Less than a Tenner Group Build

Thanks Mish

Right guys. We have a date. Shame it isn't later in the year to give us more shows to rummage through those bargain bins but never mind. Get out there and find those bargains. Happy hunting.

Basic Rules:

• Kit must cost no more than £10. (or foreign equivalent)
  • Kits bought many years ago for less than the upper price limit are included but no mickey taking. It is a trust issue that if you say you bought it for 'x' amount then we have to take your word for it. I don't want to see any Tamiya 1:32 beasties in the build if you get my drift.
  • Any Scale or Genre
  • No After Market parts (The only exception will be decals but preferably kit options.)
  • Scratch building is always good to see
  • Spares box allowed (This must constitute less than 20% of the build)

We also need a banner if anyone is handy at making them...

Edited by snapper_city
  • Like 1

Thanks Mish

Right guys. We have a date. Shame it isn't later in the year to give us more shows to rummage through those bargain bins but never mind. Get out there and find those bargains. Happy hunting.

Shall we throw some rules together.... quite easy they will be too! :lol:

I may take an opportunity to build some of my more eccentric stuff that I've picked up cheap on (mainly) eBay...

1/48

Testors Travel Air Mystery Ship

Testors Howard "Ike"

Testors Gee Bee R.1

Hobbycraft P-59A

Revell F-105F and G

Academy Piper PA-18

• Like 1

Got my kit sorted already - the ye olde Airfix MRCA in 1/72. Might start a bit later though due to the overlap with the Training Types Group Build. Hope this is okay.

Cheers,

Tom.

What is the spirit of this GB? Is it intended to have us searching in The Stash for the more inexpensive kits and also maybe search in charity shops?

The modern Airfix releases are under a tenner. Would they be eligible as well?

I share Enzo's doubts: is the GB meant to make modellers rejoice in building cheaper (and likely simpler) kits ? Or is it a way to show what kind of bargains can be had hunting around ?

To put it simply: should the £10 limit be on the RRP (or today's predicted RRP in case of older kits) or on how much we actually paid ?

Me, I'm fine either way, I can see a lot of interest in both approaches

Now I remember what I had in spare for this build; an 1:72 Unda Sukhoi Su-9B. My wife´s late uncle had bought it for less than 40 FIM (about 7€) back in late nineties. I inherited it so it´s a kind of a "twice-under-tenner"! I have the price and date of purchase written inside the box (his usual practise) so when this build kicks off I´ll share a pic. Should be nice to build it along the MiG-21 as the group builds start at the same date. The Revell Mig-21F painting instruction will be very handy to follow too, as the Unda is... well there isn´t one!

Regards, V-P

I may take an opportunity to build some of my more eccentric stuff that I've picked up cheap on (mainly) eBay...

1/48

Testors Travel Air Mystery Ship

Testors Howard "Ike"

Testors Gee Bee R.1

Hobbycraft P-59A

Revell F-105F and G

Academy Piper PA-18

Andy - I like the sound of the first 4. Some very unusual stuff in there. The first 2 I have not heard of until now and I don't think I have ever seen a P-59 modelled before.

Got my kit sorted already - the ye olde Airfix MRCA in 1/72. Might start a bit later though due to the overlap with the Training Types Group Build. Hope this is okay.

Cheers,

Tom.

Cool choice. When you start the build is up to you if you think you can finish it in that time.

What is the spirit of this GB? Is it intended to have us searching in The Stash for the more inexpensive kits and also maybe search in charity shops?

The modern Airfix releases are under a tenner. Would they be eligible as well?

The spirit of the GB is just to build simple kits while trying to avoid getting bogged down in AM and other issues that can stall a build from time to time. The price limit is to draw some sort of line in the sand to try and keep things on a level. This is the price the builder paid for the kit whether it was bought in 1979 or today. It is a chance for people to show their modelling skills without throwing the kitchen sink at it and try keep things OOB. I understand if people want to enter a kit they bought years ago or on the cheap somewhere which is above the price limit at today's prices, this is all good and the builders choice. There is a bit of flexibility and a sort of trust to what people enter. Someone trying to enter say a 1:32 Tamiya P-51 that they claim to have bought of a blind guy will be looked upon to be taking the mickey.

I share Enzo's doubts: is the GB meant to make modellers rejoice in building cheaper (and likely simpler) kits ? Or is it a way to show what kind of bargains can be had hunting around ?

To put it simply: should the £10 limit be on the RRP (or today's predicted RRP in case of older kits) or on how much we actually paid ?

Me, I'm fine either way, I can see a lot of interest in both approaches

It isn't about the who can find the best bargain as that is more of a personal quest I feel as we all love a bargain and the thrill of the hunt that comes with it. Currently I have a few options in the stash but they all follow my current build themes. AFV and A/C. I am trying to get a bit out of my comfort zone while also not frightening myself half to death with a build subject that I have no experience in. This is not a rule that people have to follow but a personal choice I have made though I can see me entering something more familiar also. Maybe my Tamiya 1:35 Kettenkraftrad that I picked up for £4 from my local club.

• Like 2

Out of my stash of 105 kits, 76 were less than a tenner! The joys of 1/144 & 1/200 :lol:

The joys of working in smaller scales I guess that more subjects are at your disposal. I'm not sure my eyesight can keep squinting for the three months though..

Now I remember what I had in spare for this build; an 1:72 Unda Sukhoi Su-9B. My wife´s late uncle had bought it for less than 40 FIM (about 7€) back in late nineties. I inherited it so it´s a kind of a "twice-under-tenner"! I have the price and date of purchase written inside the box (his usual practise) so when this build kicks off I´ll share a pic. Should be nice to build it along the MiG-21 as the group builds start at the same date. The Revell Mig-21F painting instruction will be very handy to follow too, as the Unda is... well there isn´t one!

Regards, V-P

Nice choice. :thumbsup2:

I brought an academy benetton b195 from cash converters for a fiver, would that be within the rules

Most defiantly. It would be nice to see as many differing subject types as possible. Scalemates.com puts the scale at 1:20. Is this correct? I didn't know anyone made kits in this scale.

Thanks for the explanation of the spirit of the GB Mark ! In this case, I'll restrict the choice to kits that can fit whith the idea. The large multimedia kit for example might have costed less than a tenner but now IMHO is not the right one. Better get something more in line with the idea of simplicity and no hassle build. There's plenty in the stash anyway !

• Like 2

Hello guys, do you have room on-board for a castaway from the 'shipwrecked' Vacforms GB?

I would like to be 'in' with a Vacform 1/72 aircraft, as yet to be decided, but Rareplane's Supermarine 224 is a front runner (£3.00, thank you Pat at Collectakit!), or maybe the Rareplane Republic AT-12 Guardsman (£4.00, cheers Pat).

Hello guys, do you have room on-board for a castaway from the 'shipwrecked' Vacforms GB?

I would like to be 'in' with a Vacform 1/72 aircraft, as yet to be decided, but Rareplane's Supermarine 224 is a front runner (£3.00, thank you Pat at Collectakit!), or maybe the Rareplane Republic AT-12 Guardsman (£4.00, cheers Pat).

Always have room so welcome aboard, and as Snapper City stated above, it's great to see any kits in this GB so don't feel like it has to be an Aircraft. ;)

Hi Mark,

Didn't realise you were hosting this.

Can I sign up please?

Not sure what yet but will be some kind of 1/72 armour, maybe a matchbox kit even for a retro build.

Kind regards

Ben