Vulcan XM606 101 SQN 1970s A moody Airshow

Hi all I am still addicted to building Vulcan's and here is my latest one of the Dragon Vulcan's I have been making.

I actually made her in July this year but I have not got around to photographing her.
Sadly the weather is horrible and can't get any nice summer shots but maybe I will do some more of her in the future.
Ironically the weather yesterday when I shot her was just like the inspirational photos I worked from of her in 1977 at Leuchers
Here is the photo http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/MikePix/Leuchars%201977/VulcLeucXM606.jpg

I am really pleased with how she come out I really worked hard to get her camo pattern close as I could from the photos. I just wish I was around back then I would have loved that airshow.

Cheers all comments welcome good and bad as always.

xm606_zpsc57bfca9-1.jpg

xm606crop_zpsa0512d7d-1.jpg

xm606toheaven_zps4c2cbdd2-1.jpg

xm606ROAR_zps9b0f2d0e-1.jpg

xm606groundshaker_zps530be1b4-1.jpg

xm606climbout_zps5c2dcccc-1.jpg

xm606toppan_zps19d85d0f-1.jpg

xm606takeoff_zps7de40d77-1.jpg

null_zps6a9e1abf-1.jpg

null_zpsceab3fca-1.jpg

null_zps5dcc4800-1.jpg

null_zps3659378a-1.jpg

null_zps5bd1c21f-1.jpg

XM655ampXM606DISPLAY_zps2bbcb2b5-1.jpg

Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 3

Cheers Keith Indeed the roar is what its all about good fun eh,

As this was a 300 series engined Vulcan they literally did ROAR! rather than Howl apparently too.

Cheers Rob

Nice on Rob!

Bet the neighbours wonder what your upto!

Do you make the noises at the same time?!

Bet you do.

Rick.

Hi yes I think the neighbors might well think I am mad as will likely the Cessna that flying over at the time and can be seen in the last pic...

I will admit to being a big child yes I have picked them up and made the noise I have even gone to the lengths of making a big Airfix one with lights and sounds that's how tapped I am about Vulcan's....

As for the Neighbors its delightful entertainment listening to the arguments they have 24/7 when making models.. at least I think they are arguing !

If they are not arguing the baby is crying and if that's not having a paragraph to its self their chickens like to practice their singing... All good stuff.

I just wish I had an Olympus Engine in the cage down the garden to go and start up when I felt like it. The world would seem a better place then.

Cheers Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan
  • Like 2

Great build Rob ...love the photos :speak_cool:

Andy

Cheers Andy ;)

Great build and very atmospheric photo,s too!

Thanks mate ;)

Top job !! Id have thought it a much bigger scale if i hadnt seen your hand ! :)

Cheers Chris well your comment got me thinking about this and what a nice kit this little dragon is. Here I have edited in gimp my Airfix Vulcan (nearest) XM655 with this XM606 flying in the distance and you can see what a nice mould that dragon did of this kit. I think it has a lot of dimensional similarities with the Airfix kit I wonder if they used the same drawings as it has the same radome line which is not quite right. hmm

XM655ampXM606DISPLAY_zps2bbcb2b5-1.jpg

Cheers All Rob ;)

Edited by robvulcan

Looking good Rob, amazing what you can do with a Gimp, I had one once but broke it,(not to mention pool ball !).

That last one would have been quite a spectacular break at an airshow, not sure what the organizers would have thought !

Don't worry about the neighbours...... I've scared many off over the years.

As for similarities with the Airfix kit there are a couple of things that stand out, the rear crew porthole seems in the right place and the intake side plates are the right size.....but these could well have been adapted from the other kit.

• Like 1

Looking good Rob, amazing what you can do with a Gimp, I had one once but broke it,(not to mention pool ball !).

That last one would have been quite a spectacular break at an airshow, not sure what the organizers would have thought !

Don't worry about the neighbours...... I've scared many off over the years.

As for similarities with the Airfix kit there are a couple of things that stand out, the rear crew porthole seems in the right place and the intake side plates are the right size.....but these could well have been adapted from the other kit.

Hahaha. Yes It is an odd name for a computer program "GIMP" It usually has a darker meaning. Its a fantastic program whatever its called.

Yes they are a bit close on the last shot however they did fly them pretty darn close sometimes I have seen some footage somewhere of 3 Vulcan's flying very low and close to each other over a RAF base and I think over a Lancaster. Scary bit of footage to be honest a bit like watching Aluminium geese flying close in a V.

I really hope that time travel is invented soon I think one of the first places I would go would be to a late 70s Airshow. Plenty of people and a good chance to blend in and not get spotted. It would be the best morning cup of coffee and bacon butty ever with the commentator telling us whats in store... "today flying,,, victor, vulcans, nimrods, buccaneers, harriers, sea harriers, Hercules, Tornado, Jaguar, canberra, hawk, phantom, etc... man I was born in the wrong era I really was.

