1/72 Italeri F6F Hellcat

SimonL

I've been away from the modelling bench over 6 months. Combination of home stuff and work left me very under-enthused. So I've started this as a way of hopefully getting my mojo back. It is intended as a quick build - but we will need to wait and see as my last go at a quick build stalled.

So first the box and sprue shots (although I am guessing this is fairly well known kit).

Box top:

SANY2671_zpsbc8fca9d.jpg

Decals:

SANY2668_zpsefcf0a27.jpg

Sprues (after a quick wash):

SANY2672_zps859a206b.jpg

The intent is also to have a play with some Italeri acrylics that have appeared in my local hobby shop. The price looked pretty good, I'll try them out first just for the cockpit:

SANY2674_zps973f9218.jpg

Edited by SimonL

So we begin. I am going to do option B a gloss sea blue machine from the British Pacific Fleet, because (1) i like the markings and (2) no difficult masking. Not being very original, I am starting with cockpit, for which I am using as the main colour Italeri Flat Interior Green 4736AP. Interesting bottle for someone used to Tamiya screwtop jars. The paint is very thick but thins well with distilled water and goes on nicely with a brush. Picture below is after the first coat.

SANY2676_zps80546279.jpg

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1

Moving along. Cockpit tub completed. Nice and simple, dirtied up with some acrylic artists paint heavily diluted with self-shining floor polish (not future, but something similar), then brush painted with Tamiya Acrylic flat clear (XF-86). Again another new product for me. I normally use Humbrol Modelcote, but saw this in the shop yesterday and thought I would give it a try. Pretty happy with the results as well. Decals were a bit large for the surfaces but other than that very quick.

SANY2677_zpsb12979cf.jpg

Edited by SimonL

In no time at all wings glued together, fuselage buttoned up and then the two assemblies brought together.

SANY2681_zps94532899.jpg

SANY2684_zpse0d5e40f.jpg

SANY2685_zpsd043c371.jpg

No humongous gaps, may be a slight smear of filler needed and some sanding once the glue has cured. Thats it for this weekend. Off to Sydney for work this week so hopefully that will give me time to work out how to deal with the landing gear and the dodgy engine.

Edited by SimonL
  • Like 1

Progress this weekend.

Bit of filling and sanding and I was ready to address the landing gear. Having been warned that there was something a bit iffy about the gear (thanks Martin and Tony), I had a look with a dry fit:

SANY2696_zps784edf3a.jpg

That really doesn't look correct - way too vertical, and they also look a bit short. So following Tony's advice I glued in some plastic card on the wheel wells:

SANY2697_zps2fcaa48e.jpg

Then drilled out a more angled hole for the main landing gear legs. Final result doesn't look too bad:

SANY2706_zps85dfe4da.jpg

• Like 1

First coat of Gloss Sea Blue (brush painted Tamiya acrylic, X3 Royal Blue):

SANY2707_zpsa9e8b380.jpg

And then after the second coat:

SANY2713_zps797978ef.jpg

Probably needs a third thin coat, but I will do that after I have added the engine and its cowling.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the kind comments.

You've made the streaking habits of Tamiya acrylics into a fantastic effect!

Good work!

Erm, not actually intended :-), once the third coat is on that should reduce the effect. The flash photo is making it look a bit more pronounced than it actually is to the eye.

Wow.....That's worked incredibly well! :thumbsup:

Normally I'd recommend self-trepanning before brush painting Tamiyas! :shutup:

Many thanks - I know what you mean. It took a while for me to get used to them but now I am very happy. The quick water clean up and rapid drying is a big plus for me (and also they are very readily available here in Perth). Having said that I am interested in the Italeri paints and may continue playing with those into the future. Not sure how they will work for larger expanses of plastic.

Not much done this weekend, too hot here in Perth. Almost ready for decals. Engine and cowl added, third coat of paint (got rid of the streaks), and a coat of gloss. Engine was a bit of fun - one row of cylinders needed to be flipped around to be correct.

SANY2714_zps0664ad5d.jpg

In other news, look what I got for my birthday :thumbsup: :

SANY2714-2_zps6001cdaf.jpg

• Like 3

Nice brush work... I'm always impressed by those that get a good finish over larger areas with brushes....

The Italeri paints are rumoured to be re-packaged Vallejo. If that's the case they'll be really good and have very good brushing qualities...

Matt

• Like 1