hatchette Lancaster build

Hey all! new to the forum here!

the reason i have joined is i wanted to share with you all my Lancaster build i am currently doing.

the complete kit was given to me by one of my mums friends as a birthday present on the 21st.

i have dabbled in a couple of air fix kits in the past (including a Lancaster), a Chinook and a Boeing 747.

i will have to say though, they were built to a poor standard back when i was 13.

2 years ago i built a model railway that was fully built and detailed so i have learnt many skills in painting/model building from this.

i sold that on a year ago and haven't done anything until this.

i look forward to building the kit from start to finish and hope to learn a few new techniques along the way :)

currently as i have been waiting for access to the forum from the admins i am on part 4 but i have been taking photos so i will upload them in a separate post then following on from that i will post updates of one or two parts out of the 125 part build :)

UpwalthamLancasterBomber.jpg

thank you for reading :D

-lordhinton

Edited by lordhinton
  • Like 1

--## UPDATE ONE ##--

(i will learn how to use the macro on my camera to take photos) also sorry if my grammar is out! :)

part 1.

After i had sorted out all the parts to the kit and made sure that everything was there i got straight into the action after finding the remnants of my old modelling tools.

the first parts of the nose went together very easily and i went onto adding all of the stringers to it with no problem (i've discovered there's a lot of these!!)

IMG_4951_zpsa55b4d72.jpg

Part 2.

building the left hand outer wing this was an interesting part as the instructions said that pva was to be used to hold the parts together. i used a set square and pva on the first part then figured if i was to do that it would take me over 2 weeks to construct one part of the kit. so i went looking around and remembered that UHU glue used to work well with (pretty much everything on my old model railway) so i went onto use that and had the wing put together in 10 minutes using the setsquare. then i left it to dry and its solid as a rock :D then went on to covering it in the stringers and added the first engine mount.

IMG_4952_zps6778a372.jpg

IMG_4956_zps7a790a67.jpg

IMG_4957_zpsa230ffcf.jpg

Part 3.

building the cabin.

This part went together pretty fast for what it is. i made sure that everything was accurately placed at 90* before letting it set.

IMG_4958_zps4c3e5121.jpg

Part 4

building the pilots seat and more stringers!

Here i had to fabricate the pilots chair with the supplied materials. went onto follow the instructions to make a good looking chair. (im proud of this!)

the cushions are made from shaped pieces of the supplied balsa.

IMG_4959_zpsa41cc8d3.jpg

IMG_4960_zpsc2ff14f5.jpg

IMG_4961_zps14fbcaf0.jpg

More stringers!

IMG_4962_zps9250b63f.jpg

those stringers look very out of shape in the photo but they honestly don't feel and look to bad here on my desk!

thanks for reading through, i will post the next update as soon as the next part is complete!

- Lordhinton

Edited by lordhinton
  • Like 2

Looks great! I have built a couple of rc balsa models before joining the plastic hobby so this build is really interesting to me, also because I really like the Lancaster (I am currently building one).

I haven't tried the UHU glue, does it cure fast? Otherwise I would go with thin CA glue as much as possible on a build like this, it sure speed things up if the fit of the model is good enough to allow it.

Cheers, Erik

• Like 1

Lovely work, I am seriously envious of this!

Would it be possible for you to put a ruler or something in the photo (not every single time!) just to give an idea of how big this thing is going to be? Even a pot of Humbrol paint (other brands are available) sitting next to the pilot's seat would bring it home.

• Like 1

Hello, thanks for the input :) I'll put something in the photos for size :)

The uhu glue touch dries in around 5 minutes and settles down well. Its a little messy but it's very easy to remove excess glue. I use loctite on the smaller parts :D

Thanks

-Lordhinton

Looks nice so far.

I heard that Domino toys on Leicester High street

have now shutdown. That was the only one I know of there.

Up the A46 in Newark there is a good shop whose name

escapes me(Might be Access models?).

In Lincoln (A shortish trainride away) we have B & H models.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

Looks nice so far.

I heard that Domino toys on Leicester High street

have now shutdown. That was the only one I know of there.

Up the A46 in Newark there is a good shop whose name

escapes me(Might be Access models?).

In Lincoln (A shortish trainride away) we have B & H models.