Cheers Mate Rob ;)

today flying,,, victor, vulcans, nimrods, buccaneers, harriers, sea harriers, Hercules, Tornado, Jaguar, canberra, hawk, phantom,

Sounds pretty much like every airshow I went to as a nipper and beyond !.....

man I was born in the wrong era I really was.

You didn't miss much mate..........except for the Lightnings, Hunters, Belfasts, Britannias, Comets and VC10's not to mention Voodoo's, F-100's, F-104's, numerous F-4's, Mirage III's, Viggens, Drakens, F-5's, Fiat G-91's, F-111's, TR-1's, SR-71's, etc, etc............oooh er I'd better stop now !

Scary bit of footage to be honest a bit like watching Aluminium geese flying close in a V.

Like this you mean Rob........not Photoshopped in any way...........just a good old bit of flag waving in the States, possibly Nevada, (Nellis), in the fifties.

ScreenShot001_zpsd02e4b69.jpg

ScreenShot003_zpsc1248a8b.jpg

Melchie..

• Like 3

We left Leuchars in 76.

I do remember attending the Airshows and seeing the Vulcans.

Very impressive when you are only 9 :)

Lucky you. I just about remember the last of the days when Airshows were top heavy with fighters that was Wroughton Great Warbirds 1992. I was my first airshow we went both days with my Mum and Dad and Grandad. It was, one of the happiest and most exciting days of my life. Everything was there drakens, the Vulcan, sally b, even a replica K5054. It was wonderful I even picked up my first Resin AM set up there for the Vulcan B1 old DB resin set which stayed in my modelling box from 1992 to 2008 when it finally got used..

Memories are great I just wish I could download them onto the PC then I could share and watch them back.

Cheers Rob ;)

Sounds pretty much like every airshow I went to as a nipper and beyond !.....

You didn't miss much mate..........except for the Lightnings, Hunters, Belfasts, Britannias, Comets and VC10's not to mention Voodoo's, F-100's, F-104's, numerous F-4's, Mirage III's, Viggens, Drakens, F-5's, Fiat G-91's, F-111's, TR-1's, SR-71's, etc, etc............oooh er I'd better stop now !

Like this you mean Rob........not Photoshopped in any way...........just a good old bit of flag waving in the States, possibly Nevada, (Nellis), in the fifties.

ScreenShot001_zpsd02e4b69.jpg

ScreenShot003_zpsc1248a8b.jpg

Melchie..

Ah yes there was a big list of cool stuff wasn't there. I really need that time machine..

Those photos are EPIC and of B1's no less too.. Nice

I actually have that movie which those stills are taken from somewhere on one of my hard drives its and amazing bit of flying considering the wing size and lack of visibility in the Vulcan. I often wonder how they go about flying tight formations is it all down to feel or careful mathematics’s and studying gauges.

It's a hell of a lot of skill I know that much.

Cheers Rob :)

• Like 2

Rob,

:wow: You certainly know how to take great photos that shows off your modeling skills as well photography artistery ..

Those are quire realistic and look AMAZING.

:wub:

the Vulcan looks impressive and your camoflage work is SUPERB..

The real Vulcan photos are a joy to behold too..

:worthy::thumbsup::worthy:

I often wonder how they go about flying tight formations is it all down to feel or careful mathematics’s and studying gauges.

I think you'll find Rob that a lot of it is down to intuition, and a Hell of a lot of practice. The lead guy flies the routine, the others watch and keep station with him sometimes using marks stuck to the glazing as reference points ! I know in the Soviet Union the Blinder crews painted thin lines on the fuselage and wings that lined up when viewed at a certain angle to keep station whilst flying low level demonstrations. Whatever it takes a lot of skill and practice....

The stills are screen grabs from the Cold War Jets video.

• Like 1

Rob,

:wow: You certainly know how to take great photos that shows off your modeling skills as well photography artistery ..

Those are quire realistic and look AMAZING.

:wub:

the Vulcan looks impressive and your camoflage work is SUPERB..

The real Vulcan photos are a joy to behold too..

:worthy::thumbsup::worthy:

Many thanks mate fantastic compliment that. I do my best Its all for the fun of it.

Cheers Rob ;)

Wot they said.

Nice one.

Pete

Taa Pete thanks mate ;)

I think you'll find Rob that a lot of it is down to intuition, and a Hell of a lot of practice. The lead guy flies the routine, the others watch and keep station with him sometimes using marks stuck to the glazing as reference points ! I know in the Soviet Union the Blinder crews painted thin lines on the fuselage and wings that lined up when viewed at a certain angle to keep station whilst flying low level demonstrations. Whatever it takes a lot of skill and practice....

The stills are screen grabs from the Cold War Jets video.

That is a lot of skill. and it must be a hell of an adrenaline rush too. The Blinder is a beautiful bird I would love to see one of them fly !

Cheers Rob ;)