1/48 - Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb by Airfix - released

Homebee

Jeez...Why no-one wants tomake Spitfire Mk.Vc. Don't the Airfix guys know that releasing Spit Vc would bring lots of quid/bucks/euro to their pocket. And yet another Vb. But I'll probably buy one to check the quality.

Yeah.. Tamiya´s is really nice so Airfix could have done the Vc instead. But I´ll by it ofcourse, just not as many since I have a bunch Tamiya ones..

Maybe they have some new ideas about this one though....

Jeez...Why no-one wants tomake Spitfire Mk.Vc. Don't the Airfix guys know that releasing Spit Vc would bring lots of quid/bucks/euro to their pocket. And yet another Vb. But I'll probably buy one to check the quality.

Well it's likely that they will do the same thing they did with their last Vb and box a Vc with a new wing (well I hope it will be new, their current C wing for the Vc is a little crude).

Another option is to use the leftover parts from an XII/XVII to XV crosskit to do a Vc from the Vb (as you will end up with a leftover C wing with an V-type radiator setup).

Edited by Adam Maas

I just hope it hasn't got that ridiculous combined rear glass/canopy as the option for open canopy builds. I noticed that the majority of XII and XIX builds on line were with a closed canopy; probably because of this. On that particular issue, Airfix re-designed the wheel and came up with a square one.

Dave

Edited by Dave Gibson

Like many I would have preferred a Vc as the Tamiya Vb is a nice kit (albeit with a shape issue), not hard to find and still reasonably priced. However, as has been said before, it makes no money for Airfix. Also, I suspect that away from the modelling forums a Vb would have more appeal as it was used over British skies and there is an example with the BBMF. It also fits in with the programme of updating favourites from the the Airfix catalogue.

Maybe there will be a Vc in a year or two?

Edited by davidelvy

Well I'm looking forwards to this one , it will be nice to have an accurate MkV of any version , all the others availible have shape issues, [ the best in outline being the old Airfix MkV ].

Never look a gift horse in the mouth , I say.

Andrew

• Like 1

can't believe this the vb is prob as important as any other aircraft and all people want is something else just goes to show how spoilt we sure at the moment

It's not that we think the Vb is unimportant it's just that all of the mainstream kits of the Mk.V are Vb's, a new Vc would be very welcome! That's all we're saying!

Wez

• Like 1

I appreciate that this forum is more often than not conducted by good natured global modellers, however it appears that it is getting more difficult to express ones views without someone labelling you as "negative" or "spoilt"!

I totally agree with Wez above. No one is questioning the significance of the Vb itself, rather - with a quite good (in most opinions) Tamiya kit being on the market for over 15 years, then (perhaps!) a Vc version would have been a better choice.

Now let's keep this thread nice and gentlemanly shall we...

Cheers.. Dave.

• Like 1

No one is questioning the significance of the Vb itself, rather - with a quite good (in most opinions) Tamiya kit being on the market for over 15 years, then (perhaps!) a Vc version would have been a better choice.

Cheers.. Dave.

A better choice for modellers on this forum, but not for Airfix. As they have had both thenVb and the Vc in their range they will know which sells. Frankly, I would have preferred a Vc or, better still a XIV but I'll just have to wait.

apologies I didn't mean to upset anyone just remember a vc does.nt make as much money globally as a vb plus the tamiya vb doesn't make money for airfix that said how long if the kit is popular will it take .fo them to produce a c wing

Why not? Most casual buyers will buy because it's an Airfix Spitfire, they won't be bothered by sub-type whereas those of us who are repeat offenders will probably already have a Tamiya Vb in the stash. The Vc was widely used in Europe, Malta, the push up through Italy and the Balkans, the Far East and Australia, it can be modelled in a wide variety of colour schemes - there's no reason why it wouldn't sell as well as a Vb.

A better choice for modellers on this forum, but not for Airfix. As they have had both thenVb and the Vc in their range they will know which sells. Frankly, I would have preferred a Vc or, better still a XIV but I'll just have to wait.

Did they do a Vc in 1/48th? Was that part of the option that allowed you to make a Seafire? If it was, I seem to remember the wing moulding being criticised for being too thick and clumsy, certainly if you scaled up the trailing edge of their 1/72nd Vc moulding it would be as thick as a brick! Perhaps that's why they didn't sell so well?

Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased they're bring out a Vb, I'd rather give Airfix my money than say Tamiya or Hasegawa, I'd be much happier if there was a Vc option but I'll be buying it either way!

I'm sure it will be a success and we'll get a Vc eventually,I just hope they don't persist with that way they depict the open canopy on a Spitfire!

Wez

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that Airfix wanted to produce every Spitfire variant. They also want to update all their old toolings. Does this not seem a reasonable starting point on that basis?

• Like 1

I may be wrong, but my understanding was that Airfix wanted to produce every Spitfire variant. They also want to update all their old toolings. Does this not seem a reasonable starting point on that basis?

Absolutely! But they could have stolen a march on the opposition by producing a Vc now.

Say you're looking at three Vb's - Airfix, Hasegawa and Tamiya - you've dabbled with the hobby a bit and you've heard that Tamiya make great kits, so do Hasegawa - why would you buy Airfix's? You'd only buy it if it was considerably cheaper than the opposition, or if you were informed enough to know it was better than either of the opposition OR if it was a different version, you might be intrigued enough to try a different version... ...an opportunity missed I feel, that's all.

Wez

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Say you're looking at three Vb's - Airfix, Hasegawa and Tamiya - you've dabbled with the hobby a bit and you've heard that Tamiya make great kits, so do Hasegawa - why would you buy Airfix's?

Two known reasons and one reasonable prediction:

Because the Hasegawa one has not actually been available for several years, so isn't in the shops anyway.

Because the Airfix one will in fact cost a fair bit less than the Tamiya one (at least in the UK and Europe, of course in more remote markets it may be the other way around in which case, fine, buy the Tamiya if price is your priority)

Because the Airfix one (on their present form) will be more accurate than either the Tamiya or Hasegawa ones.

• Like 1