Spitfire Mk.Vc, 103 M.U at Aboukir. ..

Artie

On 3/8/2020 at 9:32 AM, MACALAIN said:

Not possible to see pictures, snif, snif

Have any of the said photos now been posted elsewhere on this thread?

I ask this because the original posting was 2013

• Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 12:30 PM, Magpie22 said:

Thanks for the pictures, they matched what I had on BR114 and BS124, but I have come across an additional image that I believe also is of BR114.

The image of course incorrectly identify BR114 as a Hurricane, but what I find of interest is the spit in the background marked "C". This must be one of the other HF VI?

/Finn

a3b8d28d-8219-4177-8ff6-ab3d8d9e806e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Just as interesting is the non-standard cannon barrel mount.

in the image "6 Sq Hurricane" ?  It's 0.50 cal MG, as described on page 1, not a cannon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Thanks for the pictures, they matched what I had on BR114 and BS124, but I have come across an additional image that I believe also is of BR114.

The image of course incorrectly identify BR114 as a Hurricane, but what I find of interest is the spit in the background marked "C". This must be one of the other HF VI?

/Finn

a3b8d28d-8219-4177-8ff6-ab3d8d9e806e.jpg

What a fascinating photo.

The enlarged oil tank (the reason for which, within this thread, is a matter of debate) is more clearly visible here than elsewhere.

Even more 'exciting' are two (very non standard) small pipes from the exhausts, presumably providing heating in the cockpit.

Interestingly the surface finish\cleanliness is not of the high standard referred to elsewhere.

'C' in the background with a radio mast is clearly a 'marker' and I'll guess a Vl

Moving 'ahead' I can't wait for Aifix to show us, Beaufort style, the sprues of their forthcoming Vc.  While I can't realisticly expect them to provide parts for the striker, I do hope they provide an Aboukier filter.  Hard to source other than via the Italaeri kit and/or the oop Airwaves resin item.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Denford said:

While I can't realisticly expect them to provide parts for the striker, I do hope they provide an Aboukier filter.  Hard to source other than via the Italaeri kit and/or the oop Airwaves resin item.

In 1/48, the SpecialHobby Mk.Vc overseas boxing has a resin Aboukir. 
But yes, amazing that there aren't more ways to get those AM parts..

1 hour ago, Denford said:

...I do hope they provide an Aboukier filter.  Hard to source other than via the Italaeri kit and/or the oop Airwaves resin item.

Beware: I have identified at least 3 different shapes that the Abukir filter had. I do hope that someone will research this and make drawings awailable.

/Finn

15 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

Beware: I have identified at least 3 different shapes

Not to mention spellings!  In 48th it seems that there are some other possible sources.  Didn't some Hasegawa (or was it Tamiya?) Vbs have it?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

Not to mention spellings!  In 48th it seems that there are some other possible sources.  Didn't some Hasegawa (or was it Tamiya?) Vbs have it?

In 1/72 it's in the Tamiya Vb in an angular form. My guess is that this (if its accurate) is the early version; later version became more rounded and presumably streamlined. When combined with the 30 gallon slipper tank, you realise that the shape is rather complex, much more so than the Vokes and getting the right sit is difficult.

0a11200a-c649-46ba-947a-147fdf74835b.JPG

As I said earlier, I hope that someone could come up with some drawings and cross sections to help get the right form and placement on the aircraft. 

Edited by FinnAndersen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall seeing a modeling article that had comparison drawings of the three variations of the Aboukir filter fitted to Spitfires by No, 103 MU, but for the life of me, I can't recall the article; I thought I had saved it, but can't seem to locate it right now- will re-post if I can find the site or the article.

Mike

• Like 1

Was just looking in some spitfires boxes to find more to paint interior green as the airbrush is ready for this and came across the Pavla  "Spitfire PR MkIA, PRMk IV and PR Mk VII - part 2" set.

This set has the Abukir rounded filter as opposed to Tamiya's Vb which is more angular.

HTH 

Finn 

Another kit that included an Aboukir filter is the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vc/Seafire III kit,  though they are some of the new parts in this kit, which is their old tool Vb kit with new parts. 

Unfortunately the new bits are quite crude, and some of them are useless (4 blade prop and exhaust stubs)  and the new C wing requires serious refining to be usable, and the new wing is engraved and the fuselage has mostly fine raised panel lines. 

But I'd forgotten they even included decals for one of these planes

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/brodiespitpreview.htm

(3)       Vc of the Special Duties Flight, 103 Maintenance Unit, RAF, Aboukir, Egypt, September 1942. This represents one of the aircraft  modified by 103 MU into a high flying interceptor to counter the high flying Ju 86P recce aircraft which were up to then flying over the Nile Delta and Suez Canal with impunity. This aircraft has locally fabricated extended wing tips, 2 x 0.5” mg armament and a four-blade prop.

for sprues see here

http://www.kitreview.com/reviews/spitfirevcreviewrb_1.htm

Aboukir filter is lower right

spitfirevcreviewbg_4.jpg

I've not got the kit to hand,  and not recommended as a kit these days,  but the filter and decals maybe floating about in spares boxes which maybe worth knowing about.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Paul Lucas has covered the camouflage of these Mk.Vc in the latest issue (February 2021) of Scale Aircraft Modelling, in the first of a number of articles to be devoted to RAF High Altitude Fighter schemes.  he suggest the B pattern with RAF desert colours and possibly Light Mediterranean Blue undersides, with light grey filler patches.

• Like 1

Thanks @Graham Boak for the heads up.  I'm in the middle of completing a pair of the 1944 NMF Mk IXs and have spent the last month reading up on the various special high altitude flights.  I was going to attempt to summarise what I found on this forum but I won't do anything until I've read Paul's article.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Paul Lucas has covered the camouflage of these Mk.Vc in the latest issue (February 2021) of Scale Aircraft Modelling, in the first of a number of articles to be devoted to RAF High Altitude Fighter schemes.  he suggest the B pattern with RAF desert colours and possibly Light Mediterranean Blue undersides, with light grey filler patches.

Was curious enough to obtain the SAM magazine and it appears that Mr. Lucas missed the silver forward part of the oil cooler, but has the Abukir filter as the (later) rounded design.

Of course I have just finished my BR114 and my BS124 of last year was done in ordinary desert colours.

Still, it was two Spitfires very much off the beaten track and they sit proudly in my display cabinet.

/Finn 

• Like 3