1:48 FAA Helldiver decals

rodenlee

I am researching a 1:48 RN FAA Helldiver build and have seen one such model. Can anyone point me in the right direction for decals of this aircraft? I have seen them in 1:72 scale (in a Yanks with Roundels set from memory) but cannot find them in 1:48.

Any help wopuld be much appreciated.

Regards

Shaun

I don't think it's ever been done in 1/48. But it would be easy enough to do a trials aircraft using generic markings.

You may find this old thread helpful in terms of the minor mods required, if you have not already seen in:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34787-faa-helldiver/

As the photo from the thread mentioned above has dropped off (after the Photobucket re organisation!) I`ve attached a couple here in case they can be of help;

32_zps97eef8d8.jpg

1-title_zps24554a36.jpg

The decals came from the spares box or Modeldecal sheets and the unit insignia was hand painted onto the model. The initial blue outline was painted on using Polly Scale Azure Blue and then a fine brush was used to recreate the rest,...it was quite easy and well worth the effort. If you don`t fancy that one of the custom decal manufacturers might be worth a try,......they could also do some of the red codes with white outlines which are sorely needed by Fleet Air Arm modellers!

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony

Thanks very much for the photos.

I can't enlarge them enough to clearly see the squadron insignia.

Did you have a reference picture to go from?

Thanks again Tony

Regards

Shaun

It is a sword flanked by a pair of yellow lightning flashes with a white cloud above them,......if I remember correctly it was taken from the squadron badge and I also used a blown up copy of the artwork drawn by the late Mike Keep in Scale Aircraft Modelling as reference, it was from an issue which had American Aircraft in FAA service as the Aircraft in Detail subject.

I cannot find the magazine now,..otherwise I`d scan a copy for you,....maybe somebody else has it?

There is also some good British Helldiver info in the Crowood Helldiver book,

Cheers

Tony