Korean War Group Build

Have finally dug it out...it's six and a half inches long! Now don't get personal :fight:

• Like 1

It ain't the size of the carrier, but the power of the strike package?

LOL! And talking of the strike package...the CAG; I seem to be having trouble sourcing the little blighters at the moment. Cap Aero seem to do both Firefly and Sea Fury in that scale, but I'm trying to find a retailer...I might have to scratch them instead!!! :analintruder:

Edited by Nobby57

Less than a month to go! :frantic:

Sean

I'd better get shopping. I still haven't decided what I'm gonna build but I've narrowed it down to, all in 1/72; Eduard Mig-15, Hobby Boss Panther F3 or Special Hobby Sea Fury. I'm angling towards the Sea Fury I think.

Ooh, less than a month to clear the bench and get started, was thinking of butchering converting the Tamiya Skyraider to an AD4 but then there's also an Airfix Seafire 47 that can be built all tooled up if I can find a source of RATOG bottles. Let's see if I can make a concentrated effort to finish some other stuff first.

Have cleaned up the metal on the Colossus Class (is that cheating) but won't build proper until the start date. It's missing the deck crane so that's going to be fun. As to other models I suspect I'll still be doing my Sea Hawk at the same time...I'm just putting too much damned effort into her...I'm nearly a nervous wreck already!!!

Have cleaned up the metal on the Colossus Class (is that cheating) but won't build proper until the start date. It's missing the deck crane so that's going to be fun. As to other models I suspect I'll still be doing my Sea Hawk at the same time...I'm just putting too much damned effort into her...I'm nearly a nervous wreck already!!!

You should be fine with that, as long as it's under the 25% rule. Just don't do anymore just in case. ;)

Sean

• Like 1

Cheers Sean...I'll remember for future GB's.

Well I'm counting down the days till we kick off on this build. I'll be doing an RAAF 77 Squadron P-51D and I've got all bits and pieces I need to get rolling, so bring on the start date.

14_zpsb3627b66.jpg

• Like 3

I'm planning on using the Aussie Decals set P-51 Mustangs Post WWII which has the marking I need. Ahh yes the spinner, that is something I'm still trying to figure out actually, I've read a lot of methods but I confess I've never done it before so it should be interesting.

A68-809 which is the bird that I'm doing is actually an ex-USAF P-51D so it has the standard cuffed propeller and not the un-cuffed one fitted to most of the P-51Ks supplied to the RAAF.

Cheers

Most of the pictures of SAAF F-51s in Korea also seem to have the cuffed prop, interestingly enough. Looks like for the RAAF, at least A68-755 also had a cuffed prop (I think it's A68-755: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/F-51Ds_77_Sqn_RAAF_at_Iwakuni_c1950.jpg).

I was really hoping you knew a surefire way to do the spinner, because I was thinking of doing a 77 Squadron Mustang myself, and I'm totally at sea about it.

• Like 1

I was really hoping you knew a surefire way to do the spinner, because I was thinking of doing a 77 Squadron Mustang myself, and I'm totally at sea about it.

My way isn't "surefire" but it does work. Paint the tip of the spinner. Roll some paper into a tube and adjust the diameter so that it matches the forward demarcation line. Coat the inside of the tube with a thin layer of copydex or similar and position it on he spiner. The copydex will seal the edge of the mask and hold the tube in place. Paint the nex colour. If you are spraying use light coats directed away from the mask edge so that the paint does not pool and creep under the mask. If brush painting, drybrush the paint again away from the edge. Repeat the process for each successive edge.

It's not quick and it's not simple, but it does work if you have patience.

• Like 1

Most of the pictures of SAAF F-51s in Korea also seem to have the cuffed prop, interestingly enough. Looks like for the RAAF, at least A68-755 also had a cuffed prop (I think it's A68-755: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/F-51Ds_77_Sqn_RAAF_at_Iwakuni_c1950.jpg).

I've seen that photo before and I agree that looks like a cuffed prop and given it's an ex US P-51D chances are very good. Have a look at ADF Serials it's a great site with some outstanding information about every aircraft that has flown with the RAAF and includes quite a few photos.

The method I'd planned to "try out" when doing the spinner is to paint it white (the middle stripe), mark the position of the colour boundaries with a circle template and pencil, then mask with some 2mm tape that I have mask away and keep my fingers crossed :shutup:

Alex welcome on board, I think this is going to be a great Group Build.

• Like 1

Mind if I join in chums?I've this poor dilapidated specimen to rework.

Welcome along. It looks pretty much back to basics in your pictures so I'm sure it can go ahead. :)

Sean

Thanks Sean,I've a Hobbycraft Sea Fury too which might just drop in somewhere but I'll work up the Seafire first.

No problem Alex. I can see a mini FAA group build appearing within the main group build! :bangin:

Sean

• Like 3

I wanted to get an AZ Auster V and do the RAF's presence in Korea, but they're surprisingly dear. I do plan on doing an all-Commonwealth, all the time contribution. Wish I knew for certain what JE-J flew when he was in Korea.