Bomber Command 1939 - 1945 Group Build

Tempted to do either the Airfix Hampden or the matchbox heyford as this was still I believe an operational aircraft at the beginning, or maybe the contrail Bristol Bombay but being vacform time could be an issue.

Are these eligible for this GB ?

Cheers Pat

Ps merry Christmas everyone

Pat,

Don't think the Bombay is eligible. As far as I'm aware, it only served with 271 in the UK, which was a transport unit. Heyfords served with various bombing schools so I think they're ok. If late interwar planes are your thing, Handley Page Harrows would be ok as apparently 215 squadron had them on strength until Dec'39.

Pete

Airfix made a Mk 30 which of course had the 2 stage Merlins fitted, though the kit includes an alternative wing and single stage Merlins, so with this you can build a Mk XIX OOB. Streetly's "The Aircraft of 100 Group, an historical guide for modellers" says that the Mk 30 fuselage was 4' longer than the Mk XIX though I've just compared the Tamiya Mk VI fuselage length with Airfix's Mk 30 and they're just about identical, so it'll do for me!

Max

I'm keen. Returning to plastic kits after many years away, so don't get your hopes up for anything too startling, but I'm sure I'll have fun.

Looking at doing 1 or more of the following ...

487(NZ) sqn Ventura I or II

487 later transfered to 2nd TAF and converted to the Mossie FB VI, so I guess that's out since it's no longer bomber command at this point.

75(NZ) sqn Wellington I, IC, or III

75(NZ) sqn Stirling I or III

75(NZ) sqn Lancaster B.I or B.III

I'll now start looking to see what kits are available in 1/72, and what I can do about getting the correct decals.

Another option if I want to get started a bit sooner is to build the Lancaster as ND917 which was a 75(NZ) sqn aircraft and was the first Brit heavy bomber to land in Normandy, on 30 June '44 - I guess this would qualify it for the D-Day group build starting on D-Day +70 years.

Airfix made a Mk 30 which of course had the 2 stage Merlins fitted, though the kit includes an alternative wing and single stage Merlins, so with this you can build a Mk XIX OOB. Streetly's "The Aircraft of 100 Group, an historical guide for modellers" says that the Mk 30 fuselage was 4' longer than the Mk XIX though I've just compared the Tamiya Mk VI fuselage length with Airfix's Mk 30 and they're just about identical, so it'll do for me!

Max

I'd forgotten about that, yep that'll do the trick.

Wez

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually do these but as a member of the Bomber Command SIG I think it would be most rude if I didn't contribute something, (it'll also give me the KUTA needed to get the thing finished for our table).

I'll pitch in with a Swanton Morley based, 88 squadron Boston III, circa 1942, using the 1/48th Italeri kit with oodles of am goodies. They didn't have em for long as 2 group carted them off to sunnier climes with the second TAF in June 43, but they did serve well with BC.

I've got everything ready to go just need the guy (or gal preferably) with the big whip !

Melchie....

• Like 3

Melchie,

Welcome on board - looking forward to seeing you do that one!!

I've just been through my stash and sorted it out in the loft. There are so many kits that would suit this GB that it doesn't even bear thinking about!! I'm heading towards a 1/48 Wellington at the moment, but that could be a 1/48 Lancaster III or even a 1/72 Lancaster Mk II. Woe betide if HK Models release the 1/32 Lancaster before this GB, that would take priority!

So many kits, not enough time!

Chris

• Like 1

I've just been given a box of assorted B17s in various states of completion and destruction, one of which is the really early one of the type used by bomber command, does anyone know how to "unglue" parts ?

It's part made badly but might be recoverable if taken back to the 25% stage and restarted.

Cheers Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a 1/72 wellington mk III today, certain trumpeter kits are becoming a little harder to get hold of so, thought I'll plan ahead.

I've also considering a 1/72 Lancaster, I've got a thing for a half naked woman on the nose of an aircraft, and there are some nice examples with the Lancasters

Quite like the look of the Z Nose Woody, if you do make a few could I put my name down on one please? Looking at building the Matchbox Halifax for this GB, or I might just build it at a later date with that nose in the Coastal scheme.

I've got a z nose for the mb kit mate which you could use. Having a preliminary look at the kit, there is a step in the front of the revell kit that makes the cutting more complicated. Think I will try making the mould using car filler as sanding miliput is a PITA

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All could you stick me down for this one too. Not sure what to build yet thou, choice between MPM Blenheim Mk1, a Valom Hampden I will save the Lancaster or Halifax for another time.

Thanks and all the best
Chris

Count me in, I would like to enter with the Valom Wellesley I. Would the Vickers Windsor qualify for the group build? I plan to buy the 1:144 Anigrand kit of that (which also comes with a Vickers 432 as a bonus) and would enter it too if the kit is released in time for the group build.

I do hope someone actually builds a figure of 'Bomber' Harris, though.

The Wellesley finished with Bomber Command in April 1939, I think, so whilst it didn't see active service with BC I think it probably sneaks under the fence. The Windsor never saw operational service so doesn't really qualify unless we're going to stretch the definition.

Any thoughts Chris, Mish?

Pete

The Wellesley finished with Bomber Command in April 1939, I think, so whilst it didn't see active service with BC I think it probably sneaks under the fence.

Wouldn't its service in East Africa count as well? Alternatively, I could create period-appropriate markings from generic decals and serials for a 1939 plane.

Edited by atvd1020

The Wellesley finished with Bomber Command in April 1939, I think, so whilst it didn't see active service with BC I think it probably sneaks under the fence. The Windsor never saw operational service so doesn't really qualify unless we're going to stretch the definition.

Any thoughts Chris, Mish?

Pete

I would tent to leave the decision to the hosts initially, only stepping in if there was a dispute.

Good morning everybody,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to the questions, I have been very busy with a few family problems (including the death of my grandfather!) and a few domestic problems, and far too much work and being away from home for a week at a time.

I'm actually with Pete on this one. The Wellesley was being phased out of service by the outbreak of war in 1939, and according to the articles I was just reading, 4 remained in service in the UK. The rest were transferred to the Middle Eat... It's a difficult one but bearing in mind that the aircraft type was technically operated by Bomber Command in 1939, I am happy for the Wellesley to be considered as in for this GB.

Hope this helps,

Chris

• Like 1

Well, I've never posted a completed model on here, but as my current theme is Bomber Command..... just need to decide which unbuilt to go for.

Currently working on Vulcan / Victor so they're out, and already finished Lancaster Bll, Wellington X, Stirling l, Manchester & Wellesley. Tempted to say Lincoln, but may be more sensible to make it a Tallboy Lancaster.........

Edited by JagRigger

Good morning everybody,

Sorry about the delay in getting back to the questions, I have been very busy with a few family problems (including the death of my grandfather!) and a few domestic problems, and far too much work and being away from home for a week at a time.

I'm actually with Pete on this one. The Wellesley was being phased out of service by the outbreak of war in 1939, and according to the articles I was just reading, 4 remained in service in the UK. The rest were transferred to the Middle Eat... It's a difficult one but bearing in mind that the aircraft type was technically operated by Bomber Command in 1939, I am happy for the Wellesley to be considered as in for this GB.

Hope this helps,

Chris

OK, thanks for the clarification. I will see what I can do about period-appropriate markings for the Wellesley. On the other hand, I might sneak in an Anigrand 1:144 Stirling :winkgrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning everybody,

Hope this helps,

Chris

Hi Chris

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather, hope family life starts to return to normal soon. I imagine this GB will be a very welcome distraction.

Cheers Pat

• 3 weeks later...