White trucks in British service?

Killingholme

Hi all,

Hobbyboss has just released a really tasty White 6 ton 6x6 truck. I have a real soft spot for large truck models, so I purchased it thinking somewhere in the back of my mind the British used these under lend-lease.

However, I can't find any evidence of the 6x6 version (with winch behind the cab) used. Does anyone know if they did and can prove it photographically?

So, assuming I've bought the wrong kit, I decided to continue digging- I knew I'd seen a White truck in British service somewhere. It appears they received quite a few of the 6X4 version of the same truck, the so called '1064'

There is a photo of one in Britain in the recent Tankograd 'British Trucks' book, and one more captured on film before D-Day here...http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_183394-White-1064-1942.html

So...

1) am I right in saying that all I need to do to convert the hobbyboss kit to a '1064' is delete the winch, replace it with a spare wheel carrier, scratchbuild a longer load bay (possibly even keeping the front and back pieces- just new longer sides) and substitute a plain front axle/eliminate the front diff?

2) Does anyone know who operated the White truck seen in the link above? I can make out markings on the bumpers, but I don't have sufficient references to decode those sort of things.

Any help on this unusual rare subject would be most appreciated

cheers

Will

Edited by Killingholme

I don't know a lot about White trucks but the Data Book of Wheeled Vehicles has some information. This book provided transport officers with the specifications of all wheeled vehicles in British Army service and it includes entries for the White 666 6 ton 6 X 6 and the White 1064 10 ton 6 X 4 ( I have just realised that the model number is load capacity and the driving wheels arrangement).

Apart from the 6 X 6 vs 6 X 4 configuration, the two vehicles had little in common with different wheelbases, wheel and tyre sizes and overall dimensions; all issues that could be dealt with in a conversion - if you've got the patience and determination.

Cheers

David

Cheers David

Good news- if they included the White 666 then somewhere, someone in the British army must have used them?!

Bad news- the conversion to 1064 might be a wee bit more involved than I thought. If it's not cheeky, could I ask you what the principal dimensions of the 1064 actually are compared to a 666?

thanks once again.

Will

Happy to help Will.

White 666

Tyres - 10.00 X 22, dual rears

Overall length - 24'

Overall width - 8'

Overall height - 10'

Inside body length - 11'

Inside body width - 7'4"

Inside body height - 5'

The cargo body is dimensionally similar to that of the Mack NM5 (inside dimensions are the same).

White 1064

Wheelbase - 16'8"

Bogie centres - 4'4"

Tyres: front - 11.00 X 24, rear - 14.00 X 20, singles all round (one of each as spares)

Track: front - 73.5", rear - 72.5"

Overall length - 27'3"

Overall width - 8'

Overall height - 10'3"

Inside body length - 15'

Inside body width - 7'4"

Inside body height - 5'6"

Cheers

David

Yes it was RAF, 51 MT Company.

My father was a driver mechanic in the REs his company had at least one of the 10 tonners; it was either with 279 Fld Co 15 Div or 150 Field Park Co & Arm Div. normally ran as a flat without the dropsides or tailboard.

And blow me- there appears to be decals available for 51MT trucks! I think the modelling gods are telling me to stop being lazy and get on with converting this kit!

Shame I can't see the rafmtd image in closer detail- I think you need to be a paying member.

And blow me- there appears to be decals available for 51MT trucks! I think the modelling gods are telling me to stop being lazy and get on with converting this kit!

Shame I can't see the rafmtd image in closer detail- I think you need to be a paying member.

Am very interested, where can one obtain these decals from please?

And are they in 1/35 scale...

Just building one of mine here on WIP at the moment - it's a real corker :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• 5 years later...