"Against A Dark Background" - Scatch Sci-Fi

One final update for tonight.....A very small mock-up indeed, specially for Kallisti:

408290781.jpg

I reckon that with a bit of work it might look rather nice posed with, say.....A triple hulled submarine! :coolio:

If you don't know what I'm on about, read the chapter linked in my last post. :smartass:

get a proper one...

022_zps0e93d876.jpg

currently surviving man flu,and going purpely due to two bottles of hot vimto downed,almost as nice as pernod?

don

• 2 years later...

Been a long time, but I'm still faffing with these.....The flying-boat is very badly stalled (mostly for want of electronics nouse), but I've been messing with the ATV on and off for a while. Well, when I say messing what I mean is filing, and then filing some more, followed by some filing.....It's absolutely staggering just how much plastic I've filed off the hull of this thing in an attempt to square it up a bit:

AADB%20ATV%20002_zpsf3tvfk28.jpg

Once Im satisfied that it's as square as it's going to get (ie: not massively), I will drill a hole in the roof for the gun mount and section the hull into three parts; front, left rear & right rear.....Then I can start work on the interior! :mental:

• Like 5

Cheers dude.....I've just slapped some filler onto the hull, I'm trying to use as little as possible (I would have used Milliput, but mine's gone funky), but the thing's absolutely smothered! Too embarrassed to take pictures until I've sanded it down. :blush:

Given the amount of filler I've had to use on the roof, I may have to restrict myself to chopping the hull in half vertically just aft of the gun mount.....I may add a small spacer where I make the cut, both to lengthen the hull slightly and to disguise my hacking! :winkgrin:

It very nearly came to a calamatous end last night. :suicide:

My green putty is at that stage in its life-cylcle where real physical effort is required to force it out of the tube, so I decided to give it a bit more 'bite' by mixing it with liquid cement. My new super-putty in combination with my earlier copious filing had a fairly catastrophic effect on a couple of areas of the hull.....The tiny model barely survived and major structural repairs were required! :doh:

PS - Just had another look at it and even after major surgery things are not looking good for the tiny ATV, the left rear hull is in a shocking state! :shutup:

PPS - However.....We can rebuild it! :mental:

• Like 1

My green putty is at that stage in its life-cycle where real physical effort is required to force it out of the tube, so I decided to give it a bit more 'bite' by mixing it with liquid cement.

I now decant my green putty (as it starts to dry out) into one of those little jars that hotels supply honey and jam in and revive with a little cellulose thinners. Works a treat and I find it easer to use than straight from the tube.

• Like 2

Sounds like an idea, I've got some suitable glassware. :coolio:

Anyhow, I've restored some order to the hull:

AADB%20ATV%20005_zpsmw45opmv.jpg

AADB%20ATV%20006_zpsc3jgl0kd.jpg

Those mockups convinced me that while the hub pattern of the tyres is pretty much exactly what I want, they are far too skinny for a futuristic ATV.....Which led to this madness:

AADB%20ATV%20007_zpswpfci8x7.jpg

To my utter disbelief it actually worked:

AADB%20ATV%20008_zps3dsbp9ks.jpg

One down, five to go.....Wish me luck with the rest of 'em (I'm probably gonna need it)! :mental:

• Like 1

Good idea SS, but I think it should be OK......The only really rough bits will be on the inner face of the tyres and I'll put the roughest tyres in the central position, hopefully you won't be able see the worst of it! :pray:

I've added some 'fenders' in an attempt to further square things up (this was a truly wonky little kit, believe me) and the hull is once again slathered with filler, but this time it's trusty old Milliput, so hopefully my next installment won't be quite so dramatic as the last couple. ;)

• Like 1

It's pretty much welcome back to modelling TBH Pete.....Went through a 'Long Dark Teatime Of The Soul' for a while there. :confused:

Here's where we are at as of this teatime:

AADB%20ATV%20010_zpsx6kjkgf9.jpg

It's far from perfect, but it's quite a bit squarer and sturdier than it was.....Almost time to cut it in hallf again! :mental:

My plan is to add a 1mm spacer in the cut, profiled to act as a bulkhead seperating the cockpit/fighting compartment from the payload bay. This way I can build most of the cockpit detail on one side and slot it into the front section of the hull when I close it up. :coolio: .

• Like 2

Don't suppose any of you chaps would happen to have a couple of 1/144 figures, one seated & one standing, that I could beg, borrow or buy.....I figure the scale of this thing to be in that ballpark and it might prove helpful when working on the interior. :shrug:

Cheers dude, glad you like it.....It now has all six wheels, they're a bit inconsistent, but nothing too intolerable. I may have a poke around in the stash for another Academy Kubelwagen kit (the wheels are useless for the intended subject, way too small) and replace a couple of them. :pipe: