Bomber Command 1939 - 1945 Group Build

100 Group Mossie FB.VI for me (I know I posted this on the other thread but it's now closed so I thought I'd post on here instead).

Wez

I know someone asked this in the group build chat thread and it's something that interest me as I've not got the room for a 1/72 medium or heavy, did Bomber Command have any "hacks"?

If not I've looked at the 1/144 Amodel and Minicraft Lancs but both have some issues and are roughly the size of a 1/72 Blenheim or a Mosquito anyway. If push comes to shove I'll do Tamiya's Mosquito B.IV as 105 Sqn's DK301 on it's Stockholm run.

BMk_IV_SeriesII_DK301.jpg

Hi all,

Well done on making the cut for next year's group builds! I am very excited about this one as it gives me the perfect excuse to start my Tamiya Lancaster. So, I'm in!!

Tamiya 1/48th Lancaster

Belcher Bits resin correction set

Various (numerous!) Eduard etched sets

I've yet to decide the actual aircraft, but will check out what after market decals are available.

I know someone asked this in the group build chat thread and it's something that interest me as I've not got the room for a 1/72 medium or heavy, did Bomber Command have any "hacks"?

If not I've looked at the 1/144 Amodel and Minicraft Lancs but both have some issues and are roughly the size of a 1/72 Blenheim or a Mosquito anyway. If push comes to shove I'll do Tamiya's Mosquito B.IV as 105 Sqn's DK301 on it's Stockholm run.

BMk_IV_SeriesII_DK301.jpg

You may have to dig a little but it shouldn't be too hard to some second line aircraft. I know I've got pics for Ansons and Martinets for certain. I'll see what I can find.

Also Oxfords, I'll keep adding this list

Spitfires, Hurricanes and Kittyhawks in the Bomber Defensive Training Flights

Miscellaneous Puss Moths, Lysanders, Dragon Rapides, BA Eagles......

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete

Would a No.2 group Mitchell count for this? I only ask because, they were part of Bomber Command but then moved to the 2nd TAF in 1943.

Sean

Yes, no trouble as long as it's a MkII, they started ops with Bomber Command in Jan 1943. So the old Italeri (or even older Frog/Bilek repop) would do in 1/72 or the Acc Min/Italeri in 1/48

Pete

Edited by Potato Pete
  • Like 1

You may have to dig a little but it shouldn't be too hard to some second line aircraft. I know I've got pics for Ansons and Martinets for certain. I'll see what I can find.

Also Oxfords, I'll keep adding this list

Pete

I have spent a few hours searching online for lists of Bomber Command aircraft but everything I've found so far is just a list of all the bombers. Also every time I stick "hack" in a sentence on Google I get all sorts of rubbish and now I think the NSA is watching me... :unsure: One thing I really don't know is, would hacks have been listed as belonging to Bomber Command or would they come under a different command?

I'll start looking up Ansons, Oxfords etc. to see if I can find bomber Sqn specific aircraft. Thanks for your help :)

Edited by Speedman

Quite shamefully, I have nothing for this! I have 9 months to get my a*se in gear and buy something! Better stock up on the old Dk Green/Earth paints.

Speedman,

As I understand it, the squadrons would have hacks assigned to them so yes, they would be Bomber Command. There were also station flights, which, I think would also count. We probably need a rules check here.

The problem seems to that everyone spent their time recording the front line aircraft.....

Pete

By the way, the NSA are watching you anyway :yikes:

There were also station flights, which, I think would also count. We probably need a rules check here.

It would certainly allow a great diversity of aircraft types to be included in the group and at the same time show the "hidden" side of the command. :)