What-If Chat

robvulcan

Well long after I started this "Chat page" Which I still hope Mike, Mish or Greg could pin for us. I have started a thread on my own new whiff called the Avro Azrael. Having tremendous fun so far in between other builds.

I am loving the designs above particularly the Ultra Cat. Looks like a beast.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Rob, I really do want to thank you for starting this chat - it's what made me join Britmodller! The new V-Bomber replacement is looking great in your Avro Azrael build-thread.

Rotorheadtx, looking forward to your improved Skyraider! As has been said elsewhere, whifs can require more research than a 'real' build. I've learned what an A2D Skyshark and Avro 730 are thanks to you two!

• Like 2

Hey that's alright it's just a section of the sight I thought we should take more interest and care in since the last 2 whiff GBs were so popular. It's a shame its bit been pinned.

But glad everyone is enjoying it and great you joined. Re V bomber Whifs I have plenty of random parts and decals so seems like the parts in a box are begging to be used and joined somehow. That's my excuse anyhows cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

Rob, I really do want to thank you for starting this chat - it's what made me join Britmodller! The new V-Bomber replacement is looking great in your Avro Azrael build-thread.

Rotorheadtx, looking forward to your improved Skyraider! As has been said elsewhere, whifs can require more research than a 'real' build. I've learned what an A2D Skyshark and Avro 730 are thanks to you two!

that’s really nice to here. :thumbsup:

This particular thread was started as Rob mentioned as a result of the failed bid for a WhatIf III GB for this year. From that original thread for that GB you could tell there were a lot of very interested people in this type of modeling and a lot of crazy/awesome ideas. Plus at that stage most of us didn’t realize there was a WhitIf section in Britmodeller.

Now we’ve all moved across we’re trying to make this thread a bit more active and hopefully bring more people, like yourself, across to our cause. Ultimately we still hope to have another GB, well WhatIf III GB, as the last one was so much fun and for me also my introduction to Britmodeller and GB’s. Plus even maybe we can get the site admin staff to give us or make permanent Chat and Galley thread here. :pray:

Unfortunately I haven’t been as productive as I’d like due to my work, I only get to have 5 days a month at home, so this sort of kills my modeling time. Work 3 weeks on 1 week off (less 2 days travelling, Oz really is a big place!), previously I’d work 2 week even time roster, plenty of time for family and models!!

I am glad you have been inspired and hope you enjoy yourself, keep up the good work……and bring on more crazy/awesome Whiff projects! :yahoo:

• Like 3

most of us didn’t realize there was a WhitIf section in Britmodeller.

I think the problem is that it is "shoved" way down the board. most people look at their relvant area of interest, but don't venture to see what else there is. I know I, like many others, tend to post my Whifs in the Aircraft RFI section just to get more exposure.

• Like 2

Well we must remember its niche but that does not mean it should not be taken seriously as every type of modelling is niche these days. Plus Whiffs are growing in popularity quite sharply it seems. I also think that the what if forum (other forum outside of BM) is awful to navigate and by making out what if section more active and appealing we could attract yet more members to the BM clan.

To be honest I wish more of the other genres were taken more seriously too like sci-fi, choo choos. etc. they are part and parcel of BM but like you say shoved down the bottom out of site.

I guess from the MODs perspective they have enough work to deal with already without another rabble to deal with haha. I guess if that happens they could appoint more mods. BM sure has grown since I joined a few years back and what ever form it is I love Britmodeller.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 2

Trickyrich, I used to work a two weeks on two weeks off schedule with a 4000 mile commute, so I understand your situation a bit. Three on - one off doesn't sound fair at all!

I'll definitely keep up my own whif madness. Currently working on two non-whif Super Hornets (well I did subtly change-up the schemes a little - can't help myself I suppose), and then I'm thinking of an RAF F-16 build alongside a non-whif Jaguar. A Falcon FGR.1A? Perhaps 'Block 32' F-16 purchased to replace the Jaguar in late 1980's, then modified (hence the 'A' designation) to accept LANTIRN pods in early 90's just as Jaguars received TIALD.

• Like 1

Trickyrich, I used to work a two weeks on two weeks off schedule with a 4000 mile commute, so I understand your situation a bit. Three on - one off doesn't sound fair at all!

I'll definitely keep up my own whif madness. Currently working on two non-whif Super Hornets (well I did subtly change-up the schemes a little - can't help myself I suppose), and then I'm thinking of an RAF F-16 build alongside a non-whif Jaguar. A Falcon FGR.1A? Perhaps 'Block 32' F-16 purchased to replace the Jaguar in late 1980's, then modified (hence the 'A' designation) to accept LANTIRN pods in early 90's just as Jaguars received TIALD.

Love to see the RAF F-16 for some reason that just sparked a bit of inspiration for me to do a Rockwell B1 Lancer in RAF Anti-flash white hmm. I recon that would look beasty

An anti-flash white B-1 would look cool among your Vulcan collection.

Indeed it would do. Particularly in 1/144th parked up with the Vulcan, Azrael and a pit road TSR-2. .... And if I can ever master vac forms. A welsh victor and valiant hmm the wallet is cowering with fear now lol

• Like 1

I've been looking at doing an RAF F-16 to go with my F-15 F.1. I will probably go for an F-16A, so I can keep it in camo, as after 1978, British fighters started turning a boring shade of grey....

• Like 2

Luke Piewalker, you have one of the greatest screen names ever! Looking forward to your Vulcans.

Procopius and Wooksta, I spent WAY too much time looking for info on the HS. 1202-9! Used our friend Google and his (her?) nemesis Bing - and only found a few glimpses of the proposed fighter. I'll keep looking for an affordable copy of 'British Secret Projects', but it seems to be out of print.

Procopius and Wooksta, I spent WAY too much time looking for info on the HS. 1202-9! Used our friend Google and his (her?) nemesis Bing - and only found a few glimpses of the proposed fighter. I'll keep looking for an affordable copy of 'British Secret Projects', but it seems to be out of print.

The Matchbox F16A is supposedly a reasonable basis for it - the plastic's thick and as it's a basic kit, well able to take a lot of punishment.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

I've been looking at doing an RAF F-16 to go with my F-15 F.1. I will probably go for an F-16A, so I can keep it in camo, as after 1978, British fighters started turning a boring shade of grey....

Just as we are talking about F-16s and camo options. There were some real F-16s painted in a wrap around scheme known as Lizard scheme or something. Only a few early on and then I believe more later on.

Just a thought for those wanting to do that scheme or look for inspiration.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1