Less than a Tenner Group Build

If you can build many kits in that time then great. Quantity Vs Quality.

oh, my quality is pretty good I reckon. I know I've only one on show on this forum but I'm on another forum and have a 'portfolio' thread there.

Its just I have plenty of time to myself for modelling.

Sez 'oo???

sez meee!

A good way to get more time to modeling is to get the Mrs interested in building kits. My wife when we meet each other, thought it was a waste of time. I challenged her to build a kit for her self betting she would like to build something too. I gave her an Model railroad building and she was hooked. The best money I have ever given out :evil_laugh::coolio:

Edited by hgbn
  • Like 1

I really wish I could pick up the new Revell B-17 for a tenner, really fancy one of them. Have been looking on King-kit for some inspiration.

Can't help on the banner I'm afraid either..

Keep looking on the bay and you might get lucky. They do look a nice kit.

oh, my quality is pretty good I reckon. I know I've only one on show on this forum but I'm on another forum and have a 'portfolio' thread there.

Its just I have plenty of time to myself for modelling.

Sorry, not having a dig. I still find it hard to comprehend how people build so fast.

Wish I had more time. :waiting: Too many kits - Not enough time...

Would this be a waterline dio???

Probably not. I normally make aircraft so ships are out of my comfort zone. The sea would be stretching it a bit - and i would have to do it for 2p!

You don't have to compromise with the quality even though you build fast. A lot is planning and build in batches

That's what I tend to do, especially when it comes to painting. I built these in a week, got them built, primed them all in one go, then painted them together. With the 2 Junkers sharing some main colours as well as the Ju 87 and Il-2 it helps to speed up the process and with them all ready weathering at the same time I can just sit down and do them one after another. Same with decals, final coats etc. I work off a folding table and have to get my compressor and painting equipment out every time I want to do something and pack it away afterwards. I've had to learn to batch paint as a simple 2 minute job ends up taking an age with all the messing about.

2013-12-19201203_zps89a7574a.jpg

• Like 2

I rarely build one kit at the same time, it always seems to end as a batch build somehow, either multiple of the same kit or in the same genre. I'm nuts about variation of the same theme.

Edited by hgbn

I rarely build one kit at the same time, it always seems to end as a batch build somehow, either multiple of the same kit or in the same genre. I'm nuts about variation of the same theme.

Now I really wanna see that! :popcorn:

One of them is an "H" class but the kits are identical. HMS Icarus, HMS Intrepid and HMS Ithuriel were involved in Pedestal. Icarus was also involved in the hunt for the Bismark and survived the war. Ithuriel and Intrepid were sunk by bombing later in the war.

I have approximately 115 kits in my stash which cost me less than a tenner: from the 1/72 Academy Storch and Italeri AH-64D for 99p to the Matchbox 1/32 Tiger Moth for 9.99 (yes, seriously!). There are 1/144 and 1/72 planes, 1/24 and 1/32 cars, 1/12 motorbikes and a few bits of small armour scattered through there too. Decisions, decisions.

Does anyone have the skills and the time to make us a GB banner???

I am lacking in the skills unfortunately.

No idea what the banner could be other that a ten pound note which seems a bit boring really.

Any ideas???

Well ... played around a bit and tried to keep it as general as possible:

less10_zpsb9682b7b.jpg

Sugestions welcome... Can also certainly be something completely different...

Rene

• Like 2

Sorry, not having a dig. I still find it hard to comprehend how people build so fast.

Wish I had more time. :waiting: Too many kits - Not enough time...

Clear the air time;

I did think of it as a wee dig, but

1) I'm thick......er,.... skinned, so it didnt hurt

2) your statement was mitigated by you dont know me nor what I can turn out.

Whilst not building to competition winning standards my stuff is not too bad.

I think I did a fair job on this;

th_Build23s_zpsf0d8deb2.jpg

These two were each knocked up inside 24 hours; [start to finish, not accumulative]

th_WW1Ambulance01s_zps8f6fa7d6.jpg th_Wildcat11s_zps45daaa68.jpg

How do I have the time? Forcibly housebound due to disability; modelling helps put the time in.

Dont apologise.

Getting the right models and getting organised, one can build many at a time. I see it as a fun challenge, and a way to get my stash down a bit to see how many I [we?] can build in the time slot.

F.

Clear the air time;

I did think of it as a wee dig, but

1) I'm thick......er,.... skinned, so it didnt hurt

2) your statement was mitigated by you dont know me nor what I can turn out.

Whilst not building to competition winning standards my stuff is not too bad.

I think I did a fair job on this;

th_Build23s_zpsf0d8deb2.jpg

These two were each knocked up inside 24 hours; [start to finish, not accumulative]

th_WW1Ambulance01s_zps8f6fa7d6.jpg th_Wildcat11s_zps45daaa68.jpg

How do I have the time? Forcibly housebound due to disability; modelling helps put the time in.

Dont apologise.

Getting the right models and getting organised, one can build many at a time. I see it as a fun challenge, and a way to get my stash down a bit to see how many I [we?] can build in the time slot.

