Revell 1/144 Airbus A350-900

I mated the wings to the fuse. The wings have a deep root and fit tightly into the fuse. After looking at the join closely one might not have to use filler to make the clean join.

20131222_1136071_zps12f04b4b.jpg

A front view of this mythical beast!

20131222_1136411_zpsdd457099.jpg

Shes slightly bigger than the 777-200

20131222_1144361_zpsf6885435.jpg

Starting to assemble her nose landing gear.

20131222_1141551_zpsa34c7337.jpg

• Like 2

It seems like a good kit so far, I've only used a couple of small bits of filler. I'm making quite good progress (for me). The fuselage is all buttoned up and the wings are on. I've made a start on the engines. My next task is to mask off the windows (all 124 of them - there are times when I question my aversion to decal windows, not that this kit has any!), once that's done I'll be able to get some primer on and clean up any remaining seams.

I look forward to following your progress. Take care with the engine fans, they're a bit fiddly and not fantastically well moulded, plus the two halves didn't really want to go together with blades evenly spaced. I've also found that the nose gear door moulded in one piece doesn't fit we'll, I think I'll be using the separately moulded doors with the hinges cut off. I only used about half the suggested nose weight, which seems fine (about 12g of lead pellets between the cockpit and nose gear bay...).

Cheers,

Andrew

As soon as the glue dries on my nose weight(3 tokens for an arcade game) I'll be mating the body halves together then mounting the wings. after i glue the fuse together while waiting for the glue to dry i'll more than likely start on the engines.

As far as the engine fans go, I love the look of having each fan blade moulded but it's a HUGE pain to take off the sprue. Revell's 787 wasn't as bad because it was only attached to the sprue by 4 contact points. It's going to be a challenge to get them off but I'm sure I'll tackle it okay. How did you get them off?

-Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Make sure you use a fresh blade, place the sprue on a flat surface with the sprue gates at the bottom and then carefully cut along the face of the blade. Thankfully the sprue gates are pretty thin so with a fresh blade you shouldn't have too much trouble getting through them. I cleaned up with a coarse flexi-file. Some of the fan blades on my kit are a bit short-shot along the leading edge, but it's not too noticeable. I did find that many of the blades have a bit of a step on the front face near the tip, but I thought I would probably end up doing more damage than good trying to fix that.

Good luck,

Andrew

Hi Tyler,

Another tip for the engines. When you fit the turbine disc (F32) make sure it's correctly centred - I think the part is slightly undersized, so if you just stick it to one side first, like I did, then it ends up being off to one side and makes the exhaust cone sit incorrectly as well.

Andrew

Thanks for the tips Andrew. I stopped working on it yesterday after I glued the fuse halves together. I'll check if the exhaust cone sits correctly in the turbine disc. If not i can try to shave off some plastic on the exhaust cone until it fits or just center the cone to where the exhaust cone is touching the turbine disc all the way around and use some super glue that dries quick.

Ill be working on it all day tomorrow so I'll try to post some pics of the progress and the full engine assembly.

On that note I just recieved an email from evilbay telling me I get my money back on the A350 kit I ordered last month and I still get the kit. So now I'll have 2 kits. Today's a good day :)

-Tyler

• 2 weeks later...

After a rather busy holidays I've managed to free up some time to show some progress. I've been able to make a giant leap in progress although I couldn't update BM.

Now on with the pics:

20131223_214002_zpscc3f565a.jpg

I tried to capture as much detail as I could. It was really fun painting the whole inside of the cockpit. Especially all of the little knobs and joysticks.

20131224_125506_zpsf88a2210.jpg

20131224_131836_zps4c52e62c.jpg

Part of the engine assembly.

20131228_170258_zpsc1b51428.jpg

She's all puttied up and awaiting to be sanded and smoothed out.

20131229_132603_zps90964470.jpg

20131229_132653_zps1f1e1ec8.jpg

20131229_132728_zps514a9826.jpg

20131229_132749_zpse6e1ab9d.jpg

She's all sanded down, nice and smooth. I also added the antennas, pitot tubes, ans other tiny pieces to the engines( I don't know exactly what they're called).

20140101_173425_zpse549a2d7.jpg

20140101_173511_zps6c8d05ed.jpg

Finally she rolls out of the paint shop with a fresh coat of white paint. Next is to assemble and install the main landing gear; and install the windscreen and tail light.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bad news on this one guys/girls. While moving my model desk to another room she fell. The fuse and wings survived the fall but her landing gear didn't. After an hour of deliberations on what I was going to do with her; she's at a stand still until I can get her some more landing gear.

Tyler! Don't give up! I'm sure with your considerable skills, you'll be able to finish this in one guise or another! Was looking forward to the finished article - it was looking fantastic to date!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

The struts survived but the wheels didn't. I don't know what to use to soften the glue to where I can pull the struts out.

-Tyler

Edited by T.Moore1521
  • Like 1

Are the wheels themselves damaged, or is it just the axles that are broken? Perhaps you could try cutting the axles off and re-drilling the holes to use some brass rod as replacement axles?

Andrew

The axles are broken. Not all of them though. It's complicated because if I drilled out the axles I'd have to re-drill every axle. Two wheels on the same side of the left main landing gear broke off and two wheels on the front of the right main landing gear broke off. Along with the front landing gear snapping in half.

• 4 months later...

I broke the axles on my A330 a while ago, so I drilled out the holes where they would go and replaced it with small gauge brass rod cut to size - worked a treat and is much stronger than before

The other alternative is to make it in-flight ;)

I reackon that'd be the way to go

MH

• 1 year later...