1/72 - Supermarine Swift FR.5 by Airfix - released - Freightdog F.1, 2, 4 and F.7 conversion sets - reissue in Spring 2024

Homebee

1/48th would have been nice but 1/72nd is still OK,....... although I already have the CMR & Xtrakits kits already I`ll still be buying one. If it had been 1/48th I probably would have bought two to build one each from II (AC) & 79 Sqn`s.

Cheers

Tony

Airfix is to release in 2014 a new tool 1/72nd Supermarine Swift FR.5 kit – ref.A04003

I'm really really disappointed by the scale... So not for me.

I'm not, I'm ******* delighted!!

At least 5 FR5s in my mind and then conversions back to F1,2,3,4 and up to F7. I never thought I'df see a mainstream Swift (My favourite afircraft after the Harrier)

• Like 2

I'm OK with this. Not my most wanted but I think I'll give it a go. Would have been VERY nice if Airfix did a newer tool for the Hunter!! I know Revell do a nice one but not to have one in the Airfix range... sort of doesn't seem right...? The same as Airfix not having a Phantom, Victor and others in their range.

I am very happy to see airfix are releasing all the kits I have dreamed they would do. I am very happy about this.. Come on Airfix give us New Tool Vulcan B1 and Victor B1 to go with the valiant B1 please....

• Like 1

You cannot please all of the people all of the time: we should be grateful to Airfix for what they already have given us and what they will be giving us in 2014.

But has anybody noticed the large number of Starter and Gift sets? I'll hazard that most of us modellers are (well) into the second half of our modelling lives. Hopefully Airfix will never die, but that's far from assured unless 'new blood' (and not from slips with the modelling knife) is brought in: in other words they must create a demand. As far as I can see they are the only ones trying to do this, though all others stand to benefit from their efforts.

To change the subject slightly, has anyone looked at Humbrol's 2014 releases? USAF WW11 colours for example: aside from the fact that it was then USAAF, the box shows two USN aircraft and a Korean War Mustang! RAF WW11 shows an EE Lightning and Chipmunk!

From this and other issues (1/72 Hurricane), I have the impression that the website released to a deadline rather than when it was 100% correct. Given the huge interest shown on this site, the sooner it could be released the better even if some later corrections were needed.

Keep up the good work Hornby Hobbies

• Like 1

I'm not, I'm ******* delighted!!

At least 5 FR5s in my mind and then conversions back to F1,2,3,4 and up to F7. I never thought I'df see a mainstream Swift (My favourite afircraft after the Harrier)

Hawk were a mainstream manufacturer of plastic kits, back in the day ...

http://www.scalemates.com/products/product.php?id=159360

:winkgrin:

Ah the old Hawk kit of the Swift... I have one that came in a box like that. Built a few years ago with some improvements (a cockpit and wheel wells for a starter..), I sometimes look at the model and wonder if I should update it a bit.

Of course there will be no need now

This is perfect for me, as I only work in the one true scale. I've had the Swift on my wish list for years, figuring I would have to go for the CMR resin, which is one of their earlier efforts and not up to their current capabilities. This new kit from Airfix should fit my needs perfectly!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

Well obviously this had to come out, after I'd spent an hour queueing at telford for a Rareplanes one. ( It was only 3 quid and I like vacs so it's still getting built) This looks marvellous, and I'll be having a few for conversions as well as straight builds. Would love them to scale up a la Gnat andSpit19.

• Like 1

Well obviously this had to come out, after I'd spent an hour queueing at telford for a Rareplanes one. ( It was only 3 quid and I like vacs so it's still getting built) This looks marvellous, and I'll be having a few for conversions as well as straight builds. Would love them to scale up a la Gnat andSpit19.

You did it! You willed it into existence!

Hmmmm. I've this crazy notion about doing all the Supermarine fighters from the Type 224 to the Scimitar (well maybe not so crazy - I've acquired most of the Spitfire range already). This one will fit right in. Bill (Navy Bird), too right about the one true scale (I believe it's even specifically mentioned in the Bible, or did I dream it?)!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

With CAD/CAM, its as easy to up scale as it to down scale other than that its a commercial decision.

Marty...

This is actually simply not true. It's not a simple matter of making the bits 50% larger or 33% smaller. Some parts which can be injection moulded successfully in a larger scale would be too fine and delicate to survive the process without breakage in the smaller scale, thin wing edges which can be injection moulded at a given heat and pressure will be left short shot as the smaller volume of flowing plastic cools too quickly in a smaller cavity.

There are dozens of factors that simply don't scale up or down but remain the same regardless, and others that affect moulding small items differently than when moulding large items.

You are right though vis a vis the commercial decision. It's partly to do with what will sell, but also to do with whether the cost of all the CAD rework necessary will make the exercise pay.

Shane

• Like 1