Firefly/Serenity Kits

Madmonk

My daughter has started watching Firefly and I was just wondering if there are any kits out there, a quick look on the interweb hasn't brought up a great deal.

Cheers,

Warren

There are paper kits available.

Free download & print yourself.

I have a couple on a stick at the moment.

I will be using them as the basis of

a scratchbuild in plastic card.

It'll be a challenge & take a while,

But I think it will be worth it.

Someone will then, of course, produce a large injected model for you.

Pete

• Like 1

For two years running, Serenity has been the most requested kit in the FineScale Modeler magazine poll. There have been/are two resin kits but I think the Stargazer kit (quite nice) is the only one still available. The problem is the license holder, QMX, doesn't do model kits and doesn't want to sell the rights to someone else who could.

QMX/Sideshow do/did have a replica they offered for the meager price of £1636 but it was a limited issue of 100. If you're interested, there's on eBay right now for only £2061!

You best bet is the unofficial Lego kit or a paper model.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got this resin kit in the stash but as far as I can see the main problem is its just too small to do the original proper justice. I've seen a couple built at various shows but to me it look like the colour scheme recommended in the kit is too dark to look like the "real" thing...

Thanks guys,

The Lego kit is currently out of production and is the thick end of $400, having just spend a good hour in the Lego shop in Meadowhall, Sheffield I guess its not an overly expensive kit when you consider that the large X-Wing kit that Lego do is £170.

The paper kit will probably be the way forward but as my daughter has now returned to Uni it will probably be an Easter project.

Cheers,

Warren

For what it's worth, QMx are doing a 1:400 scale model (not a kit) for $99.95 - https://store.qmxonline.com/Serenity-Little-Damn-Heroes-Maquette-6_p_152.html - it looks quite nice, but only if you want a ready-made model.

In the course of my research for a scratchbuild, I've found very little in the way of definitive blueprints/plans. Fox seem to be quite aggressive with cease and desist letters, so kits tend to vanish rather quickly. I did find this set of photos of the 12-foot filming miniature (again on QMx) - http://www.qmxonline.com/news/gallery-12-foot-serenity-filming-miniature/ - useful for general arrangement if you ignore the "Reaver camouflage" additions.