F.

It was just a passing comment that wasn't aimed directly. More of a general comment about building quickly that I know isn't the case as I know people who can build super fast and to great standards. I have / had never seen any of your work so making a loose comment was out of line. My brain and mouth are not always connected...

It is unfortunate about your disability and I hope that modelling is a way of passing the time and making your world a nicer place.

Air clear.

Right back to the important stuff...

Those builds are looking good. I really like the old skool car. Is it a model T???

Edited by snapper_city

Its a Ford T WW1 Ambulance in 1/72 by RPM [a Polish company I think] . Its about 1/2 the size of the K2 Katy in the Airfix Rescue set, but it has about 40 parts. I added the spare wheel.

Despite so many fiddly parts, most handled with tweezers, it went together very quickly.

I must organise about 20 kits from which to choose a few for this GB. It wont be long coming up.

Its a Ford T WW1 Ambulance in 1/72 by RPM [a Polish company I think] . Its about 1/2 the size of the K2 Katy in the Airfix Rescue set, but it has about 40 parts. I added the spare wheel.

Despite so many fiddly parts, most handled with tweezers, it went together very quickly.

I must organise about 20 kits from which to choose a few for this GB. It wont be long coming up.

Cool. I think me old mate Badger picked one up a few months back at our club night for the price of a drink. Sweet looking kit.

Looking forward to seeing the contenders...

Thinking out loud;

What slows me is paint drying. I prefer enamels for most of my painting, although I do use acrylics too.

If I start 3 kits on days, 1, 2, 3 and 4 thats 12 kits on the go.

Initial painting of small parts, cockpit, wheels etcetera, minor assembly on each first day.

By day 4 paint on kits of day 1 will be dry, so some building on them, and day 2 = day 5, day 3 = day 6, day 4 = day 7.

Assembly work done on kits of day 1 done on day 4 should be good and dry by day 6, final assembly and maybe first coats of main paint.

This paint ready for final coats on day 8.

Decals put on on day 9,

Final varnish say on day 10

So:

kits ABC started on day 1 finished day 10

kits DEF started day 2 finished day 11

kits GHI started day 3 finished day 12

kits JKL started day 4 finished day 13

add two days to each finishing time for; breaks, or lack of mojo, slow drying paint, out of paint, fighting the carpet monster for parts

its still 12 kits built in 15 days.

Now if one was to keep that pace [unlikely, unless one is really mad :mental: ] that would be 24 per month, or about 96 in the time of this GB. Thats if one starts the sequence fresh after every 15 days, its much more if one kept starting three kits every day and had a continuous sequence. [anyone want to work it out?]

Crazy idea isnt it? even I'm not stooopid enough to try it.

Naw, I'll do a few, as many as I can.

• Like 2

That's what I tend to do, especially when it comes to painting. I built these in a week, got them built, primed them all in one go, then painted them together. With the 2 Junkers sharing some main colours as well as the Ju 87 and Il-2 it helps to speed up the process and with them all ready weathering at the same time I can just sit down and do them one after another. Same with decals, final coats etc. I work off a folding table and have to get my compressor and painting equipment out every time I want to do something and pack it away afterwards. I've had to learn to batch paint as a simple 2 minute job ends up taking an age with all the messing about.

2013-12-19201203_zps89a7574a.jpg

Those are nice. I built one of those, ummmm, tracky things too.[cant remember what its called :shrug: ] I did mine in the multicoloured scheme. I don't usually do tracky things but that one caught my eye in the LMS

Cool. I think me old mate Badger picked one up a few months back at our club night for the price of a drink. Sweet looking kit.

Looking forward to seeing the contenders...

Hello all,

I heard my name mentioned. I did indeed pick up a 1/72 model t but it was the machine gun carrier (its getting built for the ww1 group build).

Massively impressed you managed to build the ambulance inside 24hrs. I have one I the stash with an etch set and every time I get it out it scares me so much I put it back!!!!!

Ben

Hello all,

I heard my name mentioned. I did indeed pick up a 1/72 model t but it was the machine gun carrier (its getting built for the ww1 group build).

Massively impressed you managed to build the ambulance inside 24hrs. I have one I the stash with an etch set and every time I get it out it scares me so much I put it back!!!!!

Ben

Here he is... So Ben what are you entering into this GB???

Black Knight I really liked your calculation. It's not impossible If one was totally motivated with enough space to store and display all those finished models. Even if you say that one kit finished in a week averaged. Then you would still finish 16 models in those 4 months. But in the end it really doesn't matter how many kits you can build in a given time frame. The most important part is enjoying the building process.

Here he is... So Ben what are you entering into this GB???

Aha - its a secret!!!

No, not really. I'm going with a 1/72 Armo resin Alkett Minenraumpanzer (sorry - typing this on my phone so cant add a photo).

Picked it up from telford some years ago for the modest sum of £8 and it's been languishing in the stash ever since.

Did toy with the idea of a retro matchbox 1/76 build but they're all past 25% complete.

Ben