Italeri Wessex 1/48

goggsy

I built this beastie early last year as a red and blue 771 machine, it was fiddly in places you've aready mentioned & I invested in new decals, the kit supplied ones don't look right, mine was pretty much out of the box and it builds into a good looking machine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks, bit of an update;

I've masked, primed, and preshaded her, I'm experimenting with graduating the shadings from top to bottom. I'm hoping this will give an accurate faded effect when the colours proper are applied. I've also primed the blades and have mucked about with the exhausts a bit.

DSCN01341.jpg

RSCN0131.jpg

RSCN0127.jpg

RSCN0129.jpg

RSCN0128.jpg

I'll give it a bit of a rub down and let it cure overnight. All being well I'll lay down the blue tomorrow.

The preshading on one side is much neater than the other and I couldn't work out why until I realised that when I started spraying the shed was freezing cold. By the time I got to the other side it had warmed up a lot; one to remember for the future I think.

• Like 3

The blue is now on, looks a bit lighter in the photos than in real life. I'll give it overnight to cure and then mask up for the red. The preshading is a bit more understated than I was going for but I'll do a bit of post shading to make up for it.

DSCN0181.jpg

DSCN0176.jpg

DSCN0178.jpg

• Like 2

It's a nice build. But, I just noticed something else wrong with the kit.

I started my career in the RAF in 1976 doing overhauls on these beasties.

On either side of the transmission platform you have maintenance platforms.

With the pilots window forward you can fold these down to work up there.

The one on the right has a hinged hatch to allow for the winch.

On the model there is a horizontal line on the top edge and then an oblique line towards the rear.

The line should start level with the top of the window & should curve down to the next panel to the rear.

This panel too, as modelled, looks too wide. To my eye at least.

The Main rotor gearbox rear support leg mount just pokes out of the beetleback, But not on the kit.

Sorry, Goggsy, Don't want to spoil your build, But I felt it had to be said.

Have a look at pictures, You'll see what I mean.

Pete

Hi Pete, You're quite correct, the hoist/winch drop in door is in fact 3mm too far forward and if placed correctly the top left corner will intersect with the obique panel line you mentioned. It's just one of the many bloopes Italeri managed to build into there Wessex kits. Such a pity, when they had a golden opportunity to do it correctly. At least they got the transition between the aft of the cabin and tail cone correct the 72nd kit was 4mm short!!!!!! It shows once you correct it.

I started a Wessex build mid last year but had to put it on hold, if those who are interested do a Wessex search they can look at my build as far as I got. Never fear I will return to it. Although maybe too late for some.

Colin

Thanks for the tips and feedback. Bearing in mind the stage the build is at I won't be changing anything structural at this stage but will bear those issues in mind if I build another. Regarding the colour, as I mentioned previously it looks lighter in the photos; in real lid it is much closer to the real thing.

The paints I'm using are a mixture of tamiya blues and dark greys to approximate the colour I'm going for. Bearing in mind the above comments about the shade I think I'm going to apply a much darker filter to the above finish to bring it closer to the suggested colour. I don't intend to go as dark as the photo posted above as there would be no point in preshading that and in any case I'm going for a weathered faded finish. I've since applied the red but will add a pinky/orange filter to that to bring out the weathered aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

I've more or less finished this now, I just ended up using the kit decals in order to get it finished. I've had some health problems recently that have made modelling low on my list of priorities so I found this a bit of a drag in the end. That's not the fault of the kit, just a state of mind that I'm sure a few others will be familiar with. I've still to put on a few decals and give the odd bit a drybrush with some silver.

DSCN02421.jpg

DSCN02461.jpg

DSCN02441.jpg

And a couple of moody close ups

RSCN02801.jpg

RSCN02791.jpg

Cheers

Liam

• Like 2

She turned out well...you've done an amazing amount of work since I saw her last. Well done!

Nobby57

• Like 1