HMS Triumph (Trafalgar Class SSN) Speedbuild

Season's greetings! :santa:

This is my first foray into the maritime section of Britmodeller.

I bought this kit cheap from Hobbycraft a while ago, and boy was I pleased that I did. I have never made a maritime model before and set myself a target of a 12-hour build, based on the limited number of parts and straightforward colour scheme. I started at 10am yesterday and beat my target by an hour or so.

The construction was quick, but I did struggle a little with the join between the top half of the hull and the lower half (which was made up from two parts.) However some filler and judicious sanding did the trick.

I primed the model with Alclad grey and then polished the primer with MicroMesh. Airfix recommended pure black, but I decided to only use pure black on the lower hull, adding a little white for the upper half. I then added more white to the mix and squirted random patches over the top side to create some highlights and break up the uniform finish. Neither Airfix nor I have made any effort to replicate the anechoic tile covering! Internet pictures show the tiles clearly, creating a patchy appearance, but I had neither the time or inclination to recreate that look! I have not weathered the model at all.

I found the decals a little tricky to locate, as there were few references on the Airfix diagram or the model to assist, so I apologise if they are incorrectly placed.

I finished the model with a couple of brushed coats of Galeria Matt Varnish., and am quite pleased with the result, which I named "Triumph", as I was a bit of a Triumph car nut when I was younger!

Sorry for the "noisy" images, but I took them early this morning before heading off to the RAF Museum, Hendon.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_7801_zpsbf953ee6.jpg

DSC_7803_zps5118ea12.jpg

DSC_7806_zps526a7ad9.jpg

DSC_7807_zps3cb82d3c.jpg

DSC_7810_zpsdfce577e.jpg

DSC_7811_zpsa92fe51d.jpg

DSC_7814_zpsed44e92b.jpg

• Like 2

Very nice. I have this same kit in my finished kits collection.

Hopefully my HMS Astute kit will be joining it soon enough.

Thanks very much, mate. I'll look forward to seeing your Astute soon.

Very nicely done, she looks quite formidable.

Thanks, Parabat. I agree that they certainly are formidable, ominous machines.

Thanks very much, mate. I'll look forward to seeing your Astute soon.

Thanks, Parabat. I agree that they certainly are formidable, ominous machines.

Here is the link to the thread on here, which is showing her as a complete hull, just needing decals

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234948580-hobbyboss-1350-hms-astute/#entry1494969

Cheers,

Rick