Cheers

Pete

thanks, yes my old shop dominoes has now shut down along with the pricier model zone so im stuck for choice, ill check them both out soon when i need my first bit of paint! (next issue) :D

--## UPDATE TWO ##--

parts 5 and 7 (part 6 later as i dont have the paint for that!)

part 5

adding details to the cabin

i had to add what looked like it could be some sort of table? along with a raised floor and 2 poles for holding onto i assume

also had to glue more side supports to it along with a wooden stringer holding them all into place

IMG_4965_zps32994a4d.jpg

also twos a pair, i had to build 2 seats for something (possibly cockpit?) these went together fairly easy apart from the crease line in the metal was in the wrong place causing them to not fit so i had to bend them back flat then bend about 1mm along for them to fit.

IMG_4967_zpsc2518ef8.jpg

part 7

building the wing tip

this was dead easy. the main two parts of the wing had to be bent then glued to shape of the wing until dry. all of the supports were glued into place before putting the top part on and holding in place with tape whilst the glue dries.

IMG_4968_zps2d86c7c8.jpg

i will post a photo after i have filed the tip to shape when its dry.

later on to day or tomorrow i am going to attack the wallet with a model shop for all of the paint supply's :D

thanks for reading

-lordhinton

Edited by lordhinton
  • Like 3

You might want to invest in a set of modelling clamps - it would work out cheaper than tape. I use two different sizes:

PIC_0513.jpg

The larger ones were four for a quid in my local pound shop. The smaller ones are more powerful - I think they were eight for £2.50 at a model railway exhibition.

• Like 1

You might want to invest in a set of modelling clamps - it would work out cheaper than tape. I use two different sizes:

The larger ones were four for a quid in my local pound shop. The smaller ones are more powerful - I think they were eight for £2.50 at a model railway exhibition.

i plan to get hold of some clamps soon, i used to use wooden clothes pegs that had strong springs on them, used to do the job just fine. but for now as i didn't have anything other than tape to clamp it together, tape it is :D

i found a model shop in anstey!

i got every bit of paint that i have found to be needed apart from the black that i originally went for!

i know one thing though, these humbrol paints have gone up in price!

£12.25 worth's there! i remember when the paints were £1.35 each, i ended up paying £1.75 each for them, but i needed them so dont mind. also picked up some brushes and model filler.

IMG_49691_zpsf2d85182.jpg

(yet again my flash making everything a different colour)

Edited by lordhinton

--## UPDATE TWO ##--

Part 6

the old rolls!

this was enjoyable to go together, very easy and simple to do! also i like engines so that helps :D i love this, so much detail on it! would be nice if there was some Rolls Royce etches to put on there to complete it :D

IMG_49771_zps6cc2930d.jpg

Also i have primed and brush painted the propeller. so far i have done the yellow with 3 or 4 thin coats to get the look i wanted :)

IMG_49701_zpsf9f8c579.jpg

Part 8

Completing the early stages of the cockpit

i have added all of the stringers to this and its now ready to be sanded smooth and sprayed black before going on to add the cockpit details

IMG_49711_zps3fa34ae2.jpg

thanks for reading :)

-lordhinton

• Like 2

Good thing you're a lord - it seems like you'd need a stately home to display this monster! :lol:

i haven't got one of those on the way any time soon :D my plan is 20lbs?(maybe stronger) fishing line, holes in the roof, and some joists in the loft! i will display it somehow! :P

Parts 126-1,78456 have the step by step Stately home :unsure:

Ver nice work so far :D

Can you get this as a complete kit??

haha! i don't have that part :P

im not sure if you can, take a look on hatchette's website, or maybe email them about it see if they will, the only reason im building this is because it was given! i wouldn't be paying the £625 for the complete issue collection! :D

--## UPDATE THREE ##--

part 9 & 10

part 9 was dead easy and took me no more than 10 minutes to put together properly!

part 10 was the main body part that the wings fix to (i assume?). this fixed to part 9 and has extra parts to hold the fuel tank in part 11 in place. the same again will be added to the other side in a later issue to form 2 fuel tanks.

IMG_49781_zps8a941c14.jpg

IMG_49792_zps5c0b4c60.jpg

part 11

ive discovered that all planes should run on something that isn't diesel :D i dont like fuel tanks no more.. made a pigs ear of this, hopefully the second is better. i might buy issue 11 again so i can give this one another go. but then again its hidden so im not sure.

( i will edit this with a picture of the fuel tank tomorrow, internet's proving to be a pain)

thanks for reading

-lordhinton