1:72 Italeri H-21 Flying Banana

OK Folks I have some photos of the WIP but before I post them I just want to add a wee disclaimer: Mike has allowed me to post these photos providing that we stick to the modelling theme so let's keep all comments just about the modelling please. Nigel will be back in the fullness of time but until then this'll be as good as it gets. I am posting from work so won't be able to add stuff every day as they sometimes expect me to work for my pay and the vessel's connection is the equivalent to good old dial-up but with other restrictions added for security.

Banana build Day 79

There has been some dry fitting of the fuselage halves and this has highlighted the need for some trimming of the interior detail. Some extra ribs have been added above the door and some other fettling in the cabin. No doubt the regular followers will spot the latest work.

image001_zps3728cc8c.jpg

image002_zps051d02af.jpg

image003_zps9b8740b5.jpg

image004_zpsfbbbe88a.jpg

image005_zps1ff1b8e4.jpg

I do think the fuselage might get closed up soon, enjoy.

Duncan B

• Like 1

That looks superb so far, very impressive!

May I ask, would you ever think about doing something similar with the Airfix Belvedere, one day? ;)

Don't mean to give you another future challenge or anything! In the mean time, take your time with this one!

Martin

• Like 1

That looks superb so far, very impressive!

May I ask, would you ever think about doing something similar with the Airfix Belvedere, one day? ;)

Don't mean to give you another future challenge or anything! In the mean time, take your time with this one!

Martin

It would not surprise me at all, did you see his Rotodyne build on here? A similar vintage of kit given this kind of treatment.

Duncan B

Nigel,

I have watched Britmodeler for several months, and your work as described is generating my first entry. I find your techniques and hand made tools of great interest. I have this kit with the Eduard PE sets on the shelf and your build will br most useful.

Jeff

Duncan, if you keep it brief, on the subject of modelling, and pictures of the modelling, we'll be ok with that. Don't go biff though, eh? :shrug:

Sad about what happened; glad to know some allowance is being shown. Mike are you wondering why I quoted you on this? What is biff? Googling reveals various terms from Boulder/Beloit International Film Festival (think highly unlikely); a blow (maybe he deserves to be hit for his transgressions, but why would you hit Duncan); dense (once again why would it apply to Duncan). So, could you please help a poor colonial out?

• Like 1

Sad about what happened; glad to know some allowance is being shown. Mike are you wondering why I quoted you on this? What is biff? Googling reveals various terms from Boulder/Beloit International Film Festival (think highly unlikely); a blow (maybe he deserves to be hit for his transgressions, but why would you hit Duncan); dense (once again why would it apply to Duncan). So, could you please help a poor colonial out?

George, I'm glad you asked as I don't know either but I was scared to ask in case Mike thought I was being flippant. Whatever it means I got the message loud and clear anyway.

Duncan B

During the break, here's an H-21 worth pondering:

4562028360_a1d3c0bd25_z.jpg

Used for range safety, transport and recovery at Fort Churchill, Canada (on Hudson Bay) for sounding rockets, apparently under contract.

And what's all this about "Nigel's unfortunate but self inflicted forced absence for the next month"? Is he all right? Is he undergoing surgery? Has he been drafted? Caught in the flooding? Did he get sick from his own cooking? His many fans deserve to know!

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Like 2

For those who haven't heard Nigel got himself banned for 31 days for posting a link (in an attempt at humour) to a rather graphic (of the Adult nature) site which is most definitely against the rules of BM, hence "self inflicted absence". I don't think I'm overstepping the mark by letting you all know this (take it as a lesson learned exercise)?

Anyhow bare with me I am having a spot of bother with Photobucket at the moment. On logging in from my PC I am immediately directed to the mobile site which I can't upload the photos to. Has anyone else had this problem, I'm a bit concerned that our Company IT Net Admin has maybe put a block on the regular Web based Photobucket?

