Moebius Batman Tumbler

The new Moebius Batmobile from the Christopher Nolan trilogy. All molded in black plastic so please excuse the photos as my phone struggles!

Whilst I wait for my new airbrush from Little Cars, I've started this one.

Box shot

IMAG0609_1_zps932af9e4.jpg

The two seats built up. I've purposefully over exposed the shot to show the detail a bit better.

IMAG0598_zpsb4fd0b2b.jpg

As noted in the discussion thread, only one seat comes with harnesses but no Batman to go in the drivers seat. Bit cheap of Moebius!

Centre Console.

IMAG0601_zpsaeac0191.jpg

I've used the plastic card to completely cover the seam line and the lower one under the throttle quadrant is on top of a panel. It was quicker to measure and cut some sheet plastic than to try and fill and tidy a rather deep seam line in a tight space. Console is missing a screen that goes below the throttle as there's a dirty great big injection mark in the middle I've yet to deal with.

And the seats and console on the chassis floor.

IMAG0604_zps07def22a.jpg

• Like 1

Done some more little sub assemblies today. Controller minus control sticks, jet housing and a few chassis parts.

Something that really annoys me with Moebius kits (this is number 4 that I've done) is mold release agent as 3 of the 2 have been covered and that they really like putting seams inside tight trenches. Iron Man's legs are an example.

Jethousingbefore_zps3621eeab.jpg

You can see here how I mean. I ended up leveling the seam out with my least favorite tool (fibreglass pencil) then using trusty 0.10" card to finish.

Jet housing finished.

Jethousing_zpsadb46b6a.jpg

Needed a tiny bit of filler on the top edge as well.

And the controls - look a bit rough currently but under some primer will come around.

controller_zpsd6598728.jpg

Detail on this part is really nice actually, very fine, very crisp.

The assembly of the cockpit is a little tricky. There's an outer later on the front and sides which have inner skins with the detail. Later on in the build, all the external detail then also locates on the outer layer, therefore it's important to get it all as true as possible.

My way of doing it was as follows:

Remove the front, rear and side outer walls and the front inner from the sprue and clean up.

Locate the side pieces - these go in fairly easily as there are full length locating slots.

Put the rear wall in place. It should be at 90 degrees to the base. Glue this into place and let it dry.

Locate the front inner detail panel into place, it's got two tabs. Use some tape to then hold this to the base.

Line the front outer panel so it sits on top of the ledge on the floor piece.

Use the two side panels and the gunners position to set the alignment up.

Glue the front outer to the inner and let dry. Do NOT stick it to the floor.

You can now line up both side inner panels so that they touch the floor. They won't butt perfectly up against the side outer panels but looking at other builds and the instructions, this is intentional.

Glue the inner and outer together.

Done!

Mine looked like this whilst it was all drying. I used Tamiya Extra Thin, the kit seems to respond well to this.

2013-12-20222726_zps65c9cd87.jpg

Cockpit built minus a few additional screens and control panels.

2013-12-20230352_zpse1a04ea4.jpg

Another tip for the rear sub assembly...

These parts...

2013-12-21103037_zps0752e416.jpg

Join together with, trapping the rear axle. Make sure to remove the injection pin marks on the arms shown on the left as these will stop them locating properly. Also, on both parts you can see a locating tab level with the top of the tank. This was flashed over on mine, again, remove it all or the jet housing won't locate.

You can see where the housing locates on this photo. It's all just dry built together whilst I check fitment on all parts.

2013-12-21113058_zps3fdbf5bf.jpg

Edited by Breaker

• 3 months later...

Time for a reboot!

Well I got bogged down on this one due to a problem with a primer. I stripped all the paint off, given the entire model a wash down with soap and a clean rinse. Goes well now with a present I received!

2014-04-20183245_zps467f049d.jpg

2014-04-20185850_zps0a31fa64.jpg

2014-04-20185315_zps2148cc36.jpg

Please ignore the weathered jeans :P

• Like 1

Looks similar quality-wise to the Bat Pod. Nice detail, relatively accurate but a regrettable tendency to make bits out of two halves that need filling and sanding. You seem to be taking all this in your stride though!

Will