What-If Chat

robvulcan

Hi all seeing as there is not going to be a What-If 3 GB but yet there seems to be a lot of interest in Whiffs. I recon we should use this Whiff section more than it has been in the past.

Trickyrich on here asked if there Is a Whiff chat section seeing as there is not can we have please :pray:

Or make this the start of the Chat section.

Just a thought Cheers Rob ;)

Well its worth a try most modeling sections have a chat section why not this one. Its the chatting that makes the forum worth while. A chat section brings it all alive as we all like to share together in the joy of modeling. Surely after 3 group builds of whiffs the whiffers here should make more use of this section and by talking chatting and having fun I dare say more builds will appear here. I will be adding one. A WIP section would also be cool perhaps. Whiffs do seem to be gaining popularity these days.

Cheers Rob ;)

• Like 1

I've been thinking a lot about it, actually. It and the Jaguar seem like very different approaches to the same end goal: a cheap jet to fill the "lo" requirement in a "high-lo" force. The Jaguar was necessarily more austere because the UK and France started from a different place and were a lot poorer than the USA in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and because of the European interest in rough-field performance. That might be hard to obtain with the F-16's big gaping mouth down low to the ground, but I think with sufficient industrial offsets, MOD could overlook that, seeing as the Jaguar force operated from large, modern airfields in RAFG. Other than that, it seems to be pretty similar in capability, aside from probably a worse low-level ride. It's also much uglier than the Jaguar, IMO.

• Like 4

It would be nice to see better use of the Whif section. I could easily be persuaded to built my intended Whif 111 here instead. And for anyone in need of an immediate whif fix there is a GB on ATF right now that runs until the end of January. Must use 51% Airfix though.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Well with the Britmodeller gang appearing to be growing exponentially and it being such a happy freindly place to hang out, Why not indeed make more of it. I am a member of the What If modellers forum but I find it hard and clunky to use. It also does not seem so active as this Forum. I would love to see What if sections given an RFI, Chat and WIP. I started this post to see if there is the interest and hopefully one the mods might grant us the ability to inject some more life here.

Surely it can only be a good thing. I fancied a F-111 Whiff myself.

Rob ;)

• Like 1

I'd love to do a RAF F-111K. Here's my whif hopelist:

TSR.2 in RAFG

TSR.2 in Granby

Hawker P.1121

Hawker P.1154

BAe P.1216

RAF F-16A

RAF F-111K

Sadly I only have the two TSR.2 kits at hand.

• Like 1

The TSR 2 is awesome!!

I picked up an Italeri F-117A today were any RAF squadrons slated to fly it? I think it was mentioned in a conversation by Mike McEvoy relating to a Tailpiece article but can't remember details. I've stuck a thread up elsewhere and been gently reminded by Mike that there is a WHIFF section here :blush:

That's what all the girls say.....

I was going to make a comment about the English crickets team but didn't want to upset too many people!! :P

Like this, Rob?

DSCN2911.jpg

David

Nice!! :speak_cool: the short wing F-111's do look a bit strange though, ours had the longer wings from the FB-111. I just missed out the other day on the nose cone for an F-111B (Navy version), that would look nice in the later USN colour schemes.

I like your TSR-2 as well, didn't relise how big it was compared to the F-111, I only have a 1/144 version by Pit Road (it's in the 1/144 GB section).

I guess now I'll have to start up the threads for the He-177 "Zwillings". Will treat this as if it was the GB, so I'll have to work on the background story as well, so keep an eye out in this section for it. I'll be starting the Anti-Shipping version first, think i'll throw some Eduards bit at it as well!

The hardest part will be the colour scheme, have some Lo-Vis schemes in mind, sort of based on actual scheme......will have to see.

Will folks we're here so lets get crazy!! :yahoo:

Jockney, please keep your pants on! :P

• Like 2

Can I [or should I say 'dare I' ] post this photo of a silly Whif I did on another forum?

There was a half-believable story to go with it;

SpitfireWhiffery19s_zps8b7b2baf.jpg

Original build & story can be found here:

http://www.uamf.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=253&t=7742&start=30

I like to have fun with Whifs, but thats the silliest one I've done so far.

• Like 3

there's no such thing as a silly WhatIf, it's all about having a bit of fun.

it's a great way to clear one's self from "modellers block" and clear the cobwebs from hours and hours oh serious modelling!

Counter-rotating props!!! :speak_cool:

Lately I've found that What-if modeling is a lot of fun. I just finished a Williams Brothers 1/48 Ford Flivver, but some parts were missing, and some of the decals, so I built it as a What-if. I'll post a couple of pictures here soon.