1:72 Italeri H-21 Flying Banana

Hi Nigel,

Outstanding, informative and inspiring. Anyway enough 'gushing' (plus I have run out of superlatives).

You mentioned previously that modelling was genetic, this is certainly true for me. Son of a model engineer / model loco builder. Brought up doing 7mm modelling used to using riveting tools. In a previous post you had a detail shot of some half etched parts is this what you used above or have you created the strip yourself. From a young age it was beaten into me that raised half etched rivets on etched locos bad half etch in and form yourself good (or completely form yourself if scratch-building). I have attached an image hopefully - first attempt and all that) of a small strip I just created using a bespoke tool from the 'dark' world of railway modelling. It is based on a tool designed by the great loco builder Stanley Beeson.

RaisedRivets_zps8aa4b7f9.jpg

Sorry for rubbish photo but I hope it illustrates my point of the usefulness of this tool which is a simple anvil and punch press with a depth stop. I have used 0.015" (or 0.38mm) plastikard but the tool is designed for brass/ nickel silver of a similar thickness. I hope you like.

Please keep up the great work

David

• Like 1

albertross, those rivets look really nice. I would like to know how you did those.

For my PE strips I used this set from Extratech:

P1040619_zpsb86756c3.jpg

Very useful and highly recommended for scratch building.

The two fuselage halves and floor assembly are almost complete and ready for some paint:

P1040620_zps51690090.jpg

• Like 2

This'll be where our hero whips out a 6 inch paintbrush and some Artex and completely obliterates all that hard work under a scale foot of gunk. (G-USA, please note use of medieval measuring system for your pleasure).

"Warp factor"!! Gale force 9 more like ......What's Keefr22 been smoking? Wake me up when it's about to happen.

DB

• Like 5

Duncan, your last post was almost totally incoherent. Are you breathing in the engine fumes or something? Maybe you should ask them to move your bed to the upwind side of the boat? Just a helpful suggestion.

Have you checked out "Tell me about Your Stash" recently, you might find it interesting.

I will not get any more actual building done tonight so I thought I would finish on a closer view of the fuselage halves:

P1040621_zps7ccf54c0.jpg

Well it looks all right to me. Tomorrow I am going to an exciting lecture on subsea corrosion so there may be only a little progress.

Bye for now,

Nigel

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 4

Nigel numpty! I would be rude and point out your spelling error in your last post but I'm not rude so I won't! Maybe you need a spell checker, just a suggestion! Also just want to point out that I'm working nightshift so didn't write my last post while anywhere near my bed.

Uncle Joe

There is not much left. I still have to make another one of those insulation wrapped pieces of ducting out of Milliput for the LHS. Then there are the div bars to go under the engine intake mesh, repair and install the mesh area on the LHS and mend the broken ring reinforcement. I can't think of anything else at the moment but there probably is some more.

• Like 1

He knows better what it needs.... :winkgrin:

It seems that even a simple and honest question here gets interpreted as - Nigel, stop it, it's enough... :D Wonder if that should say something to someone... :D Just joking, of course...

There is not much left. I still have to make another one of those insulation wrapped pieces of ducting out of Milliput for the LHS. Then there are the div bars to go under the engine intake mesh, repair and install the mesh area on the LHS and mend the broken ring reinforcement. I can't think of anything else at the moment but there probably is some more.

I just love how "not much" varies from person to person...

Hi Nigel,

Attached is an assembly model I created over a couple of lunch times a number of years ago of the tool that I used.

I have used other simpler tools but the punch and anvil with return spring remain constant.

I will try and complete a rendering of the model or photo of the actual item for better clarity.

T0100101A_zps91030f33.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 2

Are you feeling a bit down due to the flak you are getting in regards to the snail's pace of this build. Perhaps you might remind them of Shark's Huey Medivac build. Wasn't it your country that came up with the phrase "Good things come to those who wait"? (At the very least, it was in an English ad campaign.) So, just waiting for some more good things from you. So far, so good.

• Like 4

Wasn't it your country that came up with the phrase "Good things come to those who wait"? So, just waiting for some more good things from you. So far, so good.

Hi George

I think they might be quite prophetic words from you! Normal(ish) service will resume in 31 days, thanks for tuning in and see you for Series 2 then. Will Claude have boiled Nigel's Bunny? Will he have found his primer? Does our Hero remember how to join 2 fuselage halves together.....all will be revealed in Series 2, "Return of the Adjusted Attitude"!

Duncan B

• Like 2

Folks moaning about the time it takes to superdetail plastic?

NOW I'm glad I didnt start a WIP on my Glacial Progressive Catalina

And my Sherpa one ran and ran (not sure I ever quite finished that one properly)

Nigel, this exceedingly good build (OK not lunch dinner or breakfast, but at least a vague cake input) is running nicely

I'm enjoying it all thanks mate, the detail is excellent :)

b

Edited by perdu
  • Like 1

/Offtop/

Hi, Nigel! How are you?

Yesterday saw on TV that you have in England a large natural disaster - flooding! :(( What is the situation in your area?

Bless you!

Igor.

Are you feeling a bit down due to the flak you are getting in regards to the snail's pace of this build. Perhaps you might remind them of Shark's Huey Medivac build. Wasn't it your country that came up with the phrase "Good things come to those who wait"? (At the very least, it was in an English ad campaign.) So, just waiting for some more good things from you. So far, so good.

I agree; worth waiting for. Besides, snail's pace?? Nigel has been putting up an update a day - often more than one - and they all contain illustrations of high quality, fiddly detailing in a small scale. If anyone wants to see a real snail's pace, check out my 1/48 Barracuda (no visible progress in months) or my 1/350 Ark Royal (around an hour a week, tops).

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Like 2

I know the latest status of the banana build, I might even have pictures but I'm not sure I'm allowed to post them? It might be seen as circumventing Nigel's unfortunate but self inflicted forced absence for the next month. Maybe I can give you all some snippets occasionally to keep you interested without crossing the line and following Nigel into the naughty corner, there isn't room for us both there.

I will give you an update of what I think is happening with the build tonight, it might only be a written update without pictures though. It might not even be true!

Duncan B

• Sad 1

Duncan, if you keep it brief, on the subject of modelling, and pictures of the modelling, we'll be ok with that. Don't go biff though, eh? :shrug:

Thanks Mike, it will be brief, to the point and only photos of the build (if I can sneak them under the vessel's meagre bandwith limits)

Duncan B