1/72 - Hawker Hurricane Mk.1 (new variant) by Airfix- released

Homebee

Airfix is to release in 2014 a variant from the new 1/72nd "fabric wings" Hurricane (ref.A02067), a Hawker Hurricane Mk.I "metal covered wings" under ref. A01010.

A fabric wings in the illustrations/box arts??? Displayed as new-tooling.gif ????? Error?

Source: http://www.airfix.com/shop/new-for-2014/172-scale-military-aircraft/a01010-hawker-hurricane-mki-172/

a01010-hawker-hurricane-mk.jpg

But also as stater set (fabric or metal covered wings Hurricane?)

Ref. A55111

Source: http://www.airfix.com/shop/new-for-2014/172-scale-military-aircraft/a55111-hawker-hurricane-mki-starter-set-172/

a55111-website-1.jpg

V.P

MattMemory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee

That illustration still looks like a fabric winged one to me.

I agree but displayed as new-tooling.gif and under another product ref. number than the recent "fabric wings" Hurricane Mk.I ref.A02067

Hurricane+Airfix+72e.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Maybe it is a temporary boxart. Description says this: The original fabric-covered winged Hurricane MkI was upgraded with a de Havilland or Rotol constant speed metal propeller, metal-covered wings, armour and other improvements. In 1939, the RAF had taken on about 500 of this later design.

I think this is a kit of Hurricane Mk. I late with metal covered wings.... Why would airfix write about metal covered wing in the description of fabric wing Hurri ?

Final verdict - boxart is wrong, this isn't of hight probability fabric wing Hurricane but new tool metal wing hurricane. Metal wing is most popular version and Airfix isn't stupid - he can't ignore this main version of famous BoB dogfighter ! And need successor of his old M.W.C. Hurricane Mk. I....

Edited by AlCZ
  • Like 1

It looks like the wing roots are supposed to have paint flaking off them to reveal metal beneath. Anyhoo, I'm sure it's a metal-winged kit, because it's been a long week and I need something to cling to, dammit.

• Like 1

The clue,for me, is in the code. Airfix have put the new version in Series One since the early Hurricane bits aren't needed. All we'll get is a new wing and possibly a Rotol prop option (but probably just the DH one). Also, the box art shows metal outboard of the guns - I doubt an artist of the calibre of Adam Tooby would make such a schoolboy error.

The markings in the starter set are for the aircraft in the Science Museum, so this will have the fabric wing. It's a smart choice since they can put them in the museum shop.

On the "72 Aircraft" site, "Jonathan" states "...- the box art depicts a Dh prop rag-wing Hurricane of 85 Sqn." and admits that the text is misleading. The box art however is not misleading: it does show the landing light in the position of the fabric wing version, and the metal showing on the leading edge is completely consistent as the leading edge was metal. Fabric seams would not survive the local airflows.

I don'understand this. On boxart is probably fabric wing hurricane, but in box - metal wing hurricane... Fabric wing is minor version. It is boxart only. We must wait for relase of this kit... But i beg to metal wing...

The parts for early and late Hurricanes were scattered across the sprues, not just on separable sprues. The only missing part I spotted was a reflector gunsight. There's nothing in the first release that stops this being simply a re-release with new markings and instruction sheet. There were however quite a few changes in the early Hurricane production, worth checking out if you stray from the kit markings.

It does seem strange that Airfix would 'drop' the kit down to another series (Series 1) without a serious drop in the parts count. It cannot simply be down to supplying one rather than two decal options in the kit unless its a marketing ploy to get it into the true 'pocket money' range - those new thin Series 1 boxes do appear to be the 21st Century equivalent of the header card/plastic bag of bygone days.

• Like 1

My guess (and a guess is all it is) is that the box art will change, the blurb on the Airfix site specifically mentions 'metal covered wings' - and de Havilland and Rotol propellers too... seems unlikely that you would want to draw attention to these if you weren't planning on putting them in the kit; might upset people :weep:

Graham, regarding the reflector gunsight, do you think that would be on the clear sprue which would be different anyway for the later type windscreens?

Cheers,

Stew

Gunsight on clear sprue - that's a thought. I don't think I simply missed it... The initial kit does provide two windscreens.

I've just been scrambling through my wastebin trying to piece together bits of clear sprue, but having successfully done so, there's no missing part number. But then, had the gunsight been present someone would have pointed out my error before now. Given that Airfix do produce three releases of a given kit, I don't think there's good reason to expect a metal wing one this time around, and strong evidence not to. Dreams are free - but the kit will be out in January anyway, apparently, so we'll soon find out.

Hi Graham,

Yes but take a good look at those two windscreens,- aren't they just different versions of the early type windscreen? Neither has the 'arch' shape at the top of the armour glass panel nor the little horizontal bracing struts for it at each side near the top, if you know what I mean. I was thinking of the possibility of a new clear sprue altogether with the later armoured glass and a reflector gunsight included. Granted you would also need a new sprue A and a new sprue C with the new metal wings on which makes the whole prospect a bit more iffy but if you accept a new clear sprue as a possibility then new sprues with the metal wing parts becomes a bit less far-fetched...

As much as anything I suppose I am wishing it to be true. Still, like you said we will find out in a month or so.

Cheers,

Stew

On the whole that's good news for those (like me) who may want to purchase a number of these, however bad news for others (me included) who also wanted to make a swag of metal wing Hurris?

To be honest - there's enough new stuff (and unbuilt 2013 kits) to keep most of us going into 2015.

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1