2013, what happened?

Bengalensis

Well, 2013 has been a very mixed year for me, in many ways. I only managed to finish seven models. I would have expected more, but maybe next year... Anyway, this is my result for 2013:

First was Ayrton Senna's gokart in 1/20. Started late 2012 but finished in the first days of January. It's the Fujimi kit with a little tweaking to display it in action.

Senna_kart_10.jpg

Senna_kart_11.jpg

Then came Ignis, dressed in black. A resin kit with quite a number of parts and work required. She's about 25 cm tall. I'm really happy with how she turned out, especially that I managed to paint her eyes to my liking, and on my first attempt.

Ignis1.jpg

Ignis3.jpg

Ignis4.jpg

I then followed with yet another of these resin figures, this lady is about 32 cm tall. Her MG42 is from the 1/6 Dragon kit.

TK_2.jpg

TK_3.jpg

Next was the Motorcycle GB where I built this old Revell 1/12 kit from 1971, the Kawasaki 500 Mach III. It got a little detailing and better tyres from a more recent Tamiya kit. I hadn't built a bike in ages and it was also a very enjoyable GB.

MachIII_100.jpg

MachIII_103.jpg

For the Le Mans GB that followed I chose the Nissan DeltaWing of Highcroft racing from the 2012 race, a 1/24 resin kit from Profil 24. It was an interesting challenge with the satin black finish.

Deltawing_50.jpg

Deltawing_52.jpg

Next to be fished was miss Morte, another resin figure in a style I like. She sits 24 cm high in total.

Morte_3.jpg

Morte_5.jpg

Then I finished this one in the Helicopter II GB, a build way out of my usual comfort zone, and also one I really enjoyed. It's Hasegawa's 1/48 Sea King SH-3D with some Eduard cockpit PE and decals from Apollo decals, finished as it would have looked just before lifting of for the Apollo 11 rescue.

SeaKing_50.jpg

SeaKing_51.jpg

It actually looks like LZ127 Graf Zeppelin will be that last one finished this year. I had to think twice, but it seems I only worked on some models since, but didn't finish anything after this one. It's the old Hawk/Lindberg kit and I actually didn't even build all of it myself, as it was donated to me by a friend with the main parts glued and half finished seams. I finished off the build and did all the painting.

LZ127_1.jpg

LZ127_4.jpg

Then in late September, having done a lot of work on both my Vasa and Golden Arrow projects that can be seen in WIP threads, I sort of "hit the wall", pretty hard. The modelling drive also vanished for a while as a result. I'm working on the recovery and at least I'm now starting to feel the inspiration to build something again, so hopefully the LZ127 will not be the last finish for too long.

• Like 9

I wouldn't know where to start with those figures, very nice indeed. The Kawa Mach 3 I remember making as a boy and it's great to see another ( much better built one) after all these years. The SH3D is superb, again another blast from the past for me as I remember the real thing doing the Appollo recoveries all those years ago.

I hope your return to completions is swift, I look forward to seeing 2014's output from you.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Brilliant work, it's great to see all these in one place. Your photography is great as well - you manage to combine casual settings with technical excellence.

I probably asked this before, but are Ignis' skirts translucent resin, or is it trompe l'oeil paintwork? It looks amazing either way!

Will

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys. I'm doing some slow recovery and at least I'm closer to start building again now than a month ago, so hopefully before too long...

Ignis' lovely skirt came cast in clear (or rather milky) resin in several parts. After making that into three main parts I airbrushed a lot of Tamiya clear smoke, varying the coverage to get the effect I wanted, darker down in the wrinkles and higher up. Then gloss clear on the inside and satin on the outside.

Jorgen, you never cease to amaze me - your skills certainly put you on another level. All are a joy to look at. I liked the slight bit of whmsy with the Castrol can next to the bike. I hope 2014 marks a definite new start for you.

• Like 1

Jorgen, you are a truly gifted man. I just went back and scrutinised that milky resin skirt - I could not see a joint anywhere - not sure how that is possible.

I am also amazed by this flying over your house:

LZ127_4.jpg

Great that you captured it, I did not realize there were any still flying.

Edited by Nigel Heath
  • Like 1

Lovely stuff, particularly liked the whacky Le Mans car and the Go Kart is a lovely piece of work. As for the ladies... well excellent skin tones and nice work on the translucent skirt!

• Like 1

Jorgen, I have been thinking about your models and I have come to the conclusion that I don't think I have ever seen such a diverse and eclectic group of models from one person before. You skill is truly exceptional. I would like to therefore bestow on you my imaginary award of:

Jörgen Stendahl - International Best Britmodeller of 2013 :clap:

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for all the kind words and praise guys, it really warms my heart. The autumn and start of winter have been particularly difficult times this year, well the winter always is for me :fraidnot: , but more so than usual for various reasons. But I'm looking in my stash and boxes again, making up little plans, and not least enjoying this forum a lot, so that's good signs at least. Just need to make up my mind and get going at something now.

Nigel, I'm very humbled by your special award. It's a very nice gesture that I appreciate a lot, but then I can think of several international Britmodellers who both equal and better me, as they have shown in build threads this year and may well, hopefully, show in this yearbook. I really shouldn't list names as I will miss out several of them, but just look at Will Vale's work for example... wonderful stuff. And then all the British modellers of course... Here is a great place to be.

:grouphug:

I am also amazed by this flying over your house

Share a bottle of wine or two or something on our balcony a summer evening, and you'll be amazed of what's passing by down at the lake and flying past over your head... :wicked:

• Like 1

I can think of several international Britmodellers who both equal and better me

Well I've not seen them, post me links and I will make an evaluation. Oliver's Huey build is truly incredible but that spans several years and had to be discounted on a technicality.

I have not made the British award yet, I am still weighing up the entrants, the competition is very stiff of course and needs a lot of thinking time. Just to be frank with everyone, I am open to bribery.

Share a bottle of wine or two or something on our balcony a summer evening, and you'll be amazed of what's passing by down at the lake and flying past over your head... :wicked:

Your words seem to imply you managed to photograph an hallucination which it even more impressive.

Edited by Nigel Heath

Love the picture of the Airship.

That said, judging by the shadows of the trees and the wall of the hut in full sun, shouldn't the front of the Airship be in full sun too?

Yes indeed, the whole experience was quite surreal. I heard the ship coming in a distance, didn't know what it was first, then as it turned towards us and came closer, our sun shading umbrella sort of grew as it approached. When the ship passed us, our umbrella had grown out of all sensible proportions, and the ship actually passed under it(!) when I managed to get that photo. It was all a very strange and overwhelming experience. I will never forget it. I swear there was no acid in my wine that evening, honest. :hypnotised::pipe:

:wicked:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...