CF-104D Starfighter, Danish Air Force, Hasegawa 1/48

A fun build that was planned to be OOB, but thanks to Jens on this forum, I discovered that I didn't build a TF-104G, but a Canadair CF-104D. So a few minor modifications were made.

DSC_0582_zpsc60c4be3.jpg

The kit is excellent, great fit almost everywhere (and where I had problems, they were certainly due to my own limitations).

DSC_0593_zps42d9b13a.jpg

Painting Danish Starfighters is a real challenge. They were parked outside, and heavily weathered. And yes, the tanks (on this individual) were actually glossy. Later, all Starfighters (and Drakens) were re-painted in gloss green. And much more boring. :)

DSC_0589_zpsf69be135.jpg

DSC_0600_zps2657cc05.jpg

The decals are from Danish Hobby Shop Stoppel. Not bad, but not excellent. They were very thin, but a little bit blurry. I had some silvering problems with them, but I managed to solve most of it. Stupidly, the squadron badge was not included on the sheet, but I was lucky enough to find a similar one among my spare decals.

DSC_0598_zpsea9b5f1a.jpg

DSC_0591_zps66c9a24f.jpg

New position lights on the rear part of the body replaced the original ones.

DSC_0609_zps930b0627.jpg

First, the model was primed with Tamiya yellow. Then, I painted the weathered camouflage with Gunze colours, a number of different green colours were used.

DSC_0605_zpsf359cb61.jpg

And once again, this was a really enjoyable build! There will certainly be more Danes in the future!

• Like 13

Hi Bjorn:

You did a nice and wonderfully clean build, I am making one in 1/72 using an old but lovely and easy Matchbox F104G resurrected, but mine has been painted all green. I love the way you finished yours, and are tempted by build a companion to mine but this time a two seater as yours. Thank you very much for sharing.

One more thing: I was looking at your blog and all the masterworks there are simple wonderful :)

Cheers,

Edited by Luis Alfonso

Thank you, all! :) I have an idea of building an even more worn (oh, yes, there are plenty of examples of them) one-seater in the future. Actually, I felt that this one got a bit too clean. (True!) :) But next project is another Dane, a Lynx. And then it's time for the Christmas Build: A real odd thing: A Swedish Lancaster!

Hi!

Well done At the paint job. I think it is not so easy like the finished result shows. For me you did an excelent Double Seater. Please more Danish Dynamite. Udo.