Airfix TSR2

stevej60

Hi folks,

Now I am one of those sad folk that buy themselves a Christmas present every year,namely a model kit and always

something I would,nt normally build.This year I fancy Airfix,s tsr2 as my LMS has it at £20(the original/anime version) Is

it a decent build? I have looked at a few reviews but what do you guys think?

• Like 1

Building it wheels up is a major headache, the gear doors just don't fit together and require loads of filler. Building the upper wing and fuselage sections together first before joining to the lower fuselage avoids some issues there, I'm sure there's a thread with some pictures on BM somewhere that covers all the problems with fixes.

It's not a bad kit, made one , budget more than £10 , you will need some milliput too.

Added some resin to mine, the budget could get out of control very quickly , but then it is a TSR-2.

And then I cancel the build,throw away all the pieces, pop down the model shop walk to the counter with an F111,before putting it back and buy

a buccaneer instead!

• Like 7

The kit was a right royal pain in the backside to build when it first came out and I was one of the most vocal critics of the fit of parts. However, shape wise it is right on the money and a quick search through builds on this and other forums seems to indicate that the modelling community has ironed many of the fit issues out. I would now give the kit another go wheras when I first built the thing, I would quite happily have shot the kit's toolmaker. Have a go, at under a tenner there's not much to lose anyway and you could well end up with a fine model of the sexiest aircraft; ever.

Martin

• Like 1

The kit was a right royal pain in the backside to build when it first came out and I was one of the most vocal critics of the fit of parts. However, shape wise it is right on the money and a quick search through builds on this and other forums seems to indicate that the modelling community has ironed many of the fit issues out. I would now give the kit another go wheras when I first built the thing, I would quite happily have shot the kit's toolmaker. Have a go, at under a tenner there's not much to lose anyway and you could well end up with a fine model of the sexiest aircraft; ever.

Martin

Thanks martin,I have now got the kit,and have to say the quality of the moulding is great,I cut the main fuselage parts off the sprues and did a

dry fit of all of them with no warping or any obvious issues so now looking forward to starting the build in a couple of weeks.

Stevej60, if you really want to go to town with this build, CMK has done som very good resin substitution and extra parts for this kit.

Stevej60, if you really want to go to town with this build, CMK has done som very good resin substitution and extra parts for this kit.

Thanks Sten, sadly I have neither the skill or patience for resin or PE,looking further into review and builds of this kit reveals a lot of horror stories

but a dry run on all the parts and all seems fine.I have just started the build so no doubt something will come to light.

I`m just building one at the moment and am at the painting stages. I found the upper wing joint to be bloody awful and it required lots of filling and sanding. Maybe if you trim the wings to fit the fuselage a bit better (ie less tightly,....which sounds odd?) and use plastic `shims' underneath the wing parts to keep everything level then it might not be too bad? Apart from that it needs filler around the rear end to fair in the upper rear fuselage section and also the jet pipe area but it does look impressive when it is all together. Odds and Ordinance did a resin fin for this kit too,

Good luck and I`ll look forward to seeing it finished,..are you going the Whiff route or doing it overall white?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks for the heads up,....wish I`d known about this before I built mine,...but will come in handy as I want to build a 2nd, but construction of the 1st had put me off somewhat!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I`m just building one at the moment and am at the painting stages. I found the upper wing joint to be bloody awful and it required lots of filling and sanding. Maybe if you trim the wings to fit the fuselage a bit better (ie less tightly,....which sounds odd?) and use plastic `shims' underneath the wing parts to keep everything level then it might not be too bad? Apart from that it needs filler around the rear end to fair in the upper rear fuselage section and also the jet pipe area but it does look impressive when it is all together. Odds and Ordinance did a resin fin for this kit too,

Good luck and I`ll look forward to seeing it finished,..are you going the Whiff route or doing it overall white?

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony,going for the all white finish,I saw Cosfords example a couple of years ago.

...but will come in handy as I want to build a 2nd, but construction of the 1st had put me off somewhat!

Cheers

Tony

You & me both Tony!! I started 2 but, they gave so much grief that I only finished one. The other remained unfinished,unloved and unwanted in a cupboard for 2 years before I finally broke it up for parts!!

Allan