Training Types Group Build

Crikey! Better get deciding on rules etc!!!

Meanwhile as a reminder, here are those who have signed up. Any others who have or will sign up between now and the start date will be added in due course:

1. Mozzy19
2. Rob Stuart
3. paganpete

4. depressed lemur
5. bootneck
6. Gregg136
7. Wez
8. alex
9. SARowl
10. Dazzio
11. Old Man
12. Enzo Matrix (co-host volunteer!)
13. pte 1643
14. chrisrope
15. JOCKNEY
16. Filler
17. PaulR
18. rich2010
19. noeyedears
20. Busdriver
21. Cheshiretaurus(?)
22.PLC1966
23. Codfather
24. SleeperService
25. Steven
26. Stevehed

27. Rodders 154
28. Silver Fox
29. Wellzy
30. vppelt68
31. Tomjw
32. stevej60
33. wkennerly
34. wyvernS4
35. col.
36. Atom.uk
37. dazdot
38. Maltadefender
39. Mish
40. Julien
41. bobster
42. hgbn
43. bonhoff
44. AndyC
45. AdrianMF
46. English Electric
47. Foxbat
48. the pureness
49. Alex Gordon
50. CliffB
51. Moggy
52. supercuber
53. procopious
54. carlstavros

55. Lex77

56. galgos

57. JohnD

58. goggsy
......and me!

Draft rules, updated 16 Dec to resolve some issues raised by the BM Massive. Changes are in italics.

Aircraft

Any aircraft which was designed specifically for the training role. A proviso is that it must be depicted actually in that training role. So a T-28 in COIN fit would not be eligible but one in orange and white would. An Avro Anson in Coastal Command patrol colours would not eligible but the same aircraft in a Training Command scheme would.

Any aircraft which is a training version of a combat type. It must be designated as a trainer (e.g. TA-4J, Harrier T.4) and wherever possible also be depicted as serving with a training unit or conversion unit. It is understood that some air forces do not have the resources for dedicated conversion units. In the cases where conversion training is carried out on a squadron, then squadron markings are acceptable.

As an example RAF Harrier T-birds on the OCU would be eligible,RAFHarrier T-birds on a squadron would not. RDAF Draken T-birds are acceptable in squadron markings as there is no dedicated conversion unit.

Target tugs, training drones and drone controllers are eligible.

In addition anything that is featured in both volumes of RAF Trainers by Neil Robinson can be included.

Combat types serving with training units are not eligible. For instance, Tornado GR.1T, Spitfire Vbs with stripy cowlings.

Vehicles

Most vehicles can be used for training without any modification. It won't therefore be suitable simply to slap an L-plate on the vehicle. However, a car painted in Driving School colours would certainly be eligible. A number of AFVs were only ever used in the training role.

Ships

Many ships are used for training after they have been withdrawn from front-line service. A ship must be depicted in its training role with any modifications which are necessary to accommodate that role.

The usual GB rules also apply:

1. No more than 25% completed at the start of the GB. If you have any concerns about this, please contact the hosts.

2. Have fun! :D

Edited by Enzo Matrix

Hi ya. I'd like to build a Roleur please (translated as Roller), if OK with the mods.

Roleurs were invented by the French in WW1 (I think), as a means of providing solo trainee pilots with experience of engine management (ignition timing etc.) and taxiing, without the risk of inadvertently taking off. They were usually made by chopping some (or all), of the wings off obsolete or damaged combat aircraft, thereby rendering them flightless. Pilots affectionately referred to them as Grasshoppers or Penguins. Here's an example:

Morane_rouleur_Issoudun_Field_1_1918.jpg

The one I have in mind is for my Chaco War collection.

In the 1920's, Paraguay acquired two Italian SAML two-seat reconnaissance biplanes, which participated in their civil war. By the start of Chaco hostilities with Bolivia in 1928, the two SAMLs were on their last legs and one was converted to a 'Pinguino'. In this case both wings were completely removed, leaving the cooling radiator and fuel tank (which had mounted off the upper wing), precariously balanced above the exposed in-line engine. I've got a Joystick vacform kit ready to go, complete with a beautiful white metal engine, which should make a great model.

