1:72 Italeri H-21 Flying Banana

Banana Build - Day 114

Tonight I threaded the cabin wires back through the enlarged hole in the rear bulkhead using this method:

P1050036_zps64418b0c.jpg

It took ages to get them all through but in the end I had this:

P1050037_zpsfe8b435f.jpg

I then appied custom length of heat shrink tubing to each joint:

P1050038_zps023e820b.jpg

I noticed that my spirit burner used to activate the heat shrink tubing was also quite capable on removing some of the heat sensitive enamel insulation off the wires. I think I will try to repair this with some brush appled laquer.

i will have a further think about that so it is goodbye from me for tonight.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 2

Banana Build - Day 114

I noticed that my spirit burner used to activate the heat shrink tubing was also quite capable on removing some of the heat sensitive enamel insulation off the wires. I think I will try to repair this with some brush appled laquer.

i will have a further think about that so it is goodbye from me for tonight.

Nigel, I am worried about what happened to you in your rehab phase. You seem a bit surprised heat sensitive enamel would react, in a bad way, being put close to a flame. That along with your problems squeezing from the correct end of the tube has me concerned. Then your quotes about bathing with Duncan . . . You see why I am worried! Good thing your building skills are still functioning properly.

G-usa, where do I start? The enamel coating on the wires is designed to burn off under the influence of a hot soldering iron. Imagine my consternation when my little burner removed vast tracts of insulating material that I will now have to try to replace with some ineffective homespun alternative.

Your comments on my ability to operate a simple toothpaste tube are of course extremely offensive. I note these things and will extract my revenge at the appropriate time.

As to your thoughts about me bathing with Duncan I think this reflects more your own homoerotic fantasies than any reality on this side of the pond.

Best Regards,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath

Try usng a hair dryer on the heat shrink. That should get around the problem of the insulation burnng off, as the heat shrink will shrink at a lower temperature than the insulation. Trust me, as an electronc engineer, it will work.

Ted

Thanks Ted. I don't have a hair dryer, I do have a hot air gun which would be ideal but unfortunately, like a lot of my tools, it is in storage and not accessible. It is not too bad with the burner if I am careful.

Well... Back at work after 9 weeks and the IT dept have still got their annoying filters on. So any photo uploaded from photobucket appears as question mark. It's going to be a long boring trip without britmodeller and your updates Sir :(

The filters don't even let me on to the AMS :(

Oh no, milktrip that is such a shame. Would it be worth lodging a complaint with your IT dept? I would.

Banana Build - Day 105

Tonight was my curry evening out with Duncan B, it was most enjoyable but of course it means that build progress will be limited.

I am pleased to report that Hannants come up the their usual excellent (but not cheap) standards of service and my fuel bowser and tractor kit arrived yesterday and I was able to collect it from my local post office today. Up close it looks very nice with the main tank component being a solid lump of resin (no room for a battery in there then), some white metal parts and two photo etched frets:

P1050046_zps3e1bd15d.jpg

One thing I did get done was to apply some clear blue and red to the wires in an attempt to replace the lost insulation:

P1050047_zps5414d9f1.jpg

I think several coats will be a good idea for extra security. The last thing I want is a short circuit after the fuselage is closed up.

• Like 1

I carried out an electrical insulation test:

P1050048_zps4679b7ac.jpg

Even just the one coat seemed to give excellent insluation properties.

I appled a second coat for extra security:

P1050049_zps807864da.jpg

Those wierd blobs that have formed will only serve to further enhance the insulation properties.

Bye for now,

Nigel

• Like 3

Hope the clear paint isn't too brittle Nigel. I'm guessing you will have to manipulate the wires to fit back into the fuselage.

When you come to push the wires back in, I'd recommend doing it with the circuit powered so you can see immediately if an open circuit occurs. once all the wires are in place and working, secure the rats nest with CA or epoxy to keep everything static.

• Like 1

That is an excellent point about securing the wires. I will do that, it should eliminate any risk of short outs. The paint does not appear to be too brittle, I might apply another coat when everything is in place though. My experience with bending painted helicopter blades indicates that paint can withstand a surprising amount of strain.

Edited by Nigel Heath

I just spent the last hour catching up on your incedible build and tutorial on how the masters make it happen. Too late for the connector for your helicopter (and the fuel hose is an elegant solustion) but might help for the base connections- Miniatronics makes some amazing miniature electronics components for hobbists, mainly marketed for the model railway folks and the have connectors down to 3mm- here's a link http://www.miniatronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT. Keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Thanks louiex2, I will look into those electronic parts later.

Banana Build - Day 116

I did some minor paint touch ups and applied some matt varnish round the windows and a few other places. Now I could get on with the serious business of seat installation:

P1050050_zps229401e6.jpg

It was a little tricky getting it all round the stretcher wires but it all went remarkably well really. At this point the seats are lose on the hanger rod to give a slip joint. Important things, slip joints:

P1050051_zps19479d76.jpg

After a bit more minor adjustment I finished securing it all with thin superglue like this:

P1050052_zpseb47b7eb.jpg

Then I glued in the other side:

P1050053_zpsbb269b20.jpg

I am leaving the seats lose on the rod for now to give me another slip joint. I should be able to glue them through the forward cabin door when the fuselage halves are together. The can hang in mid-air for now.

Here is a passenger eye view of the seats:

P1050055_zpscb2fd350.jpg

When the glue has set I will give it a coat of matt varnish.

I am quite pleased with those.

• Like 6