Italeri Wessex 1/48

goggsy

Hi all

My christmas project for this year, Italeri's new(ish) 1/48 Wessex. From what I've seen so far it's a nicely detailed kit with the bonus of photo etch for some bits. I've made a start with the cockpit and my only criticism so far has been the design of the seats, which don't seem quite right to me.

Anyway, this is what I started out with yesterday:

1-1.jpg

The keen eyed amongst you will spot the Wonderland sticker. You get 4 grey sprues and one clear one, plus a small piece of etch and some plastic grille the purpose of which will no doubt become apparent as the build goes on.

Some cutting and fettling later and I came to this:

2-2.jpg

I decided to try "blacken it" to finish the etch as it was all going to be a grey/black colour and I have to say it was quite straightforward to use. Much easier that painting the etch and then scraping half of it off as you fit it.

I'm mostly doing this build OOB but have added a few fripperies to the cockpit, being a bit of wiring and a small fire extinguisher. I've also added a fabric texture to the seats (don't know if this is accurate but I liked it) using white glue and tissue. I feel these add a little something. The whole thing has had a bit of dry brushing and a couple of dark and light washes just to bring some detail out.

5-2.jpg

3-2.jpg

Next update soon

Cheers

Liam

• Like 2

I'll be enjoying this

The seats are not far off to be honest, just a little heavily moulded.

hope this picture helps

SeatWessexpilots.jpg

I have it on good authority that this one is the right hand, driver's seat and the odd appendage on the edge is on the other side on the left hander's chair.

I do love a good Wessex

bill

• Like 1

As Pedru says, the seats are a little clunky and too narrow, the seat frames are also too thick. I remade mine and went too wide. The Gallery H-34 kit has got them just about right. Italeri unfortunately cut a few corners with the Wessex but nothing that can't be put right with a bit of modelling.

Thanks for sharing your build.

Colin

• Like 1

You know that the only people who will even think they're wrong is us chickens.

In the model and closed around by the windows and sliders they will look just as if they are supposed to be there.

You might be amazed at how many power and hydraulic sockets are stuck to the sides of Walter too, but when you add them no-one even notices.

So build it to suit yourself, as an Italerii one it aint too dusty and will be nice when done.

bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill, you're right of course. I did have half a notion of doing all the piping in the cargo bay but it would probably be a bit of a waste of effort in many ways. I'm aiming for a relatively quick result on this baby as I'm going for the training types group build next so I won't be overdoing the fettling unless something is really off. Does anyone know of any major inaccuracies? I haven't come across any info on this although I have had a look.

I did two Wessexes recently, fitted the interiors out rather well I thought too.

I did a Frog one made into a HAR2 with the stretcher hanging from the roof too, lots of piping, collectives joined across the floor of the cockpit and waterproofing membraned interior. And a modified Matchbox one as the HC2 now living in the RAF Museum at Cosford, similar internals.

Lovely to my eyes but, you just don't see any of it when it sits on its base

So press on and enjoy what is undoubtedly a fine kit to build.

Your cockpit looks good enough to fly, stick a Walter around it. I love it.

Bill

• Like 1

Somewhere I think I have a photo of the farewell flight of the Lee on Solent SAR Wessi which, I seem to remember, were the last ones in SAR service with the Royal Navy. I know one was flown by the late Noman Lees, sadly later killed in a needless Spitfire accident and who was a very decent bloke.

I'd be interested to see that if you can lay your hands on it. I'm doing mine in SAR colours as I like them, maybe you could answer a question on that? I get the impression from looking at photos that the scheme is blue and red, but I've been up close and personal with Sea Kings in RN SAR scheme and it seems to be more of a dark grey/ red. Any thoughts?

By the time of the last flight they were in dark green. A web site about Lee says 'The Fleet Air Arm Search and Rescue role was taken up by Wessex HU.5 of 772 squadron in February 1983 stationed at Lee on Solent until March 1988, when its role was finally handed over to a civilian SAR Flight after almost 50 years of continuous air sea rescue duties from Lee-on-Solent'. As for the 781 sq ones that were blue and red, the blue was very grey. I think it was one version of extra dark sea grey, I do remember they looked bluer than the colour used on the rather wonderful Seafire XVII.

Edited by melvyn hiscock
  • Like 1

That version of EDSG faded very badly, which is why so many of the SAR Wessex photos look like it's a different colour altogether. Bear in mind that those cabs sat outside in all weathers pretty much 24/7, so the paint work got a bit of a kicking.

The DaGlo Red went very pink after a while, too.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, a bit of an update. I've been trying to take photos as I've gone along and what I've posted below represents the work of three evenings or so. As I've said in other threads I'm a fan of Italeri but I have to say that I've found the fit of some parts of this kit quite challenging. This has been particularly around the nose but I have found quite a lot more flash than I've expected around many parts given the age of the moulds.

The interior of the cargo hold goes together quite nicely but like a prat I omitted to take any shots before closing the whole thing up. I've done it pretty much OOB with a bit of weathering and some pipework in places where it will show, not much effort but it busies the whole thing up a little.

