Phantom conversion, USA to UK- Nearly there!

HL-10

I have been following this thread with amazement and can only commend you on your skill of hand and dedication to this conversion.

However, As an ex Phantom Liney I do have a comment regarding your exhaust/ afterburner assemblies, especially as depicted in post #45 above:

100_2714.jpg

I don't recognise the detail you have scribed on the trailing edge of the nozzle exterior (Castelations or petals?) as being a feature of the Spey as fitted to the F-4K's and M's, and a quick scan through some of my references doesn't seem to show it either-

Now its been a couple of decades since I had my head up the back end of one of these, and I only worked on 43(F) so can't be sure that other squadrons had a different fit, but I'm not aware of it.

Are you working to photographs or to different scale kit parts for this detail?

Cheers,

Troffa

Troffa,

Yes you a right!

I have got them wrong!

I was working from a set of exhausts from the Hasegawa 48th scale FGR-2 and they have those details.

Having spotted this "oops" I took some close ups of the Spey at Hendon and my next set of cans (Third time lucky!)

should be closer to the real thing!

Great work so far, I've been following this with great interest (although I'm not a 1:32 builder generally)!

As for the engines, one other thing I noticed in the above picture: it could be the angle of the photograph, but it kind of looks like your engine/exhausts are more or less straight or horizontal. For me a very distinctive feature of any Phantom, but the Spey ones in particular, is the downward angle of the exhaust. As I said, it could be just the picture, but it might be worth checking this over.

I'm looking forward to your next instalment!

Jeffrey

• Like 1

You're doing a super job on this. There seems to be a fair few of these conversions going on at the moment which can only increase the probability of a new 'proper' kit :lol:

One thing you should be aware of - the rear cockpit in the FGR2 has a fair few differences to the FG1 although both are based on the early F-4J (which itself is closer to the F-4B than the 'late' F-4J cockpit provided in the Aires set). So far, Black Box have made the only aftermarket cockpit to correctly reflect the FG1 layout; Aires did get the FGR2 right but assumed the FG1 was the same as the F-4J(UK) :fraidnot: . So, if you plan to make a 892 NAS jet there's a little more work to do yet...

Here's the FG1 layout from the Aircrew Manual:

RNPhantomFG1RearIPstd.jpg

RNPhantomFG1RearRHstd.jpg

RNPhantomFG1RearLHstd.jpg

If you'd like the FGR2 layouts to complement the photos you took at Hendon, I have those too.

HTH

Jonathan

• Like 3

Jonathan, thanks for that!

I believe you have posted these images else where on BM?

I did find them during a search but I would be very grateful if you would put up the FGR-2 cockpit here.

Thanks again :)

Thanks for the photos!
I think we took the same set at Hendon, its just a shame that the port side of the cockpit is virtually out of sight
from the viewing platform.

Thanks again for the pics, they'll be very useful. :):thumbsup2:

I've had a go at the rear cockpit instrument panel.

I'm happy to get something that looks close.

I'm not striving for 100% accuracy as I just don't have the skills.

Based on the drawing and photographs I have taken and found here (Thank you every one :) )

I have started to modified the kit parts and the Aires bits.

The bit circled in red has been shaped from a resin pouring plug from the Aires set and will form the base for the left hand console.

100_2855.jpg

image hosting 15mb

The console is in place and I have made the bracket that holds the joy stick for the radar, it is going to be in the stowed position:

100_2856.jpg

take a screenshot

The consoles and screen are from parts trimmed from the kit parts and plastic card.

The kit's instrument panel is just placed on the part to see what it looks like.

This will need some modification to get it to look like an FGR-2 panel.

100_2859.jpg

image uploading site

Thanks for looking :)

• Like 1

Man, you are in the world series/super bowl/Stanley cup of modeling. Too much for me.

Can't wait for paint. Am following your build with great gusto.

• Like 1

Jonathan, thanks for that!

I believe you have posted these images else where on BM?

I did find them during a search but I would be very grateful if you would put up the FGR-2 cockpit here.

Thanks again :)

Yes, they're buried somewhere in a post in 'Cold War', I think about the RWR fit. It was simply easier to re-post them!

Here's the FGR2 rear cockpit:

PhantomFGR2-standard01.jpg

Twin Sticker:

PhantomFGR2-dualrear02.jpg

I don't seem to have uploaded the FGR2 side views into my PB library. Give me a couple of days and I'll sort those out for you.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this update is a bit of a jump.

Due to a camera malfunction, I have lost the pictures taken during the cockpit build:weep:

I have sealed up the cockpit and masked it off so it will be hidden until near the end now.

In the mean time, I have made the five small vent above the exhausts.

I cut a slot out of the fuselage where the vents are meant to be and using thing plastic card, I built them up:

100_2867.jpg

free upload

100_2868.jpg

image upload no size limit

Once they were done, I gave the whole airframe a cote of Humbrol primer, and a rub down with Micro Mesh:

100_2877.jpg

photo hosting

100_2878.jpg

imag

Next stage is finishing the main assembly, and then its a paint job!

In the post this week the centre line gun pod arrived.

So for something different to do, I put it together:

100_2865.jpg

free image hosting

100_2866.jpg

screen capture software

Now its time for a break.

Back soon! :)

• Like 2

Started to paint.

After the first cotes of greys, I masked the camo pattern with Blu Tac and masking tape:

100_2902.jpg

windows 7 print screen

Then on went the dark green.

With the masking removed, this is the result, so far:

100_2904.jpg

green shot

I used Xtra Colour enamels so it has a gloss finish ready for decals.

Next I have to paint the bare metal tail section.

In the mean time I'm working on the "fittings and fixtures", drop tanks, pylons, armament, undercarriage, etc, etc. :)

• Like 2