Ultimate Spitfire/Seafire Modeller Chart - (open-source - expert help needed)

warhawk

Danni's right to a degree, I'd rather model a Mk.V Firefly than one of those pointy winged Mk.VI or VII Spitfires...

So you build a D-day-era Mk.VII, which had the extended tips replaced by standard items (one reason why getting pedantic about the Spitfire is liable to result in a virtual clip around the ear.)

Edgar

• Like 1

So you build a D-day-era Mk.VII, which had the extended tips replaced by standard items (one reason why getting pedantic about the Spitfire is liable to result in a virtual clip around the ear.)

Edgar

Or stick with the Mark V Firebox that knew what wings engine or wheels that it would have on any given day and not drive innocent modellers bonkers with all that

silly changing things around rubbish!

You still have the question as to whether it was an FR, an AS or an NF, let alone being really a Mk.4 or 6. I thought that you'd know there's no such thing as a simple aeroplane!

I do like the Firefly too, at this safe distance in time, but can't help feeling that in the big picture it was a waste of a good Griffon. But there lies yet more digression...

• Like 1

I've never heard of a Mk IXB/b or IXC/c, just Mk IX and then with the introduction of the Mk IXE/e we then get 'Early Mk IX' introduced to differentiate.

On hundreds of model kits and books, yes...but not in any official printed documentation, Movement cards, AP etc...zilch.

Yes I know, lots and lots of 'short order' Mk IX wings using leading edge skins and 'chimney pots' from Mk VB/b and VC/c production and available parts..but those 'short orders' went on and on with the delay in the introduction of the 'beefed up' wing on the Mk VIII and XIV.

PeterA

• Like 1

There is a table of this nature setting out the main features of each Spitfire mark at the back of Trevor Snowden's "Spitfire Revisited" book from Dalrymple and Verdun. It lists over 30 features of the aircraft including wing type, wingspan, engine, prop, exhaust stack, wheels, tail wheel, canon barrels, radiators etc,

http://www.aviationbookcentre.com/military_piston_era_193645/spitfire_revisited_an_enthusiasts_guide_to_modelling_the_spitfire_and_seafire/13732_p.html

Or stick with the Mark V Firebox that knew what wings engine or wheels that it would have on any given day and not drive innocent modellers bonkers with all that

silly changing things around rubbish!

Being a pedantic unadventurous old so-and-so, if I'm intending to build a WWII aircraft, I do like to stick with aircraft which actually flew during WWII. :rules:

Edgar

• Like 1

Then, of course, there are the T8 and T9. The Speed Spitfire. The myriad development versions of 'prototypes'.

Do you count 'unofficial' versions? Russian trainers, German test rigs . . .

Nick

My goal is to count only RAF serial produced machines, since these are what I considering for my builds. I guess trainers could be added.

I've never heard of a Mk IXB/b or IXC/c, just Mk IX and then with the introduction of the Mk IXE/e we then get 'Early Mk IX' introduced to differentiate.

On hundreds of model kits and books, yes...but not in any official printed documentation, Movement cards, AP etc...zilch.

Yes I know, lots and lots of 'short order' Mk IX wings using leading edge skins and 'chimney pots' from Mk VB/b and VC/c production and available parts..but those 'short orders' went on and on with the delay in the introduction of the 'beefed up' wing on the Mk VIII and XIV.

PeterA

My word,'oo is this bloke?.Does he really know what he's talking about or what? :wicked:

:P :P (I do know 'oo 'ee really is before anyone gets rivet counter-ing) :lol: :lol:

My goal is to count only RAF serial produced machines, since these are what I considering for my builds. I guess trainers could be added.

No trainers if you're only counting RAF serialed production unless you want them before

conversion to Tr. spec.

The RAF never used a Spit two-pew at all.

There were "field" conversions by other wartime Airforces(Russian UTI's and that Aussie V two-seater),but

no officially sanctioned Supermarine built two-seat/trainers until the Irish Air Force asked for them post-war.

As we're speaking about small details, there's never been an Irish Air Force. What existed at the time was (and still is) the Irish Air Corps, a branch of the Defence Forces.

Back to the Spitfire, a similar chart appeared in the April 2006 issue of Model Aircraft Monthly, compiled by Trevor Snowden. It was not a 100% complete breakdown, and I believe this would be a huge task. Taks that however I believe could be done, although it would probably result in something where it would be easy to get lost...

"and that Aussie V two-seater),"

Please expand. Sounds interesting.

Magpie22

Sure it's around on here somewhere Magpie.

It's either Aussie or Middle-East(Desert Airforce)IIRC.

Basically it's a Mk.Vb/c with the top forward fuel tank removed and a "cockpit" created.

Again,IIRC,it just had a seat and harness fitted in there(no controls),a modified fuel tank

cover went over it with a "cockpit" shaped hole cut in it and a rudimentary windscreen

(Tiger Moth type)fitted.

Certainly a field conversion,more of a joyride/sightseeing/transport affair,definitely not a trainer.

The view over any Spit's nose isn't good for taxi,take-off and landing,so having someone's head

and shoulders in your eyeline must've made it pretty awful.

There is mention in the Morgan and Shacklady book of a Diesel engined Spit. No photos or drawings are known to exist. If I remember correctly there is also a drawing of a type of ducted prop too.

Trevor

There is mention in the Morgan and Shacklady book of a Diesel engined Spit. No photos or drawings are known to exist. If I remember correctly there is also a drawing of a type of ducted prop too.

Trevor

And you can't forget the Messerspit either, with the DB60something engine fitted.

And you can't forget the Messerspit either, with the DB60something engine fitted.

And now Brengun do a model of it, in 1/72nd scale (http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-72-plastic-kits-28/spitfire-vb-messerspit-982). I'm seriously tempted to buy it. I know it's blasphemous to say so, but it looks remarkably at home in the Luftwaffe markings.

Regards,

Jason

Trevor

Peugeot do supply their engines to a lot of manufacturers you know Trev :whistle:

And now Brengun do a model of it, in 1/72nd scale (http://www.brengun.cz/e-shop/1-72-plastic-kits-28/spitfire-vb-messerspit-982). I'm seriously tempted to buy it. I know it's blasphemous to say so, but it looks remarkably at home in the Luftwaffe markings.

Regards,

Jason

Fusion does a nice conversion set in 1/48 today available from Ultracast.

NPL

Ken, I've had just that idea! I don't now have the computer zen to do it, nor is it high on my priority list, but it sure would be nifty. I actually have little "paper dolls" so I can do it in mockup form.

bob

I offer to undertake the IT part. It is really "only" a modelling problem - and I don't mean plastic modelling ;)

Neil

Edited by Neil Whiteley-Bolton

Re alleged Oz two-seater, if memory serves it was an SAAF squadron conversion, probably with orange in the roundels.

Spitfire V ES127 KJ-I of 4 Sq SAAF. There's a photo on p.85 of Spitfire At War 3, taken in 1944 at Catania, which is where the modification was made.

Well I did Look for an appropriate post/place. Could not find one. SO! HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone may your modelling go from strength to strength, mishaps be few and may you always get the better of the carpet monster.

I am please that this post has opened up some interesting. I am learning some really cool stuff, like "scaring standing crops :thumbsup: "