1/72 - Dassault Mirage F-1 family by Special Hobby - F-1B/C/CG/CE/CH/EQ/ED/AZ/CZ released - Heller F-1B rebox

Homebee

Source: http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=22167

Availabe here: http://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/mirage-f-1c-simple-set.html?cur=1&force_sid=ae759ad21c2675e4bef0313182719870

SS005 - Mirage F.1C 1/72

Mirage F.1C plastic part sprues with instruction sheet in a PE bag.

ba6f85d3-e38e-4113-92d4-9913ed6376d4_sim

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

Ok, I have been looking forward to these releases ever since they were first announced (two and a half years ago). But, I haven't bought one yet. I will get a two seater for sure, but I'm really hanging on for the French Armee de l'Air versions.

Are they doing any? or is the 'Simple Set' all we are getting?

??

Edited by Smudge

Ok, I have been looking forward to these releases ever since they were first announced. But, I haven't bought one yet. I will get a two seater for sure, but I'm really hanging on for the French Armee de l'Air versions.

Are they doing any? or is the simple set all we are getting?

??

The parts are there to make an F-1CT or CR as well, so I'd expect to see at least three Armee de l'Air boxings (F-1C, CR and CT).

If you've got any Armee de l'Air Mirage F-1 decals I'd go for the simple kit - oops I have!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Cheers Wez.

So you can make a Armee de l'Air F-1C from the Greek/Spanish boxings? just need some decals?

Isn't there something about the intakes on those a/c? are they ok?

Smudge,

There's only one type of intake on the sprues.

I've got the Spanish version, the intakes look like standard intakes and fine for an Armee de l'Air version. I think it's only the South African jets which have the different intake shock cones.

My Spanish one will be built as an Armee de l'Air jet (eventually).

• Like 1

When I get a moment I'll get some plans to see which is what on the kit, you get the IFR probe but as always, you make an excellent point, the C-200 is longer isn't it?

• Like 1

Ok Wez, thanks for that.

I'm sure I can find some decals somewhere.

Ah, Antoine. thanks also for the info. I did note the C-200 tail etc. on the earlier announcement photos, but I was too embarrassed to ask! What are the various things to look out for? and what pitfalls should I avoid when building Armee de l'Air F-1C's?

Ah, Antoine. thanks also for the info. I did note the C-200 tail etc. on the earlier announcement photos, but I was too embarrassed to ask! What are the various things to look out for? and what pitfalls should I avoid when building Armee de l'Air F-1C's?

Get a photo of your subject - Airliners.net, ABPics, Escadrilles.org are good places to look...

http://www.airliners.net/

http://www.abpic.co.uk/

http://www.escadrilles.org/

In theory, the tail with the bullet RWR fairings equate to a C-200 but there are examples of C-200's without.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

When I get a moment I'll get some plans to see which is what on the kit, you get the IFR probe but as always, you make an excellent point, the C-200 is longer isn't it?

Indeed.

How much I can't remember, about the size of the probe's base.

Room was needed for the probe as well as for the plumbing.

What are the various things to look out for? and what pitfalls should I avoid when building Armee de l'Air F-1C's?

Well, as usual, and as Wez said, choose a subject, then look for a picture, check the timeframe and confirm by more pictures.

Indeed.

How much I can't remember, about the size of the probe's base.

Room was needed for the probe as well as for the plumbing.

According to Aerofax 17 by Rene Francillon, there's an additional 8cm on the real machine.

Putting the kits nose sections on the plans in Aviation Workshop Spotlight No.1, the kit's nose comes up on the short side. If the plans are correct then it does not provide for the additional length require for an F-1C-200, CR or CT. I would need more evidence to be definite, but...

...Could I live with it? Probably but it will annoy the hell out of me.

...Would I do anything about it? No, unless somebody brought out a simple to use correction.

...Would I buy the correction? Depends on the cost but probably.

Ways around it? Use the resin radar (e.g. without the radome), by CMK thus disguising the problem or build an F-1C or give it a sound ignoring :thumbsup:

No real need of a corrective resin set.

If you really want to correct it, just cut the nose, add a small slice of styrene of the required thickness, and you're done.

Very wise Antoine! Much cheaper too, why didn't I think of that :banghead:

8cm = 1.1mm. Not big. What is more visible is the difference in panel lines.