Duncan B

OK, It's only taken me 2 and 1/2 hrs to get Photobucket to play nicely but here is tonight's update. Only 2 photos as progress was even slower than usual due to other commitments apparently. A longitudinal stringer has been added, I think this is a support for the benches that will follow, it was more problematic that the photos would suggest.

image006_zpsfe56360c.jpg

image007_zps58af0b05.jpg

That's all folks

Duncan B

For those who haven't heard Nigel got himself banned for 31 days for posting a link (in an attempt at humour) to a rather graphic (of the Adult nature) site which is most definitely against the rules of BM, hence "self inflicted absence". I don't think I'm overstepping the mark by letting you all know this (take it as a lesson learned exercise)?

Naughty, naughty! I hope he was sent to bed without supper (of his own cooking!).

• Like 2

Hello folks, Nigel sends his best!

Great progress has been made today, I am just getting all the parts ready for primer application tomorrow

bgpu2s.jpg

I did have a slight accident though. One of the rotor blades must have flipped out of the parts box - I did not notice. Then I must have rollered the castor of my chair over it

308i1ja.jpg

What a ding bat! I don't think it is too big a deal though I should be able to dowel it with some brass rod.

Duncan has some more pictures to deliver before these, it seems Nigel sent 'em to Duncan just after he went to bed, hopefully this won't make too much of confusion...

Oh, and yeah, Nigel mentioned primer above, you saw it well... Hallelujah! :D

• Like 3

Seems like it... For all I/we know, the thing could already be painted now... He sent me those pictures more than 5 hours ago, but I was out so posting them was delayed...

I'm just absolutely shocked at the "quality" of those RCAF roundels. Seriously. I don't even know what to say about those.

You say "Italeri's never, ever done a correct maple leaf", shake your head and walk away. Or you do like I'm doing and replace them. I think that Italeri's artists tend to get maple leaves confused with grape leaves, have too much red with lunch and you're looking at the result.

You say "Italeri's never, ever done a correct maple leaf", shake your head and walk away. Or you do like I'm doing and replace them. I think that Italeri's artists tend to get maple leaves confused with grape leaves, have too much red with lunch and you're looking at the result.

Luckily our Hero (sic) is going to be doing the Japanese version me thinks so we will be saved the vine leaves.

Duncan B

Right then just when you all thought that, a: Nigel's threads were actually better without Nigel and b: they couldn't get any more confusing than they were when Nigel was actually here I am back to prove us all wrong!

Here is the not quite latest update from our banished villain/hero (delete as applicable). I am a "day" out of sync due to working on the night shift but I hope this makes some sort of sense to the followers of the H21 "flying banana" build?

The first photo show's "how far out the angle is on the Eduard Div bars". I have no idea what that means either!

09_zps4fac8907.jpg

"I could cut it and reshape but PE is too thin anyway so I decided that the best way forward is to make new ones out of 0.7mm plasticard. To avoid the dreaded curl I cut them out with a razor saw rather than a knife"

10_zps811816d1.jpg

"Here are both bars being trimmed to size:"

11_zps206f08de.jpg

"Here is the first one being installed, first using liquid poly:"

12_zpsc56eb501.jpg

"I mixed up another batch of Milliput to make some more ducting:"

13_zps1be2a266.jpg

"I let that harden up for about an hour before processing further. It will go where the tool is pointing.

I finished gluing the first div bar with some CA and tape to hold it in place:"

14_zpsfd2f4fde.jpg

"In anticipation of getting some airbrushing done over the weekend I gave my nozzle a soak in cellulose thinners:" (yeah, really? Looking at the state of that bowl I'd say he's trying to block the nozzle)

15_zps3135ece0.jpg

"I got the second div bar installed:" I've still no idea what he is on about!

16_zps85062f78.jpg

"I think I can see some glue bridging a few of the mesh holes, I did try to minimise glue use but it was tricky. No doubt primer will reveal all.

Finally I shaped the new ducting:"

17_zps14359b38.jpg

"that can harden up over night"

So there we have it, a slightly out of phase progress report (had it been a guitar it would have sounded lovely!) This talking toot is obviously contagious! I've got to hand it to the man though, he does do some amazing stuff (hopefully that comment will be long buried before he returns).

Duncan B

• Like 2