Typhoon vs. Tempest Canopy - Dumb question!

Rabbit Leader

All,

This is probably the dumbest question to ever get asked here, however -

Q. Are the canopies for the Typhoon and Tempest the same or slightly different?

I have a number of publications, have looked here and on other web pages, however I cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for.

I am assuming that if they are the same, then the new 1/72 Airfix Typhoon transparencies are more accurate than the 1/72 Academy Tempest clear bits.

From photo's I've studied. there seems to be a more tapered end to rear of the canopy, which is captured with the Airfix Typhoon parts. The Academy Tempest has a more fatter shape towards the rear. I'm tempted to use the Airfix parts on my Academy Typhoon Tempest, however would like some expert opinion to back up my assumptions. I'll also need a new set of Typhoon parts if that's the case!!

Thanks for looking / answering my dumb question.

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited - I wrote building an Academy Typhoon rather than Tempest.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

The same.

But if you are interested in shape accuracy, I wouldn't build an Academy Typhoon now that we have the Brengun and Airfix. The nose and both props looks funny, and lot of surface details need corrections.

I hope you dint mind me asking... Whats the best 1/72 Tempest V kit out there?

Wellsprop,

I'm tackling the Academy kit at the moment. It's not a new kit, however does have nicely engraved panel lines.

The only other 1/72 kits I'm aware of are the very old and crude Revell kit, one from Heller and a Smer copy of the same kit.

Special Hobby and Matchbox also put out kits of the Tempest, however these are Mk.II & VI versions.

The Academy kit has some rather annoying issues, however a little filing and some cross-kitting might make this a liitle more accurate.

The new Airfix Typhoon has a lovely canopy and now that I've seen this, I cannot think about putting the original kit canopy on - bad news as I now need another canopy for my Typhoon??

I might also replace the prop, as the Academy kit's props are too broad and the spinner has some awful square cut-outs.

Unless our good freinds at Airfix do us all a favour and release a new Tempest - I believe the Academy kit is your best option at the moment.

When (If) I finish it - I'll post some piccys.. ??

Cheers .. Dave

I haven't met the Academy kit myself, but the Heller kit is lovely. It does have raised panel lines, which will put some off. I have seen comments that it is more accurate than the Academy kit, too. One thing- DON'T buy the Zvezda kit!

bob

Not sure how short the fuselage is, however I doubt this would be noticeable once fully built.

There's actually a few built examples of the Academy kit here, and they've come up a treat without major surgery.

I could be wrong, however I thought that the Academy kit was a copy off the Heller kit with the addition of recessed panel lines?

Someone may confirm of deny this.

Don't feel worried about hijacking this thread.. The more talk about the beautiful Tempest the better in my books.

Cheers.. Dave.