Collector ring exhaust coloring

DJJunis

Hello All,

What is your favorite method for depicting a well used collector ring on engines for such aircraft as a Gladiator, Beaufighter , Sunderland etc. I was think of various tints of Alclad as I have seen the motorcycle and F1 car builders work wonders with that metalized finish on their exhaust. Of course the colors would be different but the heat transfer demarcation is very impressive when done well.

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

I use a base of Citadel Boltgun Metal. A touch of Citadel Tin Bitz here and there, followed with a light coat of well thinned Tamiya Transparent Blue to give a bluey tinge.

I've been happy with the results, though this photo of an uncompleted project doesn't really show it off as well as I'd like:

IMG_0769.jpg

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 2

Whatever color but *please* don't paint them bronze! That's an old chestnut that just won't die. Some may have had a slightly brownish tinge, but lots of modelers make them look like a Roman statue.

AMEN!!!

Bill - as an FYI, later marks of the Sunderland III had white collector rings (Enameled)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Whatever color but *please* don't paint them bronze! That's an old chestnut that just won't die. Some may have had a slightly brownish tinge, but lots of modelers make them look like a Roman statue.

Thanks for the replies Alan, Jennings and Bill...I am very much aware of the "bronze" myth...always wondered where it started...Humbrol me thinks LOL...In any case Bill's suggestions sounds interesting...wonder where I can get Citadel paints in the States.

Hi Bill,

If you cannot find Cidatel paints in the US, you can do it another way (dpending on what paints you have access to)

In this photo of my P 40 build, I painted the exhausts Humbrol "Polished" Steel and then using light dry brushing,

started out with Humbrol Antique Bronze and built up a burnt burnished look and then using Humborl blue 25, I again a slight dry brushing to impart the blue tinge (doesn't really show too well but looks good (to me)

FILE0384copy_zps5d943126.jpg

The Collector Rings were Steel, so using that as your base, you can build up the look you want.

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller

I'm just doing the Airfix Gladiator and just painted the collector ring, I used Humbrol 56 for the base colour then rubbed some ground HB pencil graphite into it which darkened it and gave it a bit of a sheen and then used some ground brown pencil lead to give it a very slight brownish tinge, looks good to me!

Wez

Bill - as an FYI, later marks of the Sunderland III had white collector rings (Enameled)

Also noted on Wellingtons and Beaufighters at least, no doubt it was common practice, though not universal. I can think of at least one picture of a Beaufighter showing one white ring, the other is bare (burnt) metal.

Another point to bear in mind, different types of collector ring were used on otherwise similar engines. Taking the Hercules as the type I'm most familiar with, some have a plain collector ring, others have what appears to be a step around it's circumference. This is a section which stands proud of the collector proper, as I understand it this is a shield so the glowing collector ring is less visible to enemy aircraft. The white coating was intended to perform the same function on other types.

The shield is exposed to less heat than the collector ring itself, different colours and shades in the metal are evident in pictures.

Cheers,

Bill.

Edited by Heraldcoupe

This may not be helpful but to my eye the colours I've seen on flying examples of aircraft like the Gladiator which have this type of exhaust seem to match the rear fuselage of the F100 Super Sabre which exhibits a range of colours, due the heat of the jet exhaust. It is a burnt metallic colour and that can vary according to length of use, whether serviced etc. etc, etc. One thing it isn't is a uniform bronze or copper.

This may not be helpful but to my eye the colours I've seen on flying examples of aircraft like the Gladiator which have this type of exhaust seem to match the rear fuselage of the F100 Super Sabre which exhibits a range of colours, due the heat of the jet exhaust. It is a burnt metallic colour and that can vary according to length of use, whether serviced etc. etc, etc. One thing it isn't is a uniform bronze or copper.

Absolutely correct, the metal will be exposed to different extremes of heat in different parts of the collector ring and will thus blemish differentially.

Wez

Just a quick query,

I have a book about the Stirling bomber and in it there is a statement from an ex groundcrew member about a special paint, or paint on coating that was applied to the collector ring to stop the "Glow" which would comprimise the aircraft at night over germany. Apparently it was a nightmare to maintain and apply.

I don't know if anyone knows any more, or has any further information on this, but I have often wondered if this treatment was the source of the Bronze coloured ring myth?

I would also assume that this same glow problem was apparent on the Halifax?

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn

Thanks John! I'll check it out...Are those paints water based? I'd prefer to use them due to the fume issues with lacquers ...such as Alclad...but I do use them if no alternative is available.

All the Best!

Don

Thanks John! I'll check it out...Are those paints water based? I'd prefer to use them due to the fume issues with lacquers ...such as Alclad...but I do use them if no alternative is available.

All the Best!

Don

As mentioned, yes water based. If you spray them, water (preferably distilled water) works best as a thinner. I have had much better results using water with Citadel paints than Tamiya's X-20A acrylic thinner.

In the UK the Citadel range has changed completely in that all their names - Boltgun Metal, Mithril Silver for example - have been superseded. I'm still trying to work out which is which.

People seem to say you can get them in gaming shops. Our local one doesn't carry them, but I've asked and they said they'd look into it.

Many people in the US know them as "Games Workshop" or "Warhammer" paints, rather than by the Citadel name, but I would expect a retailer to know that they are one in the same. There are US on-line outlets for them, some of whom work through the Amazon interface.

Jennings, I think the game and comics store in Radford that carried them has moved to Christiansburg. If they don't have them, I'm pretty sure one of the gaming shops in Blacksburg does.