HobbyBoss 1/48th A-7A Corsair II

Finished this one a few weeks ago, the HobbyBoss 1/48th A-7A Corsair II, finished as Bu.No 153177 coded 'AC-15' operated by VA-105 off USS Saratoga in 1973. This Corsair II was retired from the US Navy and was then converted to an A-7P and served with the Portuguese Air Force, she is now in store at Alverca.

A-7A0438_zpsa96cb897.jpg

The downsides of the HobbyBoss Corsair II series have been long debated here and elsewhere but I can live with the faults and this was a straightforward build. It goes together quite well and needed very little filler. The instruction sheet can be a bit sparse especially regards the cockpit but I like researching so no real problem.

A-7A0440_zpsdb87373d.jpg

My airbrushing was less than brilliant unfortunately and I ended up drenching the model with too much Klear in one application!

A-7A0439_zpsdaac925d.jpg

The two things I did mess up were the jet air intake (more filler needed!) and the wing centre stations weapon loads. I originally intended for her to carry a pair of AGM-62A Walleyes but I had some spare Mk.82's so I made up two TER's and they just did not go at all well, sort of hang like coconuts! I also put a pair of LAU-10 rocket pods on the outboard stations. When I get the inclination I will complete the Walleyes and take the TER's off.

A-7A0442_zps97983818.jpg

Still, learned a lot from this one and will be happy to try another HobbyBoss Corsair II, maybe the next one will be one of the two-seaters.

Michael

• Like 1

The accuracy police certainly gave these a bit of a bashing but to me it looks like an A-7 and having seen quite a few of these kits in the box, I can vouch for the nice neat moulding of the kits and their fine detailing. Another plus is that you get a decent supply of weapons to put on them. I've got a Hobby Boss 1/72 A-7K in the stash as I love the even uglier 2 seaters, in particular the Iowa ANG camouflage.

Nice one, bring on the next one!

thanks

Mike