What-If Chat

robvulcan

It,s a couple of FW-190A Night Fighters.

The guy I got them and some ME-262's was planing some thing but lost interest.

Like the idea of the middle wheels going up in to the wing instead of being mounted in it.

The BF-109 center wing wont work, as I have a 109 Zwilling. I was going to use it as a template for the 190.

It,s a couple of FW-190A Night Fighters.

The guy I got them and some ME-262's was planing some thing but lost interest.

Like the idea of the middle wheels going up in to the wing instead of being mounted in it.

The BF-109 center wing wont work, as I have a 109 Zwilling. I was going to use it as a template for the 190.

They'll do nicely.

I wasn't sure of the 109Z centre wing, scratch building is the way to go and the wing shape is relatively simple. With a bit of careful surgery you could us the unused wheel wells as the basis for the new centre mounted ones!

ok I had a bit of spare time at work today so instead of trolling evilbay for more resin to fill the stash I did a quick mockup of Fw-190 Zwilling.

As it was mentioned that the models were nightfighters I made this one up as a nightfighter and I think it looks awesome!

Fw-190A8R11Zwilling_zps4e29fcfb.jpg

Ok for the crew there are two options, single or two man crew. As a pure nightfighter a two man crew option would be better, less worked load, but as single seater, a heavy destroyer!!

The main undercarriage looks a bit on the light side, I've tried to position it to balance the weight of the aircraft and added wider the wheels. Probably needs some more work in this area, the mains are moved back a little bit so they "fit" in the wing, but actually I think the inner wing mounted guns need to be removed for space and maybe slanted back a little bit when folded.

I think this design would suit a Dora or Ta152 better with the additional fuselage plug.

Anyway was a bit of fun to do.

• Like 1

With that wingspan you may need Ta152 style plugs in front of the tail or it

would surely porpoise through the air. It would reduce the angle of attack

On the runway before the tail lifts for take off too.

Maybe more tailplane?. I could be wrong, but.....

I do like the look of it, But have to ask,

In the days of the 190A, Was there a real need for a dedicated nightfighter?

In those days, The day fighters flew in night defence.

And, would there be an advantage over the Bf110?

Watching with interest though!

Pete

With that wingspan you may need Ta152 style plugs in front of the tail or it

would surely porpoise through the air. It would reduce the angle of attack

On the runway before the tail lifts for take off too.

Maybe more tailplane?. I could be wrong, but.....

I do like the look of it, But have to ask,

In the days of the 190A, Was there a real need for a dedicated nightfighter?

In those days, The day fighters flew in night defence.

And, would there be an advantage over the Bf110?

Watching with interest though!

Pete

I agree, for this to work you need the bigger airframe of the 154, or tail plugin on a Dora, the A's are just too stubby.

This was just done as a nightfighter as it was mentioned that the base kits were nightfighters.

For me, it would be a Ta 152H as a Luft46 high altitude fighter against B-29's or very high altutude recon. Maybe even longer tail plugin to balance it.

Was an interesting design exercise though.

Trickyrich love the line drawing, wish I had the time and possible the talent to do such things.

It's what-if, so I would look at the FW-190 Zwilling being as much use as the 109 version.

When you think about it, FW-190 night fighters were a good idea, in that they where faster than the BF-110's, and though the pilot had a bit more work to do, so did all single seat radar caring fights from 1944 on ward. The U.S. Navy didn't use two seaters till the F7F.

I do think the TA-152 would look better.

I agree, the Dora's and Ta 152's are/were a much nicer looking/designed aircraft, pity their numbers didn't survive the war. Be amazing to see those things at airshows!!

if I get time, next shift (probably in a couple of weeks time) I'll have a go at it, I normally do these during those long boring days on shift. I'm back home for a few days tomorrow but there's other stuff to do, eating, drinking, GB's projects! :D

I'll have a play with the long and short wing versions of the Ta152, though I'll have to be careful else I'll give myself another project!!! :doh::banghead:

ok I had a bit of spare time at work today so instead of trolling evilbay for more resin to fill the stash I did a quick mockup of Fw-190 Zwilling.

As it was mentioned that the models were nightfighters I made this one up as a nightfighter and I think it looks awesome!

Fw-190A8R11Zwilling_zps4e29fcfb.jpg

Ok for the crew there are two options, single or two man crew. As a pure nightfighter a two man crew option would be better, less worked load, but as single seater, a heavy destroyer!!

The main undercarriage looks a bit on the light side, I've tried to position it to balance the weight of the aircraft and added wider the wheels. Probably needs some more work in this area, the mains are moved back a little bit so they "fit" in the wing, but actually I think the inner wing mounted guns need to be removed for space and maybe slanted back a little bit when folded.

I think this design would suit a Dora or Ta152 better with the additional fuselage plug.

Anyway was a bit of fun to do.

I like the concept Rich. Personally, I'd prefer the long nosed FW-190 D but that's just me!! If you are open to suggestions about the undercarriage, maybe you could sort of swap the undercarriage bays around so that the undercarriage legs in each fuselage retract outwards like the BF-109 or Spitfire? You'd have a 4 leg arrangement sort of like the HE-177 but certainly enough space under the wings. The four wheels would surely take the load of what would be a pretty heavy aeroplane. That's SERIOUS firepower by the way!! Do I see no less than 8 x 20 mm cannons there? That would ruin ANYBODY'S day!!!

