Airfix Harrier GR1a, two GR3's and a GR5 in 1/72nd

Seeing as there's a bit of a Harrier-fest at the moment, thought I'd join in with four of my more recent builds. The GR1a and GR5 have featured on here before, but I've taken a few better pic's as I had the camera out for the two new GR3's. These will feature in a forthcoming AWM - so just a couple of pic's of those.

First The GR1a - XW630/"U" of 20 Sqn. You may note that the mainplanes are in matt paint and the airframe is gloss - quite a common feature - due to interchangeability......

IMG_5503_zps9548b139.jpg

Next we have the GR5. This is of course Airfix's new GR9 converted by using the nose cone off of their ancient GR5/7 kit...not too happy with the canopy - the sealant looks a little dodgy!! Never mind eh?

IMG_5499_zps52569cfc.jpg

Now the two newbies.....both GR3's, one an early pointy nosed version in Arctic White and the second in Falklands War guise. LGB's are from the Revell Tornado.....

IMG_5472_zps5c905065.jpg

IMG_5478_zps596f7350.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark
  • Like 9

Very nice those Bill, which magazine will two of these be appearing in, is it Airfix Model World (AMW)? I`ll look forward to reading your article,

Cheers,

Tony

Bill like all your models they are particularly beautiful. I love Harriers and never tire of them.

I am particularly keen to learn more about the early GR3s that look the same as GR1s in wraparound and all the differences. Particularly as I want to make a model of each type. Or a few at least.

I have never seen a pic of a pointy snow one before except in that Art work you sent me.

Wonderful harriers mate.

Cheers Rob ;)

Thanks everyone....yes indeed I did mean AMW - not AWM (thank goodness for spell-checker eh?).

Kirk - I used Tamiya Midnight Blue out of the bottle...I did try mixing the correct formula - I think it stated 25% roundel Blue and 75% Night, but that came out a bit too Grey -in my eyes anyway..

Gary - nice to hear from you again....our interests do indeed coincide (apart from Football of course!!).

Incidentally I have a further 'batch' of HSA's finest on the work-bench...in various states of build...these include a 1 Sqn GR1, a IV Sqn GR3(both Airfix new kits) a 3 Sqn GR7 in Green (Airfix GR9), two Sword T-birds (899 NAS T8 and a 233OCU T4) a T12 (Airfix old T10 and new GR9 combined, and a couple of Shars ...I'll post these as they get done......

Bill,

Very nice work, as always. We really must try and get them on the next Harrier SIG display for people to see in the flesh, as it were. Might not be much room for anything else, but don't think that would detract from the quality!

Keep the Harrier flag flying!

• Like 1

Bill,

Very nice work, as always. We really must try and get them on the next Harrier SIG display for people to see in the flesh, as it were. Might not be much room for anything else, but don't think that would detract from the quality!

Keep the Harrier flag flying!

Yes indeed Graham....interestingly there were a few of my 1/72nd Shar's on display for some years on the SIG stand....but Ill definitely try to get some over for the new season!!

That's one of the best (most realistic) painted winter camouflaged Harriers I have seen, Bill. Will you please share a few words about which paint you used, ant the painting technique?

And please save some models for the Harrier GB next year...

Nils

That's one of the best (most realistic) painted winter camouflaged Harriers I have seen, Bill. Will you please share a few words about which paint you used, ant the painting technique?

And please save some models for the Harrier GB next year...

Nils

Thanks Nils! High praise indeed! Basically I applied the white and Dark Sea Grey as per normal, added the LACG last. I then hand painted sections in Green - applied the decals to the grey or green areas only and then brush painted addition white (Games Workshop Skull White - lovely and matt and white) with a broad paintbrush over the white, helped to replicate the roughly applied paint of the real thing. I added a few washes of Flory dirty colour and then gently, using a soft sanding sponge, roughed the surface up a bit.

Denis Robinson sent me a photo of the real aircraft - which helped. The airframe was still in glossy camo at this stage, with matt white paint over the top...

I will save a few Harriers for next year !!!

Heres another of XV762/"44"

IMG_5469_zps1978cdc1.jpg

Edited by Bill Clark