so it’s just the final stages of a normal build before painting!

DSCF1225_zps4e605b8b.jpg

Is now looking like the beast I have planned, fitted the turret units, fit was poor so there was a lot of cleaning up to get the joins sorted out. She'll certainly be impressive when finished, unfortunately we don't have many shows down here (not that I ever show) so other than on this site she'll never be seen when completed, which will be a bit sad!

DSCF1226_zps493985dd.jpg

Secondary cockpit closed up, maked off an fill unwanted windows in cockpit.

DSCF1227_zps39814807.jpg

Starting the add final bits to main cockpit before closing up.

DSCF1228_zps1aba8dbb.jpg

Finally go rear gun together just needs to be masked and painted.

DSCF1230_zps558cd498.jpg

Gun fairing is finished, just need to make new entry doors.

DSCF1231_zps6c4dbedd.jpg

Big think that goes bang! Closed up the secondary cockpit and have filled it from set of windows, just need to be sanded down now, then that parts complete....oh and barrel mounting has to be finished, it's just sitting there for the photos.

DSCF1232_zpsde3167c2.jpg

lots of undercarriage bits, you'd have to be a midget to fit into that turret!

DSCF1233_zpsf955a59a.jpg

Well I did have all three finished right up till I dropped a freshly coated one one the ground and the dust bunnies pounced.........so have to started redoing one! :doh:

Hopefully next brake I should have it painted well hopefully........just have to finalise the scheme..... The main part of the masks from the Splinter MiG may still be used, am thinking RLM76 all over with upper and fuselage sides RLM 74/75 splinter, that’s if I don’t come up with something else!

Oh and I have been thinking about it's bigger brother as well of late. The Amerika Bomber (when I start next year) will be nearly twice the size, extended fuselage's, 4 engines, 4 jets, and the leftover wings/engine from this build will become part of a mounted drone (may even start that one sooner) that will carry an atomic bomb! :wicked:

• Like 4

Not only do you show us this amazing machine but then add a description of an even more amazing machine Rich. This looks stunning and the Amerika Bomber sounds fantastic.

ha ha, if you're all really good I may draw up the ideas for the Amerika Bomber over the next couple of weeks while I'm away.

The idea has progressed much further than the original one, had planned 5 engines but that makes things a complicated...and big! Not sure if i'll extended the wings or not, may just extend the wing tips similar to that done on the ju388's. The fuselage will be extended for and aft of the wings!

May even start planning the "Drone" to go with it as well!!

Hi Rich

That looks really amazing Well Done on the concept and execution. I love it!

Inspired by other posts I've got another E.555 and Horten. As soon as I'm moved they'll be on the bench...Don't you just love the property professionals?

Hi Rich

That looks really amazing Well Done on the concept and execution. I love it!

Inspired by other posts I've got another E.555 and Horten. As soon as I'm moved they'll be on the bench...Don't you just love the property professionals?

Thanks, I'm having fun with this build.

Ooo they're both nice aircraft, just perfect for moding or even just building normal! Oh I hate moving, done it too many times!!!

I think I have a 1/48 resin Ju-388 Nightfighter just crying out to be built (actually have 2x 188's, and 2x 388's and 1x 388 conversion kit all 1/48), so may just have to satisfy that urge. Though it will be hard to choose between that and the Horten Nightfighter build!!

Spot on. :goodjob:

Looks far more advanced than my basic design from last year.

I liked your design a lot, was very clever and very Luft46.

This build was originally planned for the WhatIf III GB if it went ahead. Now I'm sort of glad in one way (I know that sounds bad, think it was a sad day for BM when it didn't get up, is such a fun event for all) as it has meant I have had more time to spend on this build. Instead of a sort of rush build I can take my time and do it right.

I want to produce a model that will make people wonder if it did actually exist, if can I pull that off I'll be very happy!

Looking really good Rich, I am definitely taking inspiration from this. Keep at it, we're all dying to see this painted and displayed. :)

cheers, am really hoping to start paint next break home.....just over two weeks to go!

Thanks

Well my shift is very boring, only half way through, so decided to bring the laptop to work and do some drawings......

Have been thinking more about my "Amerika Bomber" project, so decided to get them down in drawings before I forget.

First off there's a name change, seeing the He-277 was an actual aircraft and someone else has used the He-377, I am now calling this one the He-477.

Due to some big differences to the He-177Z I'm building, namely size, the Z needs to be dropped as this is a different aircraft.

The wings are extended along with the fuselage, nearly twice the wingspan of an normal He-177 and quite a bit longer!!

So the beasty is officially the He-477 A7/R3!

If the internet plays the game I'll upload it tonight when I get back to my room.