xffw45343tg

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently the hover "problem" is a fundamental lack of support for VTOL in the underlying simulator model. I read somewhere that Razbam got around this by tweaking the aircraft config so that there are 2 engines (one pointing down, one aft) which they balance to achieve VTOL. This contrasts with Sim Skunkworks Harrier where they wrote a shim to address the issue in the flight model. Downside to the latter is that they're only doing the II+.

I'm working on my own prototype of the cockpit systems so I'm not going to play with either until I'm finished. Oh and my FSX PC is broken.

So, if anyone wants to write a review....

• Like 1

I *think* that may have been the original (2001) JustFlight one, Tim. The thing about the "super flaps" was that you had to have some forward speed to get the lift and since the lift was proportional to a huge multiple of the airspeed it was, er, 'tricky' to get any control; I couldn't fly it for toffee. The cockpit was a work of fiction iirc.

Kirk

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Dec 2018 update :

DCS - Razbam clearly got their Harrier (AV-8B night Attack) sorted and was on offer at the Black Friday Sales at £29 ish. I took the plunge and wow......It's taken over a week to figure out how to hover, but the slow rolling landings etc are pretty straight forward. Some one has even made a MOD for HMS Hermes during the 1982 Falklands period (which I cannot get t work) but if you are serious about a Harrier, then goggle some of the videos on youtube to get some idea just how good 5 years since the 1st post n this topic has changed Flight Sims.

I don't have photoshop(?) but I am seriously impressed with some of the "painting" skills that players have added to the DCS series. The weathering and markings that people are doing at home is as good (certainly better than my plastic efforts) as any on this website (again - just google the new Heatblur F-14 for DCS and just look at the painting on that.

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. I have both the Razbam (FSX) & SSW but not the Razbam DCS. Given that I have a total time in the 2 of about an hour (need to improve my real world flying skills first), I can't really justify getting it just yet, although I did take a quick look through the user guide and was fairly impressed. They've clearly pored through the public domain documentation and maybe some other data also to figure out all the weapons and ECM systems - which is not true for the one's I've tried. This may mean that the overall package is very realistic - though I'll sit on the fence until I've actually installed it.

Anyone know if DCS has real world geographic coverage yet? 

Kirk

Just geo coverage for the Caucasus, Hormuz Straits and Nevada training areas. In the pipeline are Vietnam and the Falklands. 

The Harrier is sublime, the Hornet is similar and I still love the Viggen for getting there stupidly low, fast and leaving behind a lot of craters.

• Thanks 1