hatchette Lancaster build

Looking good! Will you be covering it with fabric which you then paint?

no, the body needs painting in a light green colour, then it has an aluminium coat that covers the entire plane, that will be primed then sprayed in the Lancaster's colours :)

• 4 weeks later...

--## UPDATE FOUR ##--

haven't posted an update for a while!, i really do forget to take photos etc D:

anyway..

(ive been concentrating on the whole body framework before detailing)

im this far into it:

1617208_445458425582297_1094072700_o_zps

thats all placed together to get an idea of size, LOOK AT THAT 2P!!!

:D

Edited by lordhinton
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

--## UPDATE FIVE ##--

sorry I've not been around guys! college is to blame..

anyway I've been busy:

decided not to do the small details inside, partly because there's so much, but mainly, the whole lot will be hidden, to some they would do it just to say its there, but im not to fussed myself

this thing is starting to get big, considering setting up a workbench for it else where as it hardly fits on my desk now...

but im enjoying it, and never built something this big so hey ho :D

IMG_58981_zps2255b6d7.jpg

also, went to the imperial war museum recently, if you haven't already been,, then go! its amazing!

IMG_55071_zpsdea399b0.jpg

• Like 1

Hi good luck on this kit - it looks great so far - a bit line building the real thing piece by piece only on a smaller scale. I have been tempted to bid on this set on eBay a few times but was put off by the size so good luck to you - perhaps you need to star building an extension on your house at the same time to make space for this big lady later on...

Wow, what a kit! Looks stunning, and great fun to build i bet?

Keep it up, i'm enjoying following along.

Nick

:)

enjoying it so far! thanks :)

Looking really good.

Hi good luck on this kit - it looks great so far - a bit line building the real thing piece by piece only on a smaller scale. I have been tempted to bid on this set on eBay a few times but was put off by the size so good luck to you - perhaps you need to star building an extension on your house at the same time to make space for this big lady later on...

the kit is actually supposed to be 100% accurate to how the Lancaster is, but instead of metal, it uses balsa wood :D the size isn't a big thing, well it is but.. :D Im putting off the wings at the moment solely due to the massive size it will be with them attached! going great though!

Great job with this, looks like something you could really sink your teeth into.

I must admit though, that photo of Duxford had me going "ooooo, TSR2!" :P

mine are sunk far enough into it ;) and as for the TSR2, that's an amazing bit of kit! :D

ill upload another pic later on with some of the metal work done completed on the wings :D

thanks for reading

-lord

This is looking fantastic. Would love to get one but SWMBO might throw me out if I even considered this over a holiday, lol.

haha! dont have those problems being a student ;) i must say though, that would be a long holiday :D this is month 6 on the project!

ive already made this, its what brought me back into modeling so my model making skills at the time really let me down but it was good experience.

The only part i had real problems with were the skin panels,a stencil was provided for you to cut panels out of a sheet of metal and boy do they have to be acurate,oh and the turrets are awful really letting down such a detailed model.

ive already made this, its what brought me back into modeling so my model making skills at the time really let me down but it was good experience.

The only part i had real problems with were the skin panels,a stencil was provided for you to cut panels out of a sheet of metal and boy do they have to be acurate,oh and the turrets are awful really letting down such a detailed model.

i agree on the panels with the stencil, although ive noticed there is alot of excess metal around each panel so my initial cuts are slightly bigger then i clamp it down and cut carefully the panel to be accurate, some parts confuse me though such as the paneling on the wings.. they could have been one piece but instead they used two separate pieces on the stencil sheet..

to me this just means another ever so small gap to fill in with the filler! enjoying the paneling though, its great fun, something i haven't done before :D

i agree the paneling on the wings should have been one piece,it would have made life a lot easier,also the panel from the back of the bomb bay doors to the tail wheel...the fusilage thins slightly causing the panel to develop a lovely crease,i had to remove mine and cut a little v in the panel to accomodate the shape change

now that one i did notice! standing underneath the one at Duxford, there was many different features under there that are not in this, im not to fussed either way, it was gifted to me so even with 200 faults i would be happy :D

• 1 month later...

--## UPDATE SIX ##--

Hey guys! been busy! all in around 15-ish hours total (minus gluing time) i have been adding body panels to the main body of the plane. once the panels have dried and are together, i have been filing the gaps between them to give everything a smooth surface. the majority of the body is now covered and ready for a coat of primer. i wont spray any of the model until the entire model is complete so i don't have colour matching issues.

i am missing one sheet of aluminium and stencils from one of the issues, so i cannot cover the last part of the wing connected to the body. im trying my hardest to find one but this is proving to be a pain, so instead i am looking for any of the three issues with the sheet aluminium included, and keeping all of the cut stencils safe.

IMG_61791_zps0ca242c1.jpg

where the first pieces of aluminium went onto the wing, the instructions said to drop it in place as far down as it would go, so the joining piece above will fit correctly... i did this and this has happened :/ not to worry as i am slowing filling it small part at a time to ensure a smooth finish.

please note that the black paint is only there as its all i had on hand. (i was checking the model filler to see how it looks painted)

also the exhaust pipes on the engines don't stick out of the engine body's as they should, so i might have to go back and open them up, remove the exhausts from the engines and connect them to scrap plasticard or something similar to make them promptitude from the engines properly. This is the main thing that's bothering me about this model.

IMG_61801_zps7f09ec1f.jpg

other than that, i am overall happy with the model and hope to finally get it complete within at least 4 months!! my original estimate was December 2013-May 2014... that was miles out O.O

IMG_61811_zps2c24f759.jpg

the remaining details that are to be added to the cockpit are all complete and awaiting installation.

IMG_61831_zps13d114c7.jpg

not 100% sure why, but i love the way the rear looks now its nearing completion! :D

IMG_61821_zps64c79848.jpg

for some reason the left wing doesn't go in all the way, im still not sure why, i have tried shaving off some of the wood that slots into the body, with no luck, next im going to attempt to sand it slightly so its thinner, im thinking it may get thicker closer to the wing.

so that's the update so far! sorry for not posting updates, i just forget to take photos in between stages. all questions and criticism are accepted as always! :D

thanks for reading!

-Lord

• Like 6