Douglas D-558-2 - questions

Dock_Ru

Good afternoon!
I do the Douglas D-558-2 model on the scale of 1/48. There are some questions to reputable community.
1 . Photos the plane from below, especially in the field of an exhaust opening of the jet engine are necessary.
2 . Photos of niches of the chassis.
The book naval fighters 57 is available.
The Internet reconsidered. Perhaps photos on any unevident resources lie?

The Internet, NASA and Flickr - for a long time everything from there is downloaded.
Seldom published photos or links to sites with unevident contents are looked forPS. I use translate.ru, I apologize for possible mistakes in translation

I started doing - and I hope to complete - two-engine option with additional fuel tanks on an external suspension bracket.
Therefore the bottom views on exhaust nozzle are so important.
I agree even to video - but that this place was visible!

Probably, machine translation can't translate everything as it is necessary - therefore once again I will specify.
Me exhaust nozzle of a turbojet and a place round it, sheathed by metal interests.
Photos of the rocket engine are in a large number and big permission and questions don't cause

Igor from snow-covered Russia

Edited by Dock_Ru

Hello Igor,

I don't have the Naval Fighters #57 book that you have, but the book "Skystreak, Skyrocket & Stiletto", also by Scott Libis and even though there's a good deal of detail visible in the photos, the wheel wells and the jet exhaust aren't visible either. Does your book feature the drawing where you can see the position of the jet engine inside the fuselage?

Also, have a look here though: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_v_socal/8223609202/sizes/o/in/photostream/ you can see the patch that covers what once was the recess and shield for the exhaust. I'm afraid, that's probably all you have to work with. Are you building the Collect Aire kit?

Another option would be to look for the very old Revell kit. It is "box" scale, (around 1:65 I think) and very crude, but at least you might be able to make some measurements regarding the exhaust position. Or the 1:72 Special Hobby kit - it has the exhaust opening as well, although I doubt that they had any more information than we have. As the Revell kit was tooled in 1955, they were probably a bit closer to the source as well.

All the best

Jeffrey

Hello, Jeffrey!

Thank you that paid attention to my post and I tried to help.

The matter is that I validly have Naval Fighters 57 alive, and from the book about the experimental planes Douglas D-558, D-558-2 & X-3 Stilletto I have practically all illustrations in high resolution.

As I rather densely reconsidered available storages of a photo on the Internet, including Flickr, a site NASA and other, but and exhaust jet didn't find distinct images of niches of the chassis (there is something, of course, but it would be desirable more).

Therefore asked for the help English-speaking colleagues - can, there are any unknown to us a deposit of useful information?

To a question of model - I begin independent production of the plane (scratch-build) as in the scale 1/48 necessary to me nobody does it, and there is a wish to have it at myself. And, as, chassis niches, the cockpit and exhaust jet is the first that it is necessary to make, I try to find information on the plane.

Igor from snow-covered Ural

Hi Igor,

Special Hobby, I think, make a 1/72 version of the D558-2 with the jet engine. That may help you if you can find one or some pictures of one that has been built

John

Have you seen Ed Heinemann's book 'Combat Aircraft Designer'? There is a side view drawing in there showing the interior layout with the jet engine position.

John

Have you seen Ed Heinemann's book 'Combat Aircraft Designer'? There is a side view drawing in there showing the interior layout with the jet engine position.

John

I think this is the same drawing that is in the Libis books. As far as I can see it, the exhaust was just a pipe, cut off at a shallow angle, resulting in the elongated elliptic opening. There is a picture of the J-34 that was used, showing the angled-down tail pipe as well.