1/72 - Northrop N-3PB by Special Hobby - released - new boxing announced

Homebee

Probably the old MPM kit, hopefully with an injection formed canopy (the MPM kit had a vacuformed one). It doesn't seem that they have corrected the decals though, the codes should be black, not red.

Nils

• 5 months later...

Probably the old MPM kit, hopefully with an injection formed canopy (the MPM kit had a vacuformed one). It doesn't seem that they have corrected the decals though, the codes should be black, not red.

Nils

I don't recall the RAF using black for fuselage coding. Where might I find this information?

Chris

The codes look rather black, or should I say very dark grey, on colour photos.

Being a Norwegian Naval Air Service unit, with little experience from colour directives, and located in Iceland far away from the RAF brass, the correct colour might not have been their highest priority.

Repainting the Norwegian insignia with British roundels wat not exactly popular among the squadron's personell, and it was a rumour that the first ground crew who painted over the Norwegian markings would have to expect an unpleasant surprise. Thus the first aircraft was repainted by the squadron leader.

Later, single letter codes were in Red though.

Nils

Who is talking about old black & white photos??

GS-F_small_NM-coll.jpg

Definitely not red codes, at least in my eyes...

And there is more where it comes from :)

Nils

• Like 5

Real colour, from a 16mm film. I have only this copy myself, but I have seen many others. The photos will hopefully be published in a forthcoming book on 330 Sqn. some time in the future.

Nils

I'll keep an eye open for that book.

Unfortunately you will have to wait a few years. The author is currenty working on volume 5 of a six volumes history on 331 and 332 Squadrons. But 330 Sqn. is possibly what he will do next.

Nils