Hopefully you'll agree that, in Pinguino form at least, the SAML qualifies as a training type :pray: !

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 1

Well, seeing as I wasn't allowed to do my Mirage IIIC belonging to the then Armee de l'Air Mirage OCU (ECT02/002) :bleh: , I've decided upon Swords neat little T-33 Shooting Star in the markings shown in this link to Airliners.Net http://www.airliners.net/photo/Spain---Air/Lockheed-T-33A/1334452/L/&sid=f4eb4f2f876b6cf0e7ad65d6321da2fd I'm not sure how representative this colour scheme is,most in-service seem to have been overall silver rather than having the blue undersides shown, a question for our Spanish correspondents.

Markings will be from Xtradecals http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72122 - no pesky dayglo in this scheme :clap2:

I'll do the obligatory sprue, decals, reference shot nearer the time.

Wez

• Like 1

I would like to do a Hunter T.7 in the red/white/grey scheme. Trouble is the decals I have are for a machine with 16 squadron in 1981 rather than an actual training unit. 16 squadron at the time was operating the Blackburn Buccaneer S.2B so I assume the Hunter T.7 was on the squadron for training purposes. Is this eligible for the GB?

Andrew

I would like to do a Hunter T.7 in the red/white/grey scheme. Trouble is the decals I have are for a machine with 16 squadron in 1981 rather than an actual training unit. 16 squadron at the time was operating the Canberra B(1).8 so I assume the Hunter T.7 was on the squadron for training purposes. Is this eligible for the GB?

It's a trainer version. It's in training colours. Okay... it's on a squadron but it's not the normal combat equipment of that squadron. I'd say it's in :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Ok entered 3 GB's over 3 years only completed 1 (with 2 models, my first GB ) failed abysmally since due to 'life' pressures , currently have a very ill father & sorting my parents out plus education job and my actual home life has = 2 completed 1/76 scale tank models this year.

However Training types have always interested me so as modelling rescues my sanity (give or take carpet monsters, horrid varnishes, fiddly decals!) I am going to make a proper attempt at this one!

The Airfix Vampire T11 will be my choice along side either the aged and er..... 'basic' SMER 1/40th Fokker s11 'Instructor' or Novo Magister

• Like 1

Anyone know when's the new Airfix Tiger Moth is due out.........?

Pete

Not soon enough!

I did hear January - I hope to able to do one as well as the T-33.

Wez

Edited by Wez

Hi,

I know I'm pretty safe with a Zilin Z-142 but I'm unsure about 2 others.

Avia CS-92: I know it's the trainer variant but I'm unsure if there were specific training units or if training was done within a squadron.

TF-104 (Marineflieger): Same as above. I've done some research but all I keep finding are references to the instructor training undertaken at Luke AFB in the '60s.

Can anyone throw some light on these?

***EDIT***

OK, with the updated rules I'm safe with all of them so I'll probably do all three :)

Edited by Speedman

Anyone know when's the new Airfix Tiger Moth is due out.........?

Doubtful before 4 Jan... :fraidnot:

Mind you, the GB lasts for four months, so if the kit is released in the first three months of 2014 there's still a chance to fit it in.

I came across this today, and was wondering if this would suit (SAAB Draken TF-35XD http://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/31322/n169tp-national-test-pilots-school-saab-35-xd-tf-35-draken/)

The aircraft was built as a trainer for the Danish Airforce and assigned to squadron service, but in the photo, it's moved on to the US National Test Pilots School ... i.e. a trainer in a training unit.

If this is a 'yes', I still have some research to do, what markings does it carry on the wings? Is it buildable from my kit? (I have the Heller kit in the stash)

{edit} TF-35 is one of the Heller Kit options, so the plastic will be OK {/edit}

Edited by Robert Stuart