D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build

Indeed, 21st Pz. Div. first took on British paratroops in the morning, and then later in the day forced their way to the beach with British and Canadians on located on either side of them.

Here is an orbat, looks like they had quite a few French converted vehicles as well.

div_pz-021.gif

k-kurz (short-barreled gun); lg-lang (long-barreled gun)

regards,

Jack

I should have made my remark on the panzzers a bit better to avoid confusion.

I ment that their were no panzers on the beaches. If Hitler had pushed the panzers right up to the beaches from the start then D-Day would have been a different story.

I usually build aircraft but I intend to step outside my comfort zone. I want to build a Cromwell tank - specifically Little Audrey of B Squadron, 1st Royal Tank Regiment.

http://www.desertrats.org.uk/assoc/Memorial_with_new_plaque.jpg

I'd like to depict it on arrival to Felixstowe docks on 4 June 1944, so I will be building it sat on a Scammell tank transporter. I've no idea if Little Audrey was actually delivered on a Scammell, but I'm gonna go for it anyway...

I think my effort is highly likely to have black and white stripes on the wings and rear fuselage. I can't be more specific! Anybody know which Luftwaffe units were operational in the area at the time and would they have been flying the Fw190A-3?

• Like 1

I think my effort is highly likely to have black and white stripes on the wings and rear fuselage. I can't be more specific! Anybody know which Luftwaffe units were operational in the area at the time and would they have been flying the Fw190A-3?

Hi Andy,

I don't know about any units but at that time most of the units would have been flying the A7/A8 and also the Bf-109 G6.

Maybee a lost A3 in some of. The units, but most will be at that time gone to the flying schools.

I hope this will help.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Hi Andy,

I don't know about any units but at that time most of the units would have been flying the A7/A8 and also the Bf-109 G6.

Maybee a lost A3 in some of. The units, but most will be at that time gone to the flying schools.

I hope this will help.

Cheers,

Many thanks as ever Arnold. Looks that way from the limited stuff I have been able to see. That means the Tamiya 190A-3 stays in its box!

This orbat does list some 190A-3's located at Dinard and Toussus-le-buc France. Dinard was a short range tactical base, while the lone A-3 attached at Tousson was a HQ aircraft.

Another interesting pdf on Luftwaffe units, aircraft type and location;

http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/944GFLA.pdf

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

This orbat does list some 190A-3's located at Dinard and Toussus-le-buc France. Dinard was a short range tactical base, while the lone A-3 attached at Tousson was a HQ aircraft.

Another interesting pdf on Luftwaffe units, aircraft type and location;

http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CGSC/CARL/nafziger/944GFLA.pdf

regards,

Jack

Thanks Jack - I had spotted that Orbat link. Clearly we are talking a recon unit - Google has thrown up a couple of NAGr13 images but they are for A-4 a/c. Would be an unusual subject to model - I may do some digging - although decals may be an issue!

I should have made my remark on the panzzers a bit better to avoid confusion.

I ment that their were no panzers on the beaches. If Hitler had pushed the panzers right up to the beaches from the start then D-Day would have been a different story.

What would be the definition for a panzer? The KG Rauch did reach the beach in the evening, but was composed as an mech. infantry group. It did have SP guns.

regards,

Jack

I would like to join with a 1/35th Sherman Crab. This will be based on the Tasca Firefly, Resicast conversion set and Bison decals.

Andrew

out of the three GBs, i signed up for this looks to be the only one that made it.........phew. although i was looking forward to the resin GB. but never mind.

now i know i said that i was going to do a DD Sherman, thats me showing my lack of knowledge when it comes to kit releases, being as the only DD out there is resin kit at hundred and something pounds. or at least thats all i can find.

so i think it will have to be a flail or bridge layer. sherman and churchill, respectivly. did whant to do a 1/35 horser glider, but after a heated debate with the lovely wife, thats not happening.

any kit suggestions greatly appreciated.

What can be build on the German side ? :fuhrer:

Only the two Fw 190's that flew over Sword Beach in terms of planes. No tanks saw action on D-Day itself.

Maybe I could do a MG,FLAK or PAK bunker

I will be making a Ju88C or R. several were lost by ZG1 (ex-KG40) over the beaches in the days following 6th June. I think a couple of He177s and even a Mistel were lost trying to attack the ships.

• Like 1