New tool Hurricane Mk.I Flt Lt Nicolson VC (pictures added)

Nicolson was 23 years old and a flight lieutenant in No. 249 Squadron, during the Second World War when he was awarded the Victoria Cross. On 16 August 1940 near Southampton, Nicolson's Hawker Hurricane was fired on by a Messerschmitt Bf 110, injuring the pilot in one eye and one foot. His engine was also damaged and the petrol tank set alight. As he struggled to leave the blazing machine he saw another Messerschmitt, and managing to get back into the seat, and continued firing until the enemy plane dived away to destruction. Not until then did he bail out, and he was able to open his parachute in time to land safely in a field. On his descent, he was fired on by members of the Home Guard, who ignored his cry of being a RAF pilot.

Nicolson was the only pilot of RAF Fighter Command to be awarded the Victoria Cross during the Second World War. His Victoria Cross is displayed at the Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon.

Victoria Cross Citation:

"Air Ministry, 15 November 1940.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Victoria Cross on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery : —
Flight Lieutenant James Brindley NICOLSON (39329) — No. 249 Squadron.
During an engagement with the enemy near Southampton on 16th August 1940, Flight Lieutenant Nicolson's aircraft was hit by four cannon shells, two of which wounded him whilst another set fire to the gravity tank. When about to abandon his aircraft owing to flames in the cockpit he sighted an enemy fighter. This he attacked and shot down, although as a result of staying in his burning aircraft he sustained serious burns to his hands, face, neck and legs. Flight Lieutenant Nicolson has always displayed great enthusiasm for air fighting and this incident shows that he possesses courage and determination of a high order. By continuing to engage the enemy after he had been wounded and his aircraft set on fire, he displayed exceptional gallantry and disregard for the safety of his own life."

The Nicolson cabinet in the Battle of Britain Hall at Hendon:

DSC_7796_zpse1d62f83.jpg

Nicolson's medals:

DSC_7794_zps4bf54a7a.jpg

This is the new tool Hurricane straight from the box with the addition of Tamiya tape seat belts, EZ-Line aerial wire (I haven't got the hang of using CA and accelerator yet, resulting in big blobs on the masts!) and painted ModelDecal Black Trimfilm for the canopy framing. I'm not sure if this machine is a totally accurate representation of Flt Lt Nicolson's.

The only issues I had were with the fitting of the canopy and windscreen and propeller.

I wasn't inspired by the decal choices in the box, so I raided my Airfix Victoria Cross Icons set (picked up for £15 from Toymaster.)

It was a weekend build to test my newly-bought the LifeColor Battle of Britain set, but I was so unimpressed with the shade of both the green and brown, that I oversprayed with my old faithful Humbrol enamels! The decals were sealed by a brush-painted coat of W&N Galeria Matt Varnish.

I have not applied any weathering, but I may do in due course.

Despite today being bright, my conservatory is north-facing, so there is insufficient daylight for any decent pictures.

11365969343_3acbb370fd_c.jpg

11365831465_4e8c0c70f6_c.jpg

11365835795_21828db0a8_c.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

Feeling inspired with mine now. Do not like the scheme that came with the kit. I was thinking France 1940 and doing the fictitious aircraft from the Derek Robinson book a Piece of Cake. Something different. Found a set of decals from the old Revell kit which may be useable

• Like 1

Very nice Alpha. I like the way they got the plane to fit round the codes, were they really that size?

Sean

Hi Sean. Thanks for your comments. I couldn't find any photographs, but the images of the paintings that I found on the 'net seem to show the "oversize" codes.

Feeling inspired with mine now. Do not like the scheme that came with the kit. I was thinking France 1940 and doing the fictitious aircraft from the Derek Robinson book a Piece of Cake. Something different. Found a set of decals from the old Revell kit which may be useable

I would say "go for it"! I look forward to seeing your "Piece of Cake" Hurri.

lovely build of my favourite fighter plane well done mate

Thanks, Stu. I'm glad you like her!

I have the V.C. set myself, so I might do the same. Used to seeing the large codes on Spits,

makes a nice difference to see them on Hurricanes as well,

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Sean. Thanks for your comments. I couldn't find any photographs, but the images of the paintings that I found on the 'net seem to show the "oversize" codes.

I would say "go for it"! I look forward to seeing your "Piece of Cake" Hurri.

Thanks, Stu. I'm glad you like her!

Im making a start over Christmas just trawling for better decals and ideas for the squadron codes. Im going to post up on here and see if I get any feedback.

• Like 1

Very nice!

I really should have picked one up yesterday from Mr Models.

Only £6.95 too!

Rick.

Thanks Rick. Go back and get one (especially at that price!!) :winkgrin:

I have the V.C. set myself, so I might do the same. Used to seeing the large codes on Spits,

makes a nice difference to see them on Hurricanes as well,

Sean

I agree, Sean. If you do use the VC set, beware of silvering (despite a gloss coat and a wet layer of Klear under each decal.)

Im making a start over Christmas just trawling for better decals and ideas for the squadron codes. Im going to post up on here and see if I get any feedback.

I'm sure that you'll get some good suggestions from the BM membership, Chuck. :book:

Wow what a cracking little aeroplane, lovely build and finish.

Thanks very much. Mekon. I had hoped to post some better pictures. :thumbsup:

Very tidy ! :)

Thanks Chris. Glad you liked it. :cheers:

very nice looks great,been meaning to grab this kit from lms lol

Thanks, batcode. Grab one and you won't be disappointed! :winkgrin:

Great build and finish, nice to see this new tool starting to appear on the forum.and an excellent scheme too.

Thanks, Steve. I'm really pleased that you like it. :thumbsup:

Put the post up in WW2 section see what I get. Probably not a whole lot at the moment, there seems to be a frenzy around Gladiator colours occurring I am staying well away from that one. Im into artistic licence for this project. Hurri fans please help me. As for the build on this thread love it, just hope mine turns out half as good.

Put the post up in WW2 section see what I get. Probably not a whole lot at the moment, there seems to be a frenzy around Gladiator colours occurring I am staying well away from that one. Im into artistic licence for this project. Hurri fans please help me. As for the build on this thread love it, just hope mine turns out half as good.

Thanks again for the kind words and good luck with your quest. :winkgrin: