D-Day 70th Anniversary Group Build

We are using the guidlines for the 65th GB as I think they are short and sweet and give all the criteria required....And hope the hosts for that build do not mind it being used again, thanks.

The guidlines

The timeframe will be June 1st 1944 to August 20th 1944, and if it flew, drove, ran, and floated in that timeframe and was in the theatre then its in.
Part builds to the normal 25% completion (host discretion, GB mods have final say in a dispute)
As a guideline all allied aircraft must have invasion stripes unless you can show evidence that none was carried.
All vehicles, ship and aircraft must have unit marking that was in the theatre in the timeframe.
Although we have quite a large timframe covering most of the battle of Normandy. We would like to encourage entries that conform to the spirit of the GB and are as near in time to D-Day as possible.

Your hosts for the GB are Arniec and Swordfish Fairey .....

This is the current list of combatants.........

1. Parabat

2. Harry Lime

3. WAFU

4. wellzy

5. Arniec

6. neal

7, Lancfan

8. Dazdot

9. Robw_uk

10.Bootneck

11.Doug Rogers

12.PaulJ

13.smuts

14.depressed lemur

15.Dazzio

16.vppelt68

17.trickyrich

18.Mish

19.Swordfish Fairey

20.ozz

21.Procopius

22.Caerbannog

23.CliffB

24.Woody37

25.-NEU-

26.Wez

27.Maltadefender

28.Atom.uk

29Stephan

30.Shar2

31.Radleigh

32.HansRegglesen

33.SleeperService

34.JOCKNEY.

35.Enzo Matrix

36.Tim T

37.Pabbi

38.Crossy

39.Erwin

40.Shermaniac

41.AndyC

42.arnobiz

43.thepureness

44.sean

45.bobster

46.Sgeek

47.badger

48.AndrewE

49.Mozzy19

Thank You Tony for putting this up. I have been away on Holiday for two weeks without any internet.

I hope to do more in the comming period towards the start of the GB.

The most important part of this GB will be to have fun with your build.

Cheers,

As I said on the previous thread, I'll be doing Jack Collins' Tiffie MR-? flying out of Holmesly South on D-Day. Nothing epitomises D-Day like a Tiffie!

Wez

Edited by Wez

My effort will be the Mulberry LST pier, which consisted of 3 x Spud Pontoons interlinked with RCP pontoons and with the sloping buffer pontoons for the LST's. All this will be in 1:350 scale which will allow for all these items within the space available.

Mike

• Like 1

Going through my options at the moment, I'm quite tempted to build the 1/48 Italeri spitfire mk. IXc as the beer truck version. Just reading through references to see if this kits qualifies as a D-day build.

As I said on the previous thread, I'll be doing Jack Collins' Tiffie MR-? flying out of Holmesly South on D-Day. Nothing epitomises D-Day like a Tiffie!

Wez

Nuts, was thinking of that myself! Having lived on the edge of the New Forest for a number of years, I've got plenty of scope for aircraft (I like to do models that have some connection to family, locality and things like that). But have to agree, nothing says D-Day like a fully armed Tiffie! Might have to do Charles Green's aircraft, but I'll decide if it's 1/72 or 1/24th nearer the time.

Mark.

What can be build on the German side ? :fuhrer:

Only the two Fw 190's that flew over Sword Beach in terms of planes. No tanks saw action on D-Day itself.

Maybe I could do a MG,FLAK or PAK bunker

Edited by Erwin

Nuts, was thinking of that myself! Having lived on the edge of the New Forest for a number of years, I've got plenty of scope for aircraft (I like to do models that have some connection to family, locality and things like that). But have to agree, nothing says D-Day like a fully armed Tiffie! Might have to do Charles Green's aircraft, but I'll decide if it's 1/72 or 1/24th nearer the time.

Mark.

It had to be a Hampshire based Tiffie for me for the same reason (I live in Hampshire). I stayed at the camp site that's based on the old airfield a few years ago and tried to imagine what it was like on that fateful day - very busy sprang to mind!

Obviously, if the 1/24th scale kit is out then I'll go for that - I can't believe Airfix will miss a marketing trick like that.

Wez

• Like 1

Only the two Fw 190's that flew over Sword Beach in terms of planes. No tanks saw action on D-Day itself.

A number of German armoured divisions were at rest/rebuilt in the west. These were fully equipped with all kinds of equipment to choose from for the modeller given the time frame of this GB. As you say, limiting yourself to just the invasion day pretty much leaves you to look at the static defences employed at the beach areas.

Pilot Emil Lang is pretty interesting, running up quite few strings of victories, beginning June 8th. He would end up being the highest scoring Luftwaffe ace on the invasion front.

regards,

Jack

I think you are wrong about the panzers.

The 21st Panzer Division was already in the facinity near Caen and drove to the coast near Lion sur Mer.

From there they retreated back to Caen to not be crushed between the canadian and British Bregades that landed on D-Day.

If my memory serves me well they mainly hade Panzer IV's.

But if you want to build a Nice Bunker, than that is always welcome as well.

Take a look here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_Panzer_Division_(Wehrmacht)

This might help.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Can you count me in as well please. It will be something land based. Wheeled or tracked.

No definitive ideas at the moment but have a hankering for 'floaty' Sherman,

launched_DD_Tank.jpg

a well camo'd 75mm

PIC_2-375.jpg

or something a bit off the wall.

800px-German_turret_at_Omaha_Beach.jpg

Failing all that and as an emergency standby there will be something without wingy things :winkgrin:

Permission to close and take station?

Steve

• Like 1