I have to confess that that both this and your HE-177 Zwilling have given some serious inspiration here so I hope you won't take it amiss if I borrow your ideas for my own ever growing list of "what if " projects!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Hi Allen

go for it, I hope to inspire people to go a bit crazy and have some fun with some of their builds. Feel free to "steal" any ideas you want, have plenty more stored in my head I really should get out.

bigh827 was after some ideas for his 190's so that was the thought behind these plans. But yes I agree to balance the design the longer fuselage Dora or Ta 152 would be much better. Yeap the undercarriage gave me some headaches as I was doing the drawings, I still haven't decided what is the ideal arrangement. Maybe if I do this with theTa 152 I'll think of something.

Yes as I was working on this I realized this beasty had some serious firepower!!

If I have the time i'm more than happy to try and put somebodies crazy ideas into a mockup drawing if I have the basic drawings.......so anyone feel free to ask.

Hi all

I've been lurking around the whiff pages for a while occasionally chipping in when I see something particularly spectacular....He177 Zwillings leap to mind! I am curious about what Trickyrich uses to produce his line drawings as I would love to give that a bash for some of my planned whiffs, any chance of a wee tutorial Rich???? Likewise if anyone can demonstrate how to create the colour profles I have seen on here I would be very grateful!

For what it is worth, my proposals for whiffing include an evolution series for the Westland Whirlwind based on the destruction of the Supermarine plant before Lord Nuffield got things going in the Midlands. Early single stage Merlins, twin stage Merlins, Griffins, PR variants, FAA variants, tropicalised versions, 2TAF versions....does it show that I have a thing about Whirlwinds?

Cheers

DC

The hardest part for me is finding detailed originals to use/work from. Then I use Adobe Photoshop to play around with the drawing to create what I'm after. I need to learn how to use Illustrator as that would allow me to product drawings with finer detail, plus a little bit more outrageous as well!

I like the Whirlwinds as well, plenty to play with in that design. Could have evolved into some interesting aircraft!

Dr. Evil said "There is nothing worst than an ageing hipster."

Less radical What-if, I plan to build my twin Mustang an 1/72 scale F-82G as one under going testing by the Luftwaffe in late 1946.

It had to make a forced landing after a night battle with a couple of German Uhu's.

Well I have at last got one thing I can enter with for certain though I still have plenty of other ideas lurking in the back of my mind.

But at Huddersfield show I saw General Melchetts Bombcorde with the early wing tail and nose design. Moments later I spotted the tiny 1/300th Concorde for an extortionate £3 !!!

This kit has the original shape but modern Air France Decals so I picked up some low viz D roundels from Model Art stand.

So a RAF Bombcorde is going to be breaking the sound barrier to arrive at my work bench soon. Lovely little kit by the looks of it.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 4

Just caught this thread. Cool ideas. Liked this chat:

welcome to the mad house procopious, Best get that F-16 Raf bird on here. I want to see that made. :whip:

I've been thinking a lot about it, actually. It and the Jaguar seem like very different approaches to the same end goal: a cheap jet to fill the "lo" requirement in a "high-lo" force. The Jaguar was necessarily more austere because the UK and France started from a different place and were a lot poorer than the USA in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and because of the European interest in rough-field performance. That might be hard to obtain with the F-16's big gaping mouth down low to the ground, but I think with sufficient industrial offsets, MOD could overlook that, seeing as the Jaguar force operated from large, modern airfields in RAFG. Other than that, it seems to be pretty similar in capability, aside from probably a worse low-level ride. It's also much uglier than the Jaguar, IMO.

much as i love the f-16 the Jag wins hands down for me on looks and sound

In the 80's the Jag guys I knew generally wanted to fly the F18 or the F16 and would have loved the RAF to have either. The F18 often got the nod because (IIRC) it had a moving map display and the F16 didn't - and it just seemed a bit more mud-movery and the F16 (in its A model guise anyways) just seemed a bit more air-defencery. We loved our moving map display above all else...........(little things and little minds). Funnily enough we all liked the old A7 Corsair as well.

Eurofighter was mooted even then - in it's European Fighter Aircraft guise - I even did a lecture on EFA as part of my QWI course and it looked ugly even then :)

I got to fly the F16C for about 50 hours or so at McDill in 1990 on exchange with the USAF (was supposed to be there for a couple of years but got ill :( ). Has two MFDs by then but still didn't have a moving map - but I learn't to forgive it as just had so much power and performance it almost blew your mind to begin with. 2 v 2 against F15s - 9g - I didn't have a bloody clue what was happening - but I knew it was fun....(sigh)

Anyways - to cut the line-shooting for a mo - I reckon an F16 or F18 in 1980's wrap around camouflage - 6, 41 or 54 squadrons - would do very nicely thank you......

• Like 4

Fritag, I'd be lying if I said that guys like you weren't like gods on earth to me as a small American boy growing up in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Any and all line-shooting is enjoyed and appreciated!

• Like 1

Procopius. The reality was more like sweaty, nerdy overgrown schoolboys with big toys really. A cold-war precursor to growing up and getting a proper job and a real life.

I was devastated one day to walk into the ATC tower at a Coltishall - feeling very puffed up and manly having just led an 8 ship airfield attack (think it was my 4's lead work up) and the controller played back the tape recording of the radio transmissions.

There was this little squeaky voice of a child mimicking a grown up and playing at being the leader of an 8-ship of jags. She tried to pretend it was me.........and then it turned out that it was me........I protested that it must be because the oxygen mask was so tight and that everyone sounded a bit squeeky...Surely? And then this American voice came up on the radio - probably a passing A10 or F111 and it sounded just so deep and drawling and texan.......I slunk away and promised never to take myself so seriously again......

Each and every line shoot has to be filtered through the prism of the sweaty, nerdy, squeaky reality...... ;)

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 5