D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build

Hi,

I'd like to take part if I can?

Recently I've been thoroughly enjoying working my way through some 1/72 Spitfires with the idea of developing my skills enough to have a go at Eduard's 1/48 Late Version MkIXc Spitfire and not make a complete pig's ear of it! To stop me keep finding excuses not to buy one, if I sign up for this Group Build, I have the perfect reason to order one.

I thought I'd make it as ML135 as flown by Jerry Billing on 7th June '44 - if that seems suitable?

Kind regards,

Stix

Here is the current list of combatants.......

1. Parabat

2. Harry Lime

3. WAFU

4. wellzy

5. Arniec

6. neal

7, Lancfan

8. Dazdot

9. Robw_uk

10.Bootneck

11.Doug Rogers

12.PaulJ

13.smuts

14.depressed lemur

15.Dazzio

16.vppelt68

17.trickyrich

18.Mish

19.Swordfish Fairey

20.ozz

21.Procopius

22.Caerbannog

23.CliffB

24.Woody37

25.-NEU-

26.Wez

27.Maltadefender

28.Atom.uk

29Stephan

30.Shar2

31.Radleigh

32.HansRegglesen

33.SleeperService

34.JOCKNEY.

35.Enzo Matrix

36.Tim T

37.Pabbi

38.Crossy

39.Erwin

40.Shermaniac

41.AndyC

42.arnobiz

43.thepureness

44.sean

45.bobster

46.Sgeek

47.badger

48.AndrewE

49.Mozzy19

50.JackG

51.AndyL

52.Wolwe82

53.PlaStix

54.Kallisti

55.Mr Grumpylee

56.Black Knight

57.Kwaterous

Smudge

All parts purchased and ready to start. Just trying to avoid breaking the seals on the bags... :waiting: ... otherwise all would be lost and I'd start building!

Mike

• Like 1

This will be a big build with all the 53 participants (and still counting)! I hope everybody is ready for it.

It's just 12 weeks to go. :yahoo::yahoo::bounce::bounce::frantic::frantic:

Cheers,

I'm a bit freaked out about this GB. I need to step out of my comfort zone, so one build will be a Cromwell tank on a transporter. However, after consultation with a colleague at work, I'll also be building the Tiger tank which Michael Wittman employed in his rampage at Villers-Bocage.

So... add the Typhoon and Beaufighter and that's four builds for this GB. :mental:

• Like 1

Hi Guys, it's me Number 40!

Do we have a final decision on which banner for this GB please

Whilst both options are good my fave is from Smudge - simple, and to the point I feel (Albeit a movie, it is still an iconic image!!)

I have done a simple banner for this build and put it up for consideration.................

d-daybanner-1_zpsf840e260.jpg

Smudge

Edited by Shermaniac

I'm a bit freaked out about this GB. I need to step out of my comfort zone, so one build will be a Cromwell tank on a transporter. However, after consultation with a colleague at work, I'll also be building the Tiger tank which Michael Wittman employed in his rampage at Villers-Bocage.

So... add the Typhoon and Beaufighter and that's four builds for this GB. :mental:

We know you can do it. But I do think you are :mental: I will :shutup: now.

Cheers,

• Like 1

I thought I was in on this one as well? I'll have a bash at something tracked I think... got Sherman, Cromwell or even a 15 CWT truck

I can't find you in any of the back posts Kallisti, but we can remedy that by signing you up right now, welcome aboard buddy.............................Smudge

Stix - interesting choice on the specific markings. There is a nice write up here about Jerry Billing;

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/jerrybillingbs_1.htm

regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thank you for that. I've read some stuff about him before. It'll be nice to have this kind of background to a build.

Sure thing Stix, consider yourself drafted aboard....................Smudge

Thank you Smudge.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 3 weeks later...

I may have to change my participation in this GB. My slowness in getting my 'Scooters'-build finished has been an eyeopener to me and - if it's allowed? :shrug: - I therefore have decided to 'downscale' my Mosquito-build in the GB from Revell's 1/32 to a more manageable size in Tamiya's 1/48 FB. VI.

There are several reasons for this, but the main one is that I simply don't think I'd be able to finish the 1/32 Mosquito to a standard I would be proud of in the allotted time.There simply is too much that have to be scratched to bring it up to today's standard, and I don't think I'm up for it just now. :fraidnot:

So - to cut it short: Revell's 1/32 Mossie is out - Tamiya's 1/48 is in.

Is that OK? :shrug:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Sorry Lee. didn't notice a post from you asking to be included, but that is easily rectified and yer in me old Mr Grumpy......Welcome aboard.............

Cheers shippers ;)

Lee :)

Hi Smudge

I have a favour to ask, and don't want to upset Mish !

I am about to start doing a Spitfire GB with 2 local primary Schools (5-11 year olds) the plan is to have them finished by D-Day as a way of celebrating and remembering the event itself. The trouble is we will be starting before the official start date of this GB.

If I keep lots of Photos during the forth coming shambles, can it put them on the GB when everyone else has started ?

cheers Pat

They could be but it would be up to Mish & the hosts to decide really,

On reflection the Spits would be the wrong type for D-Day, and I don't want to dilute the focus of the GB.

If it's ok that's great, if not I completely understand and will do a posting elsewhere on BM.

Cheers Pat

On reflection the Spits would be the wrong type for D-Day, and I don't want to dilute the focus of the GB.

Slap some black & white stripes on them and they'll do rightly, :pilot::fool:

Have I signed up for this? If not, why not? eh?

If not, I'd like to join in. If I have I'd still like to join in.

I have a couple of ideas; one will be just a mini-diorama scene. I cant decide tho if it should be in the bocage or a village/town.

What is the time scale? Start of June into August? I have something I want to build which I believe didn't get to Normandy till July. Or at least my version didn't.