6-2.jpg

Strapping the main body together is relatively straightforward and it clips neatly into place leaving the cockpit proud:

8-2.jpg

9-2.jpg

This was where trouble started to creep into paradise. No matter how I tried, the nose section refused to go together neatly; it was a three dimensional nightmare where fitting in one place meant that the whole thing was off to cock somewhere else. I wrested it into submission finally by applying copious amount of filler and sanding away much of the lovely detail, replacing it with my own scribings and rivetting. It looks OK but it was annoying to have to do this on a kit this age.

10-1.jpg

11-1.jpg

At this point I started to install the etch parts and for the most part they fitted fairly well. IMHO it is worth cutting a few mm from the back of the large rotor grille on top to make it fit the hole properly, and as always a bit of filler is required to fair some of the grilles in.

14.jpg

13-2.jpg

15.jpg

At this point it was time to install the main cockpit glazing and I tarted up the overhead console a bit to add interest. The dangly bits are supposed to be radio wires I think, I had some cable left over and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

12-1.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

Like an epic tool I realised that I hadn't fitted the instrument panel before glazing the cockpit and had to pull the transparent parts off when the glue was almost cured which didn't do the whole thing much good. I then scratched the paintwork on the cowl while trying to fit it so ended up having to repaint this in situ which frankly looks a bit rough. Still, a bit of dry brushing and it doesn't look too bad in the end. The transparency looks OK in place but (wait for it) needs a fair bit of filler to seal some amazing gaps.

• Like 3

At about the same stage with mine (must update my In Progress post). I used the black "netting" for the cover to the rotor housing, suitably trimmed, & it worked quite well. Mine will be the 771 squadron version, what will yours be?

• Like 1

At about the same stage with mine (must update my In Progress post). I used the black "netting" for the cover to the rotor housing, suitably trimmed, & it worked quite well. Mine will be the 771 squadron version, what will yours be?

Same.

I thought about using the netting but unfortunately thought about it after I'd gone to the trouble of fettling the etch part.

• 2 weeks later...

Great work, I am looking forward to your next update

John

So, a bit of an update. I've been trying to take photos as I've gone along and what I've posted below represents the work of three evenings or so. As I've said in other threads I'm a fan of Italeri but I have to say that I've found the fit of some parts of this kit quite challenging. This has been particularly around the nose but I have found quite a lot more flash than I've expected around many parts given the age of the moulds.

The interior of the cargo hold goes together quite nicely but like a prat I omitted to take any shots before closing the whole thing up. I've done it pretty much OOB with a bit of weathering and some pipework in places where it will show, not much effort but it busies the whole thing up a little.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/6-2

Strapping the main body together is relatively straightforward and it clips neatly into place leaving the cockpit proud:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/8-2.j

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/9-2.jpg

This was where trouble started to creep into paradise. No matter how I tried, the nose section refused to go together neatly; it was a three dimensional nightmare where fitting in one place meant that the whole thing was off to cock somewhere else. I wrested it into submission finally by applying copious amount of filler and sanding away much of the lovely detail, replacing it with my own scribings and rivetting. It looks OK but it was annoying to have to do this on a kit this age.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/10-1.jp

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/11-1.jpg

At this point I started to install the etch parts and for the most part they fitted fairly well. IMHO it is worth cutting a few mm from the back of the large rotor grille on top to make it fit the hole properly, and as always a bit of filler is required to fair some of the grilles in.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/14.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/13-2.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/15.jpg

At this point it was time to install the main cockpit glazing and I tarted up the overhead console a bit to add interest. The dangly bits are supposed to be radio wires I think, I had some cable left over and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/12-1.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/17.jpg

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q584/Starfighter4/16.jpg

Like an epic tool I realised that I hadn't fitted the instrument panel before glazing the cockpit and had to pull the transparent parts off when the glue was almost cured which didn't do the whole thing much good. I then scratched the paintwork on the cowl while trying to fit it so ended up having to repaint this in situ which frankly looks a bit rough. Still, a bit of dry brushing and it doesn't look too bad in the end. The transparency looks OK in place but (wait for it) needs a fair bit of filler to seal some amazing gaps.

I too am a tool. I hadn't fitted the glazing but fitting the instrument panel with the nose mounted was a nightmare!
  • Like 1

Watching this build with interest. Well done so far.

goggsy and Graham, as you both build the 771 NAS SAR, I strongly recommend that you get hold of replacement decals, e.g. the LDecals sheet. The kit markings has simply too many errors in size which result in an awkward appearance on the finished model.

• Like 2

Watching this build with interest. Well done so far.

goggsy and Graham, as you both build the 771 NAS SAR, I strongly recommend that you get hold of replacement decals, e.g. the LDecals sheet. The kit markings has simply too many errors in size which result in an awkward appearance on the finished model.

Sounds like good advise - off to Hannants it is then!

Edited by Graham T