Non-extended nose: http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/after_1950/mirage_f1_001/France_05+537.jpg.html

Extended nose (notice the oblique panel line visualizing an added skin): http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/mirage_f-1cr/images/mirage_f-1cr_04_of_49.jpg

• Like 1

Alternatively a resin or plastic replacement will be provided. Certainly looks that way from the pics right at the start of the thread.

Just looked back through the thread, there's alternative fuselages for the F-1B, there's an alternative nose for the F-1AZ but no alternative C based nose other than the half with the IFR probe.

8cm = 1.1mm. Not big. What is more visible is the difference in panel lines.

Non-extended nose: http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/after_1950/mirage_f1_001/France_05+537.jpg.html

Extended nose (notice the oblique panel line visualizing an added skin): http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_colin3/mirage_f-1cr/images/mirage_f-1cr_04_of_49.jpg

You're right it's not much.

Looking at the photos in the two links compared to the kit, SH have managed to squeeze the extra panel line in there, given the breakdown of the parts I'm not really sure where you'd put the extra 1.1mm in.

I have to stress, I've only compared the kit to one set of plans so I'm not prepared to categorically state the kit is too short, the plans could be wrong, as I said back in post #165, I'd need more evidence.

At the moment I'm prepared to give it a sound ignoring.

Edited by Wez

Hello,

I'd like to share some points about the different nose panel lines. It's an extract from the excellent book Mirage F.1 Vol. by Michel Liébert & Sébastian Buck ISBN 2-914017-41-3

Overall length of the F.1C: 15'250mm

Overall length of the F.1C-200 (IFR probe 15'330mm)

Of the french F.1C purchases the following No's are without IFR probe: 1 to 50, 52, 54, 55, 58, 60, 62 to 64, 67 to 85, 87, 90, 100 to 103. From these two (1&11) were modified to F.1C-200 standard. All french CT and CR have IFR probes as they are modified from F.1C-200's.

The F.1B has just a dry IFR probe to train tanker contacts but has no plumbing to actually take fuel.

The foreign Mirage F.1 still puzzle me. I suspect the Greek F.1 are like the french F.1 without IFR probe. The Spanish AF used both as well as Morocco and Iraq ....

Regards,

Martin

Schemes.

Source: http://www.specialhobby.net/2016/04/sh72291-mirage-f1bbe-vybrane-kamuflaze.html

SH72291 Mirage F.1B/BE – livery and decal details

Following camouflage schemes have been chosen for the SH72291 Mirage F.1B/BE kit scheduled for a June release. The decal sheet artwork differs slightly from the one shown here earlier as our French colleagues came up with some useful photographic referemce material.

Mirage%2BF.1B%2Bcamo%2BA.jpg

Mirage%2BF.1B%2Bcamo%2BB.jpg

Mirage%2BF.1B%2Bcamo%2BC.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Hello,

I'd like to share some points about the different nose panel lines. It's an extract from the excellent book Mirage F.1 Vol. by Michel Liébert & Sébastian Buck ISBN 2-914017-41-3

Overall length of the F.1C: 15'250mm

Overall length of the F.1C-200 (IFR probe 15'330mm)

Of the french F.1C purchases the following No's are without IFR probe: 1 to 50, 52, 54, 55, 58, 60, 62 to 64, 67 to 85, 87, 90, 100 to 103. From these two (1&11) were modified to F.1C-200 standard. All french CT and CR have IFR probes as they are modified from F.1C-200's.

The F.1B has just a dry IFR probe to train tanker contacts but has no plumbing to actually take fuel.

The foreign Mirage F.1 still puzzle me. I suspect the Greek F.1 are like the french F.1 without IFR probe. The Spanish AF used both as well as Morocco and Iraq ....

Regards,

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for this information, 100mm or 10cm overall length change.

Regarding conversions of earlier jets to -200 configuration, I've seen a couple of serial numbers given elsewhere, although for the life of me I can't find them right now.

A lot of references categorically state that aircraft up to c/n # are in one configuration and those after are in this configuration. From my research I don't think it's that definitive as I've found examples of earlier aircraft in later configurations, although the earlier aircraft may have been modified to the later configuration it really emphasises the importance of getting hold of a photo of the aircraft you wish to build and then it is only correct for that moment in time.

As for the scheme for the F.1B kit :wub: