A Whiffie - Heinkel He-177Z A2 - Anti-Shipping version

trickyrich

Mein Gott!

The stresses on that mainspar must have been horrendous.

I feel like Heinkel, throughout the war, was focused on building the most elaborate deathtraps they could come up with. They must have been livid when Bachem came out with the Natter.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I’m still amazed at the pictures!!! My friend is traveling with work at the moment so I can’t get any more details.

I’m having upload troubles due to my remote location, these are a couple more I managed to load…took forever!

He-177Zphotos6_zps42c1fc7d.jpg

it's hard to see on this but there is a green (?) one in the background

He-177Zphotos5_zpsee4a45d3.jpg

and guess this one is a Grey one, though it is a bit hard to see!

I will return to the beast when I get back home….3 nightsleeps….opps I mean nightshifts to go!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm back from oblivion...well North West WA and back to a sort-off normal life again.

Ok not an awful lot of progress made, been catching up on other stuff I had been putting off, plus trying to sort out the tiny details of this build.

DSCF1751_zps4c80220f.jpg

DSCF1750_zps759f7c03.jpg

Am at the 95% mark with completing this and as always this seems to take the most time. All the doors and bits have been painted an mostly fitted. Knocked out most of the smaller clears windows as they were horrible and have remade them with Krystal Klear, much better, may do that for some of the larger windows as well.

DSCF1749_zpsca055aa7.jpg

Undercarriage doors proved to be a bit of a pain, close-up photos of these areas aren’t that clear, but looks ok.

DSCF1748_zpsca011e46.jpg

Will close-up the rest of the glazing today once I’ve evicted the dust bunnies!

Played around with my weapons pannier and mounts, not quite what I’m after, but may use it for now rather than delay work, really want to get this one completed....before Xmas!

Most of the time has been spent though on the weapons, not 100% on the final fit out, but getting there!

DSCF1747_zps0eb77ee8.jpg

With ref to the photo from top left;

Weapons mounts, future large guided missile/bomb

Hs-295 (started), 2x Ruhrstahl X-4’s (for air defence)

Hs-293 A, Hs-293 D, 2x Hs-293 C-1’s

LT 950 T Glider Torpedo, GT 1200A

Not sure of the final combo’s yet.

Will try and make a big push this weekend to get it out of the way.

• Like 3

ok have managed to get back to this build...gotta finish it before the year is up!

No additional work to the aircraft as I ran out of paint!! My only jar of RLM02 has died so had to go online last nite to get some more (local shops are so sh#t they don’t stock it.....I mean I live in Sydney!!!!). Anyway have bought the paint ........along with a Plant Models 1/48 Westland Welkin NF Mk.2.....well it was ½ price!

So decided to work on the weapons. Have almost finished painting everything as will as building the TV Guided Hs.295. Am so happy at how they came out am almost ready to start a production line! Have one other “whatif” weapon in the pipeline.....not sure if it will make it onto this one....for now.

DSCF1797_zps1cc30396.jpg

Hs-293 C-1, LT 950 T Glider Torpedo, GT 1200A

Hs-293 A, Hs-293 C-1, Hs-293, Hs.295

Ruhrstahl X-4

weaps_zpsa6cfab0d.jpg

Hs.293 D Hs.293 C-1 Hs.295

Just a little bit to go and she’s done, have to go away next week for work (back to WA), so will finish the story for it while I’m away.

It will be interesting.......... :hmmm:

• Like 5

thanks for all the nice comments, this is one build I'm absolutely loving, even though it seems to be taking forever to finish.

Am just about there, just a few little bits to do.......plus a few warrens of Dust Bunnies I have to evict as well, they seem to love the cockpit!!!!

Just a bit to go with the weapons, have just started the detailing process of the painting.

Have to going away next week for work......so decided to post a couple of preview shots...........

DSCF1802_zps28b4bc9a.jpg

DSCF1798_zps8c85ced8.jpg

DSCF1800_zps37d28fc8.jpg

DSCF1799_zps2f631a26.jpg

DSCF1801_zpsde289028.jpg

• Like 6

She's done!!! :yahoo:

After nearly 10 months I'm calling it done before I start to make more changes. I'll probably make a couple of changes or improvements later but for now this is it.

It's been a big and really enjoyable build, the conversion wasn't that great or involved, but a lot of the work and thought was around making it as "real" and possible as I could. To which the results I am very happy with, quite a believable beasty if I may say so.

I'm going to start a separate thread for the pictures and a story to go with it, plus it will appear in the RFI section with different photos, but here are some photo's to go on with.

Link to photos: Heinkel He-177Z A6/R5

DSCF1836_zpscb3647f5.jpg

DSCF1838_zpsfb9ea563.jpg

DSCF1844_zpsd08260d6.jpg

DSCF1828_zps07ce82ce.jpg

Thank you one and all for all your comments, support and suggestions during the build, it was very much appreciated. I do hope you enjoyed it and have given you some ideas. :thumbsup:

Long live the Whiff's!

• Like 9

Turned out stunning Rich. Captures the spirit of late-war German ideas beautifully and has an air of authenticity that will fool many.

• Like 1

Turned out stunning Rich. Captures the spirit of late-war German ideas beautifully and has an air of authenticity that will fool many.

it's strange you should say that! :whistle:

I posted it in the RFI section........ :wicked:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Beautiful job Rich. This inspired me to consider something similar but, my preference would be for the strategic bomber the Luftwaffe never had!! Just a personal thought, I'd prefer to have a tailplane linking the two fuselages.. No idea if it would be any better in "reality" - just aesthetics I guess. Did you make little masks for the white splinter camouflage pattern? That would drive me demented!!!.

One is forced to consider that if it had not been for the rotten engines and continuous meddling in the design by the RLM, and other officials the 177 might actually have matured into a very formidable aircraft. Fast, well armed and carrying a large bomb load it had the potential to do a lot of damage.

Allan

• 1 month later...