1/48 Kittyhawk Mirage F1

Hello!

Outstanding work so far, very impressive. I'm looking foward how do you managed the the sight of the rear landing gear. I read that the gear is wrong in it's angle and 5mm to long, but I'm not sure if it is true. What is the best resin seat for this model? I will buy two for the B version. Udo.

Hello!

...............I'm looking foward how do you managed the the sight of the rear landing gear. I read that the gear is wrong in it's angle and 5mm to long, but I'm not sure if it is true. What is the best resin seat for this model? I will buy two for the B version. Udo.

Hi Udo,

The landing gear is not really too long, it's more a matter of it not attaching to the wheel bay at the correct angle on this kit. The main gear struts simply needs to be mounted at an angle a little more forward than what the kit will have you mount it. The little hole into which the gear mounts needs to be drilled out as it is a "half moon" shaped hole which have you mount the gear at an incorrect and too much aft angle. Once the mounting hole is drilled out you can adjust the gear to the correct angle using reference pictures of the real thing.

As far as the seat is concerned, it differed from user to user. Most F1's in their twilight years of service were fitted with the Martin Baker Mk10 seat. This was not an option applied to the South African F1 fleet. The most accurate seat for the SAAF F1's is the Pavla Martin Baker Mk4 seat.

Victor

Edited by horrido109

Fortunately I finished painting the tail planes first. Once they were done I applied some clear cote, with disastrous effects! This is the first build where I decided to try a new clear cote and to my (unpleasant) surprise I found out that it dissolves Modelmaster lacquer paint. Almost like melting it, letting the black of the pre-shading through:

117_zps70d86185.jpg

118_zpsdcfa81f9.jpg

119_zps804ae3ef.jpg

120_zpsaef5022f.jpg

And the culprit:

126_zps8320a346.jpg

Edited by horrido109
  • Like 1

Judging the picture I think your airbrush was not totally clean before applyingthe could, is that possible? Though not a user of Alclad Gloss myself I've seen some fine results.

Cheers Evert

Hi Evert,

My airbrushes are clinically cleaned before I use them, so it is definitely not that. Below is a picture of the tails before the clear cote was applied, I think you will agree that it is not the airbrush's fault:

A_zpsb883f590.jpg

The effect of the black showing through on the previous pictures is the result of the clear cote dissolving the top layer of paint.

Edited by horrido109
  • Like 1

Decals done. The SAAF Mirage F1's had basically no stencilling applied when the new low viz scheme was introduced (finally they considered the modeller.. :P). So it's a very quick process and the "Dark Mirages" decals went on beautifully. In the beginning of the testing process for the new low viz scheme, standard insignia was used and quite moderately over sprayed resulting in a very toned down effect. Now I just have to wait for the clear cote to cure before toning the lot down:

C_zpsdee1bf65.jpg
Copyright D. Wingrin

21_zps1502c841.jpg

22_zpsa168acb4.jpg

23_zps22c88a2a.jpg

24_zps2c38c20b.jpg

26_zps14864f34.jpg

Victor

Edited by horrido109
  • Like 2

Hi Evert,

My airbrushes are clinically cleaned before I use them, so it is definitely not that. Below is a picture of the tails before the clear cote was applied, I think you will agree that it is not the airbrush's fault:

The effect of the black showing through on the previous pictures is the result of the clear cote dissolving the top layer of paint.

Of course I will agree, it was just a thought :-).The last sentence clarifies what was the cause. Nevertheless excellent modelling!!

A little more progress. I've weathered the paint somewhat as well as applying a wash to the whole model. Insignia now also toned down to the low viz theme. Still a long way to go though.

31_zps0ba681c4.jpg

32_zps34820525.jpg

33_zps09f485ad.jpg

34_zps39de01cb.jpg

35_zps99d9b662.jpg

36_zps804119df.jpg

37_zps9b6a5cfd.jpg

38_zps6564a8c1.jpg

Victor

Edited by horrido109
  • Like 5