Spitfire XIVe WWII

wellsprop

Hi,

I have a particular interest in the Spitfire XIVe RV (low back). I'm looking for the serials and codes of XIVs in Europe during the war.

I've already made three XIVs from the continent;
MV268 JEJ
NH745 EB-V and
MV263 GCK

I have the osprey aircraft of the aces book which says they are two more that were on the continent NH915 EB H and MV260 EB Q. These are the only two I know of however NH915 didn't arrive till post VE Day according to the production list (just found out that NH915 was in Germany before VE day).

Anyone know of any others?

Regards,
Ben.

Edited by wellsprop

You can add MV348 "S" of 414 (Canadian" Sqn. There's a picture of this in Bracken's "Spitfire, the Canadians" dated April 1945. This is consistent with the details for this aircraft in the History, that have MV348 delivered in the same month to the unit

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can't think of any but I'll have a look through my 2nd TAF volumes. There are lists of aircraft with serials and codes that may reveal your EB-N.

We're talking Europe/ 2nd. TAF. Not SEAC by the way.

We're talking Europe/ 2nd. TAF. Not SEAC by the way.

You are indeed, though the title of the threat is less specific. However, the question about SEAC is posed in #7 and deserved an answer. Fortunately a very short digression.

Edited by Graham Boak

Interesting- I guess I failed to examine the comment about NH915 before. The individual history (as given in Spit the Hist) says it went to 41 Sqn 12-7, but that 7 could easily have been a mis-read handwritten 4. (This aircraft went on to 416 Squadron in September '45 when 41 handed off their XIVs to convert to Tempests.)

bob

wellsprop....EB*N was a high-back with the serial SM820.. It went on to serve with 416 Sqn

John

Cheers John!

Interesting.. I assumed it was a low back, especially given this painting. Obviously, a piece of artwork as a source is unreliable, I do wonder where he got his information/mis-information.

LE1-Combat-over-Lake-Schwerin-Spitfire-F

Ben

Ermm, nothing to say that one serial was one letter for its entire career with a unit- it is possible that there were different 'N's at different times. On the other hand, John may know in more detail (or with more precision) than what he said here, and I'd love to hear the excruciating detail.

bob

Hi Ben,

The painting may reflect an earlier a/c. SM820 didn't arrive onto 416 Sqn until September '45. All indications are that the 41 Sqn individual code letters were kept with only the sqn codes changing.

You have listed NH745 as EB-V but there was as later 'V' with the serial of NH832 (also a low-back).

John

Ben, with regards your original post, I have MV260 as EB-P (from a photo) - not to say it wasn't EB-Q at one stage though, as you have written.

I have MV264 as an EB-Q (also from a photo). Both are low back Spit Mk XIVs.

PR

The painting may reflect an earlier a/c. SM820 didn't arrive onto 416 Sqn until September '45. All indications are that the 41 Sqn individual code letters were kept with only the sqn codes changing.

You have listed NH745 as EB-V but there was as later 'V' with the serial of NH832 (also a low-back).

NH745 struck an object on takeoff 16 April '45 and was not repaired. NH832 is given as joining 41 Squadron "12-7", like NH915. So if it in fact joined 12 April, it would have been well positioned to become the new 'V'. SM823 actually IS recorded as joining on 12 April. (Also supposedly joining on "12-7" are high-backs NH692 and NH715- any evidence of them being on the squadron from 12 April?)

All of these aircraft that came on 12 April and/or July were passed on to 416 Squadron, which had been on the Spit XVI until being handed 41's XIVs in September. No surprise that the individual letters were retained- they'd have been busy enough painting on the new squadron letters (from EB to DN).

bob

• 5 years later...

Digging up an old thread here and possibly answering my own question from 7 years ago (I was still in 6th form then!)...

From 41 Squadrons records from 1st May 1945, ref AIR 27/426/32

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8457156

P Cowell and W Jallands flew 2 sorties on this day, the first P Cowell was in SM820 and W Jallands NH692. For the second, Cowell was in NH915 and Jallands again in NH692. The information with the painting suggests the engagement between 41 Sqn and the 190's was around 1PM, from AIR 27/426/32, we know that the first sortie landed at 13:25 (the second sortie was much later between 19:30 and 21:20. Therefore, Cowell was flying SM820 at the time of the engagement.

NH915 certainly was a low back, I assume NH692 was too. This thread has subsequently been referenced over on keyaero where SM845 has been identified as a low back and SM820 has already been identified here as a high back.

I have subsequently found the following low back XIVs (only the FR versions would have had clipped wings);

MV260 EB-P

MV264 EB-Q

NH915 EB-H

MV257 JEJ (post war)

MV348 S (FR)

NH903 VC-P (FR)

NH648 P (FR)

and, from earlier in the thread;

MV268 JEJ
NH745 EB-V
MV263 GCK JEFF

All of these, except where noted, were operational before VE day. At some point, I'll get round to going through 41 Sqns records to work out all the aircraft they had and which were low back Spitfires.

Ben

• Like 3

Here's a list that I'm compiling of the Spit XIVe's operated by 402 Squadron (RCAF) prior to the end of the war ...

402 Squadron Spitfire Mk XIVe's,  1944 & 1945

(from various sources)

XIVe  (unsure as to variant)

RN126             AE*M  Flt Ldr D.R. Drummond (believed to be highback)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mk XIVe (Highback)

RM727            AE*P  F/L H. Cowan, Heesch, March 1945

RN119             AE*J  Flt Off C.B. MacConnell, Shot down a Ju 88 on 19 April 1945, while based at Wunstorf,                                Germany.

RM933            AE*T Sqn Ldr  D.C. Gordon,  Wunstorf, Germany, April, 1945

also S/L Laubman  (shot down by flak 14/04/45 - S/L Laubman POW)

RM687            AE*G F/S W.G. Austin (Maple leaf, lower invasion stripes)

also F/O E.A. Kean

RM682            AE*K  Sqn Ldr L.A. Moore, Heesch, Feb 1945

RM683            AE*N  Sqn Ldr W.G. Dodd, Hawkinge, Aug 1944

RM651            AE*Y F/O T.B. Lee claimed a Fw190 flying this a/c on 20 Apr 1945.

RM862            AE*K Flt Lt K.S. Sleep, Heesch, Feb 1945

RM875            AE*H Flt Off  H.K. Nicholson, Heesch, March 1945

RM804            AE*E Flt Off R.W. Lawson , Heesch, March 1945

NH703            AE*B   Flt Off C.B. MacConnell, ('Emily')

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

F XIVe (Bubbletop, full span wings, no camera)

NH744            AE*Z S/L Laubman , Rheine, Germany,April, 1945

(shot down by flak 14/04/45 - S/L Laubman POW)

MV252            AE*Q  Flt Lt M.V. Knight,  Wunstorf, Germany, April, 1945

MV256            AE*K - CO's a/c (White rudder) - S/L Gordon

MV258            AE* ? - shot down by flak 25/03/45 - S/L Moore KIA

MV265            AE*I

MV263            *JEFF Wing Com G.W. Northcott, Sept, 1945

---------------------------------------------------------------

FR XIVe (Bubbletop, clipped wings, with camera)

MV310            AE*C  Sqn Ldr Gordon, Wunstorf, Germany, May, 1945

NH905            AE*N

49174590753_e842570e00_c.jpg

My attempt ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